At 55 years of age..

Guitar Tricks Forum > Introduction Forum > At 55 years of age..

Steve6696

Full Access

Hi folks, Steve from Dunfermline, Scotland here.

Every 10 to 15 years since the age of 13 I decide to learn to play the guitar. Every 10 to 15 years I fail.

Hopefully this is the time I succeed, but fear I may be to old to learn. Time will tell..

Hi folks, Steve from Dunfermline, Scotland here.

Every 10 to 15 years since the age of 13 I decide to learn to play the guitar. Every 10 to 15 years I fail.

Hopefully this is the time I succeed, but fear I may be to old to learn. Time will tell..

William MG

Hi Steve, my father was born not far from you. Welcome to the forum!

I was almost 57 when I started 2 years ago. It's gone well. Be patient and take your time and keep enjoyment in it.

Best of luck.

"If it sounds cool, it is cool!"

Mike O

Works for me!

Hi Steve, my father was born not far from you. Welcome to the forum!

I was almost 57 when I started 2 years ago. It's gone well. Be patient and take your time and keep enjoyment in it.

Best of luck.

"If it sounds cool, it is cool!"

Mike O

Works for me!

markoneokelly

Hi Steve.I'm the same as yourself. Every 10 years or so i would pick up the guitar I've had for years, promise that this time I'd finally learn. I would play for three or four months learn a little more than i knew already then I'd get frustrated I wasn't learning quick enough or life, job, children etc would take over and i wouldn't touch it again for another ten years. I'm 56 now and signed up here yesterday. Maybe we can support each other in our quest to become old rock gods. Flip side. Mark

Hi Steve.I'm the same as yourself. Every 10 years or so i would pick up the guitar I've had for years, promise that this time I'd finally learn. I would play for three or four months learn a little more than i knew already then I'd get frustrated I wasn't learning quick enough or life, job, children etc would take over and i wouldn't touch it again for another ten years. I'm 56 now and signed up here yesterday. Maybe we can support each other in our quest to become old rock gods. Flip side. Mark

martin.bayly

Full Access

I think there are a lot of us out there.

I'm 54 and have had guitars for most of my life, but still feel like a beginner because I've never stuck at it consistently. I'm blown away by how many amazing "hobbyist" guitarists you see with incredible chops playing all over YouTube and am always left thinking why not me...

I came across a podcast recently where the host describes this issue as being a "Career Beginner" which feels like a great description for me.

Anyway, I got a good few months of solid practice/progression in last year but then lost my way again through the middle part of the year.

But I'm back at it again now. Just completed Rock 1 again which I first did about 7 years ago. About to start on Rock 2.

Maybe this time it will stick. :-)
Keep on pickin'. I don't think you're ever too old to have fun with it.

I think there are a lot of us out there.

I'm 54 and have had guitars for most of my life, but still feel like a beginner because I've never stuck at it consistently. I'm blown away by how many amazing "hobbyist" guitarists you see with incredible chops playing all over YouTube and am always left thinking why not me...

I came across a podcast recently where the host describes this issue as being a "Career Beginner" which feels like a great description for me.

Anyway, I got a good few months of solid practice/progression in last year but then lost my way again through the middle part of the year.

But I'm back at it again now. Just completed Rock 1 again which I first did about 7 years ago. About to start on Rock 2.

Maybe this time it will stick. :-)
Keep on pickin'. I don't think you're ever too old to have fun with it.

Steve6696

Full Access

Hey folks, love the replies thanks so much. Only on day 2 but just think with the lesson structure I'm going to stay the course. I'm going to check in with you all to see how things are going in a few months. Don't let me down!

Hey folks, love the replies thanks so much. Only on day 2 but just think with the lesson structure I'm going to stay the course. I'm going to check in with you all to see how things are going in a few months. Don't let me down!

martiniconqueso

Full Access

Hey Steve - There are quite a few of us Olds hereabouts. I was 56 when I joined GuitarTricks last summer. I had just bought my first guitar at the time. I joked that it was a lot better "mid life crisis" than a convertible sports coup. I am confident you are not too old to learn -

=Keith

Hey Steve - There are quite a few of us Olds hereabouts. I was 56 when I joined GuitarTricks last summer. I had just bought my first guitar at the time. I joked that it was a lot better "mid life crisis" than a convertible sports coup. I am confident you are not too old to learn -

=Keith

Little Owl

Full Access

Ha ! I agree ! A guitar is sooo much better than an convertible sports coupe !

I turned 55 lost October and joined Guitar Tricks last August. For me it was completely new, I almost never held a guitar in my life. I love it so far, I play everyday and like the idea of my guitar being a faithful friend for the years to come.

The only real failure is the failure to try.

Ha ! I agree ! A guitar is sooo much better than an convertible sports coupe !

I turned 55 lost October and joined Guitar Tricks last August. For me it was completely new, I almost never held a guitar in my life. I love it so far, I play everyday and like the idea of my guitar being a faithful friend for the years to come.

The only real failure is the failure to try.

emerydt

Full Access

Hey – What’s wrong with a sports coupe? I'm 66 years old now and I’ve had 3 and enjoyed every one almost as much as my guitar. But seriously, since I joined GT almost 2 years ago as a complete beginner, I can honestly say that it has been money well spent! I have taken off a week or two here or there and don’t practice nearly as much as I should but when I pick up my Martin (base model) it just feels like taking down the convertible top and cruising down a windy country road. Steve, I’ve learned so much here and look forward to learning a whole lot more. Don’t let your age get in the way and never stop learning.

Tom.

Tom

Hey – What’s wrong with a sports coupe? I'm 66 years old now and I’ve had 3 and enjoyed every one almost as much as my guitar. But seriously, since I joined GT almost 2 years ago as a complete beginner, I can honestly say that it has been money well spent! I have taken off a week or two here or there and don’t practice nearly as much as I should but when I pick up my Martin (base model) it just feels like taking down the convertible top and cruising down a windy country road. Steve, I’ve learned so much here and look forward to learning a whole lot more. Don’t let your age get in the way and never stop learning.

Tom.

Tom

Steve6696

Full Access

Great to see more replies. I'm racing through Anders' initial lessons and still loving it

Great to see more replies. I'm racing through Anders' initial lessons and still loving it

Rumble Walrus

Full Access

I'm 62, been playing on and off for about 40 years. Just finished my first year with GT. Mostly acoustic/fingerpicking and thought I'd finally get around to playing electric. Picked up a Grestch semi-hollow body, small practice amp and I'm finally playing the stuff I've been secretly wanting to play for years - including some of the new stuff I hear kids playing now.

I'm a pretty skilled fingerpicker but GT has helped me find some fundamental mistakes I was making using a pick, strumming, etc and that has really opened things up for me.

I'm driving my wife crazy with all of the noise but she says it keeps me out of her hair ;)

She made me close the door while trying the sweep-picking-metal riff the other day

I'm 62, been playing on and off for about 40 years. Just finished my first year with GT. Mostly acoustic/fingerpicking and thought I'd finally get around to playing electric. Picked up a Grestch semi-hollow body, small practice amp and I'm finally playing the stuff I've been secretly wanting to play for years - including some of the new stuff I hear kids playing now.

I'm a pretty skilled fingerpicker but GT has helped me find some fundamental mistakes I was making using a pick, strumming, etc and that has really opened things up for me.

I'm driving my wife crazy with all of the noise but she says it keeps me out of her hair ;)

She made me close the door while trying the sweep-picking-metal riff the other day