Which band or artist presented you to rock?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > Which band or artist presented you to rock?

john of MT

Full Access

My introduction to rock was on the radio in the late 50's with what later became known as Top 40. But my rock guitar influences came later and at about the same time, Link Wray and Dick Dale. I saw Link Wray at a genuine sock hop...in socks, in the school gym in SIlver Spring, MD. It was my first call-her-up-and-ask-her-for-a-date--date. A few months later I was introduced to Dick Dale through Frankie and Annette's Beach Party movie. Curiously, I don't think I ever heard Dale on the radio until the surf music resurgence about 10 years ago.

I still get a warm feeling when I hear either's music...and chills when Misirlou comes on. (playing now )

EDIT: As soon as I finished this post and Misirlou ended I began streaming my local NPR station. The stream started right in the middle of Link Wray's Jack the Ripper. I'm having a good morning! It's not my grandfather's NPR station anymore.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins

My introduction to rock was on the radio in the late 50's with what later became known as Top 40. But my rock guitar influences came later and at about the same time, Link Wray and Dick Dale. I saw Link Wray at a genuine sock hop...in socks, in the school gym in SIlver Spring, MD. It was my first call-her-up-and-ask-her-for-a-date--date. A few months later I was introduced to Dick Dale through Frankie and Annette's Beach Party movie. Curiously, I don't think I ever heard Dale on the radio until the surf music resurgence about 10 years ago.

I still get a warm feeling when I hear either's music...and chills when Misirlou comes on. (playing now )

EDIT: As soon as I finished this post and Misirlou ended I began streaming my local NPR station. The stream started right in the middle of Link Wray's Jack the Ripper. I'm having a good morning! It's not my grandfather's NPR station anymore.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins

RoTel

Got my first LP, Grand Funk Railroad "Live" Album, for Christmas 1970. Paranoid, Are You Ready and Mean Mistreater were my favorite songs. WOW I'm Old!

Got my first LP, Grand Funk Railroad "Live" Album, for Christmas 1970. Paranoid, Are You Ready and Mean Mistreater were my favorite songs. WOW I'm Old!

StratoGee

Full Access

Talked my mom into buying a 45 (the only 45 I ever owned) of the Who- I Can See For Miles. Still love that song...then my brother sat on it and broke it. I made such a fuss that she offered to buy another, but I talked her into the Kinks LP - Greatest Hits ( I think it was about $3) and I never looked back. Still have that album, and many more, which I started buying with lawn mowing and paper route money. But the Beatles on Ed Sullivan was what gave me the first Holy Crap moment and made me seek out WLOF on the AM radio. Man I pity the kids of today for the lack of radio, the lack of talent and creativity available, and for the downloading/streaming experience. An mp3 DL just can't compare to listening to both sides of the vinyl (with headphones) and reading every available bit of info on the album cover and the inside sleeve. Yeah I know, older than dirt.

Side note: My daughter is the only one of her peer group that will wear one of her many Beatles t-shirts - and I take full credit for that! ;-)

I pick...therefore I am.

Talked my mom into buying a 45 (the only 45 I ever owned) of the Who- I Can See For Miles. Still love that song...then my brother sat on it and broke it. I made such a fuss that she offered to buy another, but I talked her into the Kinks LP - Greatest Hits ( I think it was about $3) and I never looked back. Still have that album, and many more, which I started buying with lawn mowing and paper route money. But the Beatles on Ed Sullivan was what gave me the first Holy Crap moment and made me seek out WLOF on the AM radio. Man I pity the kids of today for the lack of radio, the lack of talent and creativity available, and for the downloading/streaming experience. An mp3 DL just can't compare to listening to both sides of the vinyl (with headphones) and reading every available bit of info on the album cover and the inside sleeve. Yeah I know, older than dirt.

Side note: My daughter is the only one of her peer group that will wear one of her many Beatles t-shirts - and I take full credit for that! ;-)

I pick...therefore I am.

macRocker

The Beatles, Stones, Led Zepplin, but the Outlaws and 38 Special really made me want to play guitar.

The Beatles, Stones, Led Zepplin, but the Outlaws and 38 Special really made me want to play guitar.

jamesvette007

Full Access

For me it has to be THE BEATLES first, and then individuals and groups like Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clear Water Revival, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, B. B. King, and Clapton. There are so many others as well.

For me it has to be THE BEATLES first, and then individuals and groups like Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clear Water Revival, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, B. B. King, and Clapton. There are so many others as well.

gustavowoltmann2016

Hello guys, Gustavo Woltmann here. the band that presented me to rock are Radiohead, Blink 182 and Digital Bass a band from Panama. My favorite songs are Creep, Stay Together for the kids and Whoop. What about yours?
__
“I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later; publishers would publish anything that had my name on it.”
- George Bernard Shaw

Hello guys, Gustavo Woltmann here. the band that presented me to rock are Radiohead, Blink 182 and Digital Bass a band from Panama. My favorite songs are Creep, Stay Together for the kids and Whoop. What about yours?
__
“I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later; publishers would publish anything that had my name on it.”
- George Bernard Shaw

boothissucks

What got me to want to learn guitar the most would probably be early Def Leppard with Steve Clark. Since I'm not much of a Vivian Campbell fan... Or maybe even Steve Vai I know It will take forever but I'd just love to be able to do half of what he can do on guitar lol...

What got me to want to learn guitar the most would probably be early Def Leppard with Steve Clark. Since I'm not much of a Vivian Campbell fan... Or maybe even Steve Vai I know It will take forever but I'd just love to be able to do half of what he can do on guitar lol...

pheal

Hello everyone! For me it was Nirvana, David Bowie, Nada Surf, The Cure, Dick Dale, Stone Temple Pilots and most recently The Strokes.

Hello everyone! For me it was Nirvana, David Bowie, Nada Surf, The Cure, Dick Dale, Stone Temple Pilots and most recently The Strokes.

WarrenG1

A compilation album from The Who called "Meaty, Beaty Big and Bouncy" followed by The Pretenders first album and Quadrophenia

A compilation album from The Who called "Meaty, Beaty Big and Bouncy" followed by The Pretenders first album and Quadrophenia

benlorentzen

Elvis Presley: Jailhouse Rock. I saw it when I was 5 in 1974. The energy has not been matched many times since then.

Elvis Presley: Jailhouse Rock. I saw it when I was 5 in 1974. The energy has not been matched many times since then.