Which band or artist presented you to rock?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > Which band or artist presented you to rock?

Kasperow

I think in my case, that would be Queen or The Beatles. When I was younger, we almost didn't listen to anything else, so for me, it would be those two bands.

I think in my case, that would be Queen or The Beatles. When I was younger, we almost didn't listen to anything else, so for me, it would be those two bands.

TravisWright

Iron Maiden. Somewhere in Time. Couldn't stop listening to Run to the Hills, Wasted Years, Alexander the Great I wore out just cuz. I was so young, I didn't care. If it had an electric guitar and was rebellious, that was rock.

If we want real rock n' roll... my first was the Almighty Led Zeppelin. Houses of the Holy and IV were bought simultaneously and wore those out too.

Iron Maiden. Somewhere in Time. Couldn't stop listening to Run to the Hills, Wasted Years, Alexander the Great I wore out just cuz. I was so young, I didn't care. If it had an electric guitar and was rebellious, that was rock.

If we want real rock n' roll... my first was the Almighty Led Zeppelin. Houses of the Holy and IV were bought simultaneously and wore those out too.

Andrew Tintle

Pink Floyd - "Delicate Sound of Thunder"

Some of my greatest memories growing up were the long drives my dad and I would take to our cabin. We would always listen to this album. The recording of "One of these days" from this concert is still one of my favorite live recordings.

We also had a Peter Frampton greatest hits with the full version of "Do You Feel Like I Do" - 16 minutes long I think. Pure awesomeness!

Pink Floyd - "Delicate Sound of Thunder"

Some of my greatest memories growing up were the long drives my dad and I would take to our cabin. We would always listen to this album. The recording of "One of these days" from this concert is still one of my favorite live recordings.

We also had a Peter Frampton greatest hits with the full version of "Do You Feel Like I Do" - 16 minutes long I think. Pure awesomeness!

RussellNelson

My parent were always playing 80's music like Bon Jovi, Van Halen, White Lion etc....

My parent were always playing 80's music like Bon Jovi, Van Halen, White Lion etc....

Joseph Kimbrell

I could have a couple of answers. So I'll give them to you!

1. My first modern rock CD was probably Sugar Ray's 14:59. Though I think I had some Elvis live CDs too.

2. What first got me actively listening, and really into music, was the Hurley999.com website in 1999 where I heard Goldfinger's "You Say You Don't Love Me", Blink 182's "Dammit", and Crumb's "Tonight". I loved all 3. Crumb's album is still one of my top 3.

3. What got me into metal was randomly deciding to buy Halford's "Live Insurrection" at the CD shop in 2001 just because it looked cool. Still my favorite live album! This segued into 80s music like Motley Crue.
VITNE - http://www.vitne.net

I could have a couple of answers. So I'll give them to you!

1. My first modern rock CD was probably Sugar Ray's 14:59. Though I think I had some Elvis live CDs too.

2. What first got me actively listening, and really into music, was the Hurley999.com website in 1999 where I heard Goldfinger's "You Say You Don't Love Me", Blink 182's "Dammit", and Crumb's "Tonight". I loved all 3. Crumb's album is still one of my top 3.

3. What got me into metal was randomly deciding to buy Halford's "Live Insurrection" at the CD shop in 2001 just because it looked cool. Still my favorite live album! This segued into 80s music like Motley Crue.
VITNE - http://www.vitne.net

Xr6

4 me nickleback did my heavy rock
animals the song was called

4 me nickleback did my heavy rock
animals the song was called

BLIND_FAITH

My First

I will show my age here. The first 8 Track I owned was in 1977. I was in 7th grade and i won the STYX II 8 track, selling magazine subscriptions, and I loved it. The first album, Vinyl, I bought was Ted Nugent, Double Live Gonzo, I still listed to that today, but on CD. From there I migrated to Iron Maiden, Deep Purple and Judas Priest. The band that changed everything for me was in college, The Smiths. It opened the door for me to expand my musical tastes in all directions. I'm still a huge Morrissey fan to this day.

My First

I will show my age here. The first 8 Track I owned was in 1977. I was in 7th grade and i won the STYX II 8 track, selling magazine subscriptions, and I loved it. The first album, Vinyl, I bought was Ted Nugent, Double Live Gonzo, I still listed to that today, but on CD. From there I migrated to Iron Maiden, Deep Purple and Judas Priest. The band that changed everything for me was in college, The Smiths. It opened the door for me to expand my musical tastes in all directions. I'm still a huge Morrissey fan to this day.

Dogsbreath8315

Full Access

Which band?

I live in the UK near Guildford & London - I cut my musical teeth on the bands of the mid - late 70's.

So whose that - well - Man / Uriah Heep / Wishbone Ash / Camel / Yes / Europe and then of course bands from the states started moving coming over - Van Halen / Aerosmith / Skynyrd etc.

The 70's in the UK had some great musicians and in my opinion this has been built on by some great bands from the states - Dokken / Tesla to name two.

Whats wonderful about the guitar is that it is just our own imagination that holds us back - an in my case skill.

Anyway back to practice............

Which band?

I live in the UK near Guildford & London - I cut my musical teeth on the bands of the mid - late 70's.

So whose that - well - Man / Uriah Heep / Wishbone Ash / Camel / Yes / Europe and then of course bands from the states started moving coming over - Van Halen / Aerosmith / Skynyrd etc.

The 70's in the UK had some great musicians and in my opinion this has been built on by some great bands from the states - Dokken / Tesla to name two.

Whats wonderful about the guitar is that it is just our own imagination that holds us back - an in my case skill.

Anyway back to practice............

JamiesonMinerick

For me it first started when I saw Kiss on T.V. Then a few years later a friend showed me Welcome To The Jungle and soon after, I borrowed the full album from my sister. At that point there was no going back.

For me it first started when I saw Kiss on T.V. Then a few years later a friend showed me Welcome To The Jungle and soon after, I borrowed the full album from my sister. At that point there was no going back.

efutak

Blind Melon's Mouthful of Cavities.

Blind Melon's Mouthful of Cavities.