New player with a question

richjoan
Full Access
richjoan
Full Access
05/14/2022 10:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I joined a while ago, but did not practice too much and did not get involved in the forum. I have now decided its time to get serious.

I am currently 45% through the Anders GF1 course.

One question I have is in the fact that I cannot seem to find any information on the time input roughly expected for each course and each lesson and at what standard for each exercise etc I should be at before I move forward. As a new player, this is really tough to Figure out for yourself. I understand it will be different for different people but some sort of guidlines would be good.

Thanks all in advance.

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/19/2022 4:26 pm
Originally Posted by: richjoan

Hi everyone,

I joined a while ago, but did not practice too much and did not get involved in the forum. I have now decided its time to get serious.

I am currently 45% through the Anders GF1 course.

One question I have is in the fact that I cannot seem to find any information on the time input roughly expected for each course and each lesson and at what standard for each exercise etc I should be at before I move forward. As a new player, this is really tough to Figure out for yourself. I understand it will be different for different people but some sort of guidlines would be good.

Thanks all in advance.

Hopefully you'll come a the forum to give this a read.

The challenge is that people learn at a different pace. This makes 'time spent' not a specific measurable thing. You do know that since that what ya said :)

I would go to the extent of not even worrying about the amount of time you should spend. The best measure is you level of mastery of the 'thing' you're learning. That's still not a specific answer so it doesn't answer your question. For that matter, does 'mastery' best explain it?

Any measure I've ever used in learning something is; 'I'm comfortable enough with that'. The problem with a time measure is that some things will be easier than others. Don't spend time on something that you got comfortable with pretty quickly.

The method I apply (that I made up for myself) is a 'Move Forward but Look Back' method. I didn't realize in all my years of playing that I did this. My practice now is not about learning how to play since I've been playing for decades, but I do now spend a good bit of time learning new styles and disciplines.

For instance, I was watching a video on jump blues and wanted to learns some of the moves/licks. Lots to learn in this video so I just started to dig in on the licks and get a 'chunk' down. Next time I picked up on learning those licks, I started by working on the next set of licks but I went back to those original licks I'd learned. So as I learned and built the chunks of licks I worked on something new and then pulled the old licks back in at the end. It's a review but is instructive on building knowledge.

For you, you may not want or need to go back to all the GF1 lessons all the time but, back to mastery, after a time of 'Move Forward but Look Back', you'll be comfortable enough with a 'thing' to not have to review it anymore because it's just a part of your skills.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

# 2
richjoan
Full Access
richjoan
Full Access
05/19/2022 8:41 pm

Thats great advice, thank you very much.

# 3
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
05/21/2022 3:59 pm

Well said Jeff

# 4
esthersanchez1776
esthersanchez1776
05/22/2022 6:35 pm

I have a EPIPHONE express short scale electric guitar. Can I tune it to ...e a d g b e?

# 5
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
05/22/2022 6:47 pm
Originally Posted by: esthersanchez1776

I have a EPIPHONE express short scale electric guitar. Can I tune it to ...e a d g b e?

Yes, even the Les Paul 3/4 Express model has 6 strings. Any guitar with 6 strings can be tuned to standard open tuning.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 6
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
05/22/2022 6:54 pm
Originally Posted by: Music_Maestro

Yes, even the Les Paul 3/4 Express model has 6 strings. Any guitar with 6 strings can be tuned to standard open tuning.

It's actually mostly unavailable brand new these days. How did you buy the Express. Second-hand?

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 7
esthersanchez1776
esthersanchez1776
05/23/2022 12:40 am

Yes...Second hand, at Second Charles store.

Laredo, Tx.

# 8
esthersanchez1776
esthersanchez1776
05/23/2022 11:36 am

Now my mind is at ease. Now I can keep on practicing.

Thank you...

# 9
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
05/26/2022 4:29 pm

Yes...Second hand, at Second Charles store.

Laredo, Tx.

That guitar is a really nice find. Definitely worth holding onto. Wishing you heaps of fun in your guitar playing journey.

# 10
Gilbyesk
Full Access
Gilbyesk
Full Access
05/30/2022 1:15 am

Agree completely with Jeff. I made it through GF1 and GF2 and was working on Accoustic when I was disrupted for about 9 months with a major move out of the country. When I finally picked up the guitar again I decided to go back over 1 and 2. What I found is that I was able to skim through pretty quickly and even if I began a lesson and was feeling like wow this is like starting over again, in the end I could get it in 1 or 2 sittings instead of 2 weeks or longer. I enjoyed it so much I plan to go over them again since they have been recently replaced with a new instructor.

Moral of the story is you will build your skill and dexterity throughout the lessons and when you go back that "thing" will be easier so don't stress about pushing forward and just focus on having fun and doing what you need to do to keep interested.

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.