Hello - new guitar player here

ashleyk1211
ashleyk1211
01/22/2022 3:22 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Ashley. I am 46 years old and just started playing the guitar. After getting burned out with work the last couple of years, I decided to do things that bring me joy this year. I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar so I bought myself a Fender acoustic for my birthday in December and decided to give it a try. I have been doing these lessons for a few weeks now. I practice every night after my kids go to bed. And last night, I played my first song, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." I have enjoyed going through each of the lessons with Anders Mouridsen and he teaches at a good pace for me as a beginner. The "D" chord (known to me as "Damn it, D!") is the toughest for me so I would appreciate any tips from others who have struggled with this chord. I look forward to getting to know others in this forum...and happy playing!

Ashley

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
01/22/2022 5:24 pm

Hi Ashley, Welcome aboard.

We've all been there. All chords will feel awkward at first as your hands and fingers are told to do something they've never done before. Also your brain needs time to connect the dots as to what you are trying to do. All I can suggest is time and practice. Not the most glamorous answer you were probably looking for I know, but that really is the solution to most problems. I joined a few years ago and went through Lisa McCormicks Fundamental class. I haven't spent much time looking at Anders version so I'm not sure if he goes over the Spider Legs exercise or not but here is a link to Lisa's version. It's a good series of exercises to stretch and strengthen the fingers and get them limbered up before playing. They will help you and with a little bit each day you will make that D chord easily.

You've joined a great guitar learning platform with some of the best instructors in the world and the forum is filled with some really knowledgable players who are hear to help and inspire when needed. Just take it slow and have patience. It's gonna open up a whole new world for you.

Good Luck,

Moe

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=621

# 2
martiniconqueso
Full Access
martiniconqueso
Full Access
01/24/2022 7:13 pm

Hey Ashley,

Welcome! I had a heck of a time with 'D' also. I tried all sorts of things but never seemed able to get it down, play it cleanly, and be happy with the results. Until - I could. It just took a lot of repeated practice. There really wasn't any trick to it, other than just to keep doing it until something between my fingers and my brain "clicked" and it seemed natural.

Now it's 'C' - or specifically, changing into and out of 'C' - that is giving me fits. But that's fine - it's all progress!

=K

=Keith

# 3
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
01/25/2022 1:32 am

Ashley - you're definitely in the right place!

If you're having problems with "D", try moving your wrist a little farther under the neck.

# 4
MoCanada
Full Access
MoCanada
Full Access
01/28/2022 11:29 pm

Hey Ashley, Keep it up, the D will eventually get easier. I can relate to the "putting the kids to bed" then practicing. Been there done that. For me it's a great way to wind down in the evening.

This is a great website, you'll learn a lot. I like the feature to slow down the video. I use that a lot for the tough stuff.

Cheers, Good luck.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.