Heavy Music Fan Going Soft

JoshuaRichard
JoshuaRichard
08/04/2017 6:20 pm

Okay,

So I'm a huge deathcore fan, and otherwise heavy music in general. But Lately I've been unable to stop listening to a band called 'This Wild Life'. They're so good it's crazy! They are just as tight in the studio as they are live. And I'll give you a little back story as to how I stumbled on them.

I heard their music for the first time with a cover of Bring Me The Horizon's 'Sleepwalking', and I thought it was pretty cool, but I never actually gave them a chance. So I had a crush on a girl online and followed her for a long time, and she recommended an album by them. I didn't get that into them, but I did buy their album 'Clouded' and listened to it a few times; didn't find it that amazing, but still liked it. Anyway, fast forward a few years, and now I have a hard time listening to anything other than them.

My favourite song by them is 'Pull Me Out'. I just can't get enough of them, I don't know why. Maybe something in my life triggered the relation between them and how I feel. Just breaking up with my girlfriend has made it easier to relate to them, but I feel horrible, because all of their music is about relationships.

Tell me what you think of them. Is it something you'd listen to right now? Or are they just "alright" like I initially thought?

# 1
wolfsmg
wolfsmg
08/05/2017 6:14 am

They're pretty good and I think I'll listen to more of them.

Here's a musician secret: Most musicians don't like just one genre of music. There may be one that they prefer to play, but we look for inspiration from as many souces as possible. When I started playing bass many moons ago (okay, decades ago) I was a huge punk-alternative-gothic rock fan. But while learning bass I was introduced to the blues, jazz, and funk. My musical "horizon" spread and hasn't diminshed since. (There are some genres that I don't care for, but there are songs in those genres that I'll tap my foot to and/or try to learn at some point.)

Just think of it as part of your evolution as a musician. And I don't think deathcore music would be very useful for serenading someone, unless that's the type of person you're looking for.

Have fun and happy practicing.

What is this "strumming" of which you speak?

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster "Kelli"[br]Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE "Callie"[br]Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar "Theresa"

# 2
Medalleon
Medalleon
08/08/2017 9:33 am

I really like them too... Break Down is the track that grabs me. As a beginner guitarist, this is very much the style of music I hope to be playing in the future. They're a pretty cool recommendation, JoshuaRichard. Thanks!

# 3
JoshuaRichard
JoshuaRichard
08/08/2017 4:41 pm
Originally Posted by: wolfsmg

[/quote]

Thank you for your input. :)

[quote=medalleon]

JoshuaRichard. Thanks!

No problem! Enjoy!

# 4
Tom Sklenar
Tom Sklenar
10/07/2017 7:25 am
Originally Posted by: wolfsmg

They're pretty good and I think I'll listen to more of them.

Here's a musician secret: Most musicians don't like just one genre of music. There may be one that they prefer to play, but we look for inspiration from as many souces as possible. When I started playing bass many moons ago (okay, decades ago) I was a huge punk-alternative-gothic rock fan. But while learning bass I was introduced to the blues, jazz, and funk. My musical "horizon" spread and hasn't diminshed since. (There are some genres that I don't care for, but there are songs in those genres that I'll tap my foot to and/or try to learn at some point.)

Just think of it as part of your evolution as a musician. And I don't think deathcore music would be very useful for serenading someone, unless that's the type of person you're looking for.

I would not say it better. Don´t be afraid, that you listen to more genres of music. As wolfsmg said, it´s natural musical evolution. I also started with heavy metal and it´s still my favorite genre, but from the time I started to play bass, I began to listen more and more things, such as jazz, clasiccal music, pop. I have dozens of artists and songs in each genre, which I like and enjoy while listening.

# 5
rmellette
rmellette
05/18/2018 5:39 pm

I've always been more on the mellow side.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.