Hello

Hank88
Full Access
Hank88
Full Access
08/12/2020 8:14 am

Hey everyone, my name is Hank.

For some reason I wanted to share my experience so far learning guitar. GT and lurking on guitar forums have been my sole learning tools with my guitar journey. Real soon I hope to ask other guitarist to play with. The instructors on this site are really great, and I feel like I can get a lot out of this site. 10 months in and I get constantly excited about my consistent progress, knowledge/muscle memory breakthrus, and knowing hard work is making this fun. The first few months are tough but once the rhythm, counting, and learning songs started to make sense, well now I'm hooked.

31 year old blue-collared dude. When I was a kid I thought and still think Kurt Cobain was the coolest. When I decided I wanted to learn at 30, I wondered if hand orientation mattered because I'm left handed mostly. Concluded it didn't really matter but righties have more guitar options. But since Cobain was leftie, I said I'm going leftie, and I think it would matter for me. My left hand and wrist can get looser and more relaxed, which I think helps my strumming, plus my left arm tattoo looks better than the one on my right arm.

I was too nervous to go into a guitar shop and ask for a left handed guitar because I didn't want people to tell me I should play right handed. So I ordered a cheap acoustic online, and boy is it trash. But I learned and had fun on it for 3 months before finding a used leftie Ibanez gio and amp near me for $150 bucks. I freaking love it! I think it sounds great, and I know eventually I want to get a higher end guitar but I'm going to get everything out of this beast. Then I think I'm going tele. I love grundge and metal

What I'm realizing after almost a year of playing is that if you actually want to learn and just ask, this community and from what I've read and seen online the music community is pretty nice. In my life, outside of work, I am an ok casual skateboarder, and pretty knowledgeable in strength and conditioning fitness training. I'm super supportive of begginers and in a few months I hope to start personal fitness training folks who need a little extra push. So yeah, people who are down to learn, teach, and encourage each other is allright in a world that isn't right now. Long post but I'm really excited about guitar and I figured someone here would understand. Thank you instructors and fellow musicians!

Rock on m/

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/12/2020 11:12 am

Hi and welcome Hank

so great to read your excitment coming out. You say a lot of great things here - like supporting beginners - very important.

I actually just picked up one of those little Gio's as well and I think its a great guitar. And the little wider string spacing (compared to other electrics) is always a great thing for beginners.

Enjoy the journey and best of luck with your studies.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Hank88
Full Access
Hank88
Full Access
08/12/2020 4:00 pm

Thanks a lot William!

From the times I surfed around on the forum for similar questions or enouragment you seem to be a very supportive guy. Hope you the best of luck and fun in your guitar journey as well

# 3
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/12/2020 4:42 pm

Great introductory post, Hank! Cool story and really encouraging for a lot of people.

Enjoy the journey and don't be a stranger to the forum, sounds like you might have good advice for others.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 4
Hank88
Full Access
Hank88
Full Access
08/12/2020 8:38 pm

Thanks Dave! Enjoy your journey too brother. I will try to start giving input or encouragement where I can on these forums

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.