Newbie from rural france

Guitar Tricks Forum > Introduction Forum > Newbie from rural france

Sore.fingers

Full Access

Originally Posted by: jrosenberg1978

Hi all, novice guitarist been playing on and off and uncertain which "budget" guitars are good value for money for all round versatility. From some research I think I have narrowed down to a few options but just need some advice from someone with a bit more knowledge. Any help is appreciated.

Options:

Schecter omen extreme 6 diamond series
Ibanez TM302
Ibanez RC320
Ibanez ART120QA
Ibanez ART120
Squier Affinity Telecaster® Electric Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT

Any other recommendations welcome

thanks
Jarred

Hi Jarred, I'm a beginner myself and I play on 3 guitars now. An old accoustic Washburn J12SN (I bought this in my 20's, when I had a musical itch for the first time, but gave up because my teacher was kinda boring), a Squier Stratocaster (from a starter pack) I assume it is similar to the bullet (I listened to my wife who told me that for beginning, I don't need something expensive... so I bought the cheapest pack in the store) and I recently bought the Squier classic vibe 50's telecaster. They're all great, but comparing the two Squiers, the tele is absolutely my favorite. It sounds amazing, I'm not particularly into the twangy bridge pickup sound, but toned down a little bit, it produces great tones as well.

The choice of a guitar is something that you'll have to decide for yourself. Go to your local shop and ask to try out a few guitars. If you don't play yet (as I was), I chose a guitar that resembles the guitar of my personal guitar heroes (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix,... hence my choice for a strat and not another cheap guitar pack). I had to buy the tele as well, because I am a huge fan of Keith Richards. (It even has the same color as Keith's guitar )

Choose a guitar that's inspiring to you. If you'd like to play metal, I wouldn't go for a tele or if you're into blues, don't buy a shred machine...

Happy hunting,

Jan a.k.a. Sore Fingers

Originally Posted by: jrosenberg1978

Hi all, novice guitarist been playing on and off and uncertain which "budget" guitars are good value for money for all round versatility. From some research I think I have narrowed down to a few options but just need some advice from someone with a bit more knowledge. Any help is appreciated.

Options:

Schecter omen extreme 6 diamond series
Ibanez TM302
Ibanez RC320
Ibanez ART120QA
Ibanez ART120
Squier Affinity Telecaster® Electric Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT

Any other recommendations welcome

thanks
Jarred

Hi Jarred, I'm a beginner myself and I play on 3 guitars now. An old accoustic Washburn J12SN (I bought this in my 20's, when I had a musical itch for the first time, but gave up because my teacher was kinda boring), a Squier Stratocaster (from a starter pack) I assume it is similar to the bullet (I listened to my wife who told me that for beginning, I don't need something expensive... so I bought the cheapest pack in the store) and I recently bought the Squier classic vibe 50's telecaster. They're all great, but comparing the two Squiers, the tele is absolutely my favorite. It sounds amazing, I'm not particularly into the twangy bridge pickup sound, but toned down a little bit, it produces great tones as well.

The choice of a guitar is something that you'll have to decide for yourself. Go to your local shop and ask to try out a few guitars. If you don't play yet (as I was), I chose a guitar that resembles the guitar of my personal guitar heroes (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix,... hence my choice for a strat and not another cheap guitar pack). I had to buy the tele as well, because I am a huge fan of Keith Richards. (It even has the same color as Keith's guitar )

Choose a guitar that's inspiring to you. If you'd like to play metal, I wouldn't go for a tele or if you're into blues, don't buy a shred machine...

Happy hunting,

Jan a.k.a. Sore Fingers

Little Owl

Full Access

An update a little more than 3 weeks after I picked up a guitar for the first time.

I couldn't be more happy. I am currently practicing the F Major scale, have learned the four first songs of the GF1 course, finger soreness disappeared quite quickly, I play everyday (around an hour) and I absolutely LOVE it ! I love the fact that it is an exercise in dexterity and memorisation, I love the instrument, its lightness, its "low tech" power, the music it produces, and also the fact that I am starting a learning journey that will keep me busy for years, working on the fretboard, the chords, songs, etc etc etc. Thank you Guitar Tricks for giving me access to this fantastic journey. My guess was correct, and Lisa's course is very good.

Originally Posted by: Sore.fingers

The most known city nearby is Aalst, somewhere between Ghent and Brussels.

Mijn stiefvaders' familie komt uit Liedekerke. Ik hou van het accent in deze streek !

Thanks for your Belgian welcome.

The only real failure is the failure to try.

An update a little more than 3 weeks after I picked up a guitar for the first time.

I couldn't be more happy. I am currently practicing the F Major scale, have learned the four first songs of the GF1 course, finger soreness disappeared quite quickly, I play everyday (around an hour) and I absolutely LOVE it ! I love the fact that it is an exercise in dexterity and memorisation, I love the instrument, its lightness, its "low tech" power, the music it produces, and also the fact that I am starting a learning journey that will keep me busy for years, working on the fretboard, the chords, songs, etc etc etc. Thank you Guitar Tricks for giving me access to this fantastic journey. My guess was correct, and Lisa's course is very good.

Mijn stiefvaders' familie komt uit Liedekerke. Ik hou van het accent in deze streek !

Sore.fingers

Full Access

Originally Posted by: Little

Liedekerke is still a few kilometers from where I live, but we have about the same accent It is a pleasure to find someone with similar roots on this medium... And I agree, this is a perfect place to start a guitar-learning journey. If every series of lessons is as good as GF1, we're in for a treat

Originally Posted by: Little

Liedekerke is still a few kilometers from where I live, but we have about the same accent It is a pleasure to find someone with similar roots on this medium... And I agree, this is a perfect place to start a guitar-learning journey. If every series of lessons is as good as GF1, we're in for a treat

pupsmom61

Full Access

I can relate to the joy learning the guitar brings! I play daily too and it has been great. It is also the best stress reliever for me...100% out of myself and worries and into the guitar instead!

I can relate to the joy learning the guitar brings! I play daily too and it has been great. It is also the best stress reliever for me...100% out of myself and worries and into the guitar instead!

Little Owl

Full Access

Thanks for your message pupsmom61 !

In the meantime I encountered my first hurdle : the G chord. At first I just couldn't do it, the 5th string was always muted, either with the standard or the pinky fingering (I am a real "petite" woman and my glove size is XS). After more than a week of practice it slowly gets better, and I think I am going to be a "pinky G" person : it is easier on my hands that way.

I can do Em-Am-Em flawlessly now, and i am currently working on D-Em-D. Very tough at first but slowly getting there as well. When I have a problem, I search the forum for previous posts about it, and that way I find reassurance that my problem is perfectly normal and that I just have to keep at it as long as it takes.

I love the guitar more and more everyday and I'm eager everyday for the evening to come so that I can practice ! And of course I still find Lisa's course excellent.

Thanks for your message pupsmom61 !

In the meantime I encountered my first hurdle : the G chord. At first I just couldn't do it, the 5th string was always muted, either with the standard or the pinky fingering (I am a real "petite" woman and my glove size is XS). After more than a week of practice it slowly gets better, and I think I am going to be a "pinky G" person : it is easier on my hands that way.

I can do Em-Am-Em flawlessly now, and i am currently working on D-Em-D. Very tough at first but slowly getting there as well. When I have a problem, I search the forum for previous posts about it, and that way I find reassurance that my problem is perfectly normal and that I just have to keep at it as long as it takes.

I love the guitar more and more everyday and I'm eager everyday for the evening to come so that I can practice ! And of course I still find Lisa's course excellent.

DraconusJLM

Chord changes can be challenging. I'm in my fourth decade of playing on and off, and still find a challenging change from time to time.

What always works for me is taking my time, concentration on just the single change from one chord to the other, then slowly increase speed. Another thing to consider is if a different combination of fingers works better in whatever situation.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

Chord changes can be challenging. I'm in my fourth decade of playing on and off, and still find a challenging change from time to time.

What always works for me is taking my time, concentration on just the single change from one chord to the other, then slowly increase speed. Another thing to consider is if a different combination of fingers works better in whatever situation.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......