After a long hiatus…

jediford
Full Access
jediford
Full Access
06/19/2022 9:36 pm

Hello. I was very fortunate to be able to attend CMA Fest last weekend. It inspired me to dig out my guitar from under the spare bed. It's been at least 10 years since I touched a guitar. I would say my level is between beginner and intermediate. Frustration caused me to put it up as I never could get past basic chords. But now I am as motivated as I have ever been to learn to play and be at least somewhat good at it. The tools that are available now, like this website, blow me away. I am looking forward to it!

# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2022 4:49 pm

Welcome back to the guitar, and welcome to GuitarTricks!

You made a great choice to join this site - there are so many fantastic resources here.

You might warm up your old chops by going through the sections of my Guitar Fundamentals 1 Course, that focus on basic chords, and making nice smooth transitions from chord-to-chord. Lots of great tips and tricks.

Your hands will remember more than you might believe!

Once you 'wake them back up' to the basics, it will be so much fun to start exploring new things!

Once again, welcome - and have fun!!

Best wishes, Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/20/2022 6:07 pm

Welcome fellow country lover,

I can attest to what Lisa is saying about the hands remembering. My hiatus was somewhere near forty years and while everything felt new at first certain things are starting to come back to me. It's amazing what our brains can store long term. I've only been at it now for just under three years and thanks to Lisa and the other great instructors here I can't believe where I'm at now. [br]Take it slow though and listen their advice and your fingers will be flying in no time. [br][br]

Good luck,

Moe

# 3
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
06/20/2022 7:14 pm

Moe,

I had a similar experience, except I don't think it was my brain. That organ is not all that reliable for remembering physical tasks. I am convinced it was Muscle Memory that brought me back. I count on my spine (where muscle memory resides) for that.

jediford,

You can count on fretboard skills returning as you practice. This will be faster than starting cold. Yet another benifit of all the time you spent woodsheding back in the day. enjoy

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 4
jediford
Full Access
jediford
Full Access
06/20/2022 9:44 pm

Thank you all! I've been doing a little each day and you all are right. A lot is coming back. I've already picked up a couple of things on here that i couldn't do before so it's already paying off. I am definitely working through the fundamental courses and taking my time. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

# 5
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
06/20/2022 10:01 pm

Good deal. You on the right idea and are cleared for take off.... enjoy the flight.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 6
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/21/2022 11:17 pm

Oh, I am loving this conversation!

There is such support in this community.

- Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.