Hi to the world out there,

Airborne2466
Airborne2466
07/22/2020 11:34 am

My name is Darren and I started this course about a year ago but had to stop for a while due to illness, but fortunately I survived and restarted the course about 6-8 weeks ago.

I suffer with Epilepsy due to a serious accident during my military service with the Parachute Regiment, sadly if I have a seizure people think that I am break dancing and ignore me.

I absoluely love my music from Melissa Etheridge to Texas and from the late great David Bowie to Pink Floyd, I am listening to Radiohead ath the moment who also I am a big fan of.

The guitar is one of those things that I have wanted to learn for a lifetime and now that my children have both left home and I have a house all to myself with no-one else to annoy, what is a better thing to start?

I am struggling as all beginners do I suppose, I would love to hear from the world out there. From anyone strarting up themselves and who knows, make some new friends along the way.

So everyone, all that I can say is take care during these difficult times and good luck along this path.

Do what you love and love what you do,

Darren.

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/22/2020 2:17 pm

There will always be folks that learn faster than you and me. There will always be players who struggle more than you and me (although I sometimes wonder if there are any slower than I am). Always remember... it's not a competition. It's about 'us', it's about the enjoyment of playing music, learning new stuff and playing great old favorites.

Learning guitar goes on for as long as you want it to. It will often be 'work' but that work can be joyful.

Good luck, have fun.

john

P.S. Are you in the U.K.? Where?

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
martinphillips286
martinphillips286
07/22/2020 6:41 pm

Welcome Darren. I'm also a newbie nearly 3 weeks in and really enjoying it so far although it's a lot harder than I imagined it would be! I've just started Guitar Fundimentals 2 along with trying to learn a couple of songs to keep the interest up. Not sure if Henrdrix's Hey Joe and Prince's Purple Rain are the ideal choices for a beginner though!!

Good luck.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.