Can i skip the rythme courses ?

Aladine
Aladine
11/18/2020 10:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I am not a total beginner to the guitar, but I'm not even sure if i can call myself intermediate either, i had guitars lying around in my house for over 10 years and i occasionally play with some periods where i play almost daily for weeks, but then stop using it for months.

I joined GuitarTricks with one particular goal in mind:

being able to play "sultans of swing" one day, the lead-guitar part of course.

So today i started going through the beginners courses and I found myself knowing all of that stuff, my left fingers are lacking some strength and muscle memories but i went through the beginner courses pretty easily. now am in the Beginner Blues part, I kinda enjoy the introduction courses which focus on the rythme but i really can't wait to get into the lead (soloing) sections, cause i really enjoy Blues and would love to be able to improvise asap.

So the question is:

Can i start with that ? i don't mean that i am going to ignore rythme guitar all together, but, learning lead-guitar feels really fun while the rythme feels like a must-do assignment, and i wonder if i can just start with the lead part and then go back to the rythme courses whenever i feel like it.

Oh and btw, I really love how this website is structured! and the courses so far are one of the best i've seen online!

Cheers!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/19/2020 7:44 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: Aladine

I joined GuitarTricks with one particular goal in mind:

being able to play "sultans of swing" one day, the lead-guitar part of course.[/quote][p]That's a good goal!

It sounds like you have a lot of the basics down. Good deal! I think it's fine to just watch through the rock or blues course. Try to play along with everything, even the rhythm material for 4 reasons:

1. It will be a good refresher!

2. It might fill in any holes in your knowledge.

3. It will give you material to practice so you can build back up your strength, dexterity & endurance.

4. You've already paid for a subscription, might as well get your money's worth. :)[br][br] [quote=Aladine]

So the question is:

Can i start with that ?

[p]Sure, that's fine's. But I think the points I outlined above are your best best. And here's the notation for the song you want to play so you can start working on it now.

https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0087011

Hope this helps! Best of success with your guitar learning & playing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.