Hello from Atlanta Ga

jadaldouglas
jadaldouglas
11/10/2020 6:23 am

Just learned the simple C LOL. Was so excited. I've had an acoustic guitar for about 5 years now, collecting dust in the corner but I'm now ready to learn. My fingers are killing me I hope that gets better sooner than later. I knew nothing when I bought it and just learned it's a dreadnought and it doesn't really feel comfortable to me but I'm gonna stick it out until I can afford to upgrade. [br]How many hours per day should I dedicate to this course and should I split it up and practice multiple times a day? I really want to do it right so that I don't get overwhelmed. 1st goal is already set. I want to be able to play Happy Birthday to my granddaughter for her 1st birthday Dec 19th. Then at least one Christmas song for the family. Is that too soon? [br]Anyway. Loving it thus far.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/10/2020 6:23 pm

Hey there! Wlecome to Guitar Tricks! This forum is a great place to meet the community and learn some helpful tips and tricks. The key with learning guitar is to do it every day. Even if it's just 10 minutes, having that every day practice will develop your muscle memory and create good habits. Enjoy the program!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
jadaldouglas
jadaldouglas
11/14/2020 3:24 am

Icing finger tips tonight. I've also been using alcohol a couple of times a day to the tips of my fingers the numb feeling finally went away and I did good for the first five minutes but the pain came back after that it's so bad. It's OK because I learned A minor and E tonight so the next time I start practicing I'm going to just continue to practice switching between the two. Oh the PAIN!! Lol

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/16/2020 3:38 pm
Originally Posted by: jadaldouglas

Icing finger tips tonight. I've also been using alcohol a couple of times a day to the tips of my fingers the numb feeling finally went away and I did good for the first five minutes but the pain came back after that it's so bad. It's OK because I learned A minor and E tonight so the next time I start practicing I'm going to just continue to practice switching between the two. Oh the PAIN!! Lol

Something to be clear about; do not overdo it with your fingertips. Do not do that.

While your motivation is admirable, the whole 'practiced until my fingers bled' is junk. If you wanted to run a marathon and your muscles started to tell you that you were going to injure yourself, would you continue? I mean, sure, when starting out, there's always been a little tenderness. I've been playing to decades and I've seen many people fall off the wagon as a player simply because they could not take the fingertip soreness. Don't force your fingertips in to some sort of damage.

So, don't overdo it and it sounds like you might already be doing so. If you have to resort to soaking your fingers, you're probably going a bit to far.

That's not to say that you won't have some soreness. You will. It's the nature of the beast. That's why you build up to callouses. Honestly, soaking your fingers is counterproductive in doing that. The idea is to get calloused pads on your fingertips so that when you press a string, it's the callous taking the pressure and sheilding the fingertip nerve endings from the pressure. By soaking them, you're softening the fingertip instead of hardening it.

Your better bet is to work in shorter intervals for the time being. Slowly work up that callous. You do not want to practice until you feel agony. Eventually you won't want to play. Pick a short and targeted focus like one video or one chord change and work on that for a few minutes until you start to feel tender, then stop. You can always come back later and resume.

Truth is, I often even now practice this way. I think of them as micro-practices. I have in mind a little lick I think would be challenging and noodle on it for a few minutes when I can.

There's a million ways to get to where you want to go. One of them is not to damage your fingertips. Patience. Eventually you'll have such callouses on your fingertips that if you were to tap a countertop with them, they'll sound like your fingernails. It will happen but it takes a little time.

# 4
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
11/16/2020 6:21 pm

I agree with what Jeff said about practicing in shorter intervals. Something you might want to try is to do the physical playing for a short time each day (until you build up the callouses) and then devote some time to learning music theory. That way you are still progressing with the instrument in general and not left feeling like you didn't make any headway or learn enough for the day. And even after those callouses build up, I would try to keep up with learning more and more music theory as you progress with the physical playing. It will make you a stronger player.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 5
Jersey Red
Full Access
Jersey Red
Full Access
12/18/2020 8:27 pm

I completely understand the sore fingers, but mine are getting there....unlike my ability to fret , or remember, or anything else 😎

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.