Hello everyone!

peli_1982
peli_1982
02/05/2020 8:12 pm

Hello!

My name is Noelia. I am a Spaniard based in Edinburgh, Scotland.

I started playing guitar last October, when I joined Edinburgh Girl's Rock School, a non-profit organisation running free music workshops open to all women, girls, transwomen and genderqueer persons regardless of age or ability, in a relaxed, informal, supportive learning environment. Their aim is to have more women musicians, to inspire other women and girls following them to do the same – making it the norm rather than the exception!

After the 6-week course, some friends who also took the course and myself, decided to put a band together. We are called "The Harpies" and our first gig was on 25 January at Edinburgh Girls Rock School winter showcase. We played two songs. It was really nerve wracking but also very enjoyable! So much, that we have already booked our second gig for March 6. People really enjoyed our performance and the school and our friends and family have been really supportive.

We rehearse at least once a week for about 2 hours and on top of that, I also practice on my own going through the GuitarTricks lessons, which I really enjoy. I joined GuitarTricks in November.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/05/2020 8:28 pm

Hi Noelia and welcome.

I was very interested to read your post. On the topic of women musicians you may find these 2 videos interesting.

The first is an interview with Alice de Buhr which I just watched last night. In her day she was an absolute killer drummer with Fanny.

The 2cnd vid is of Fanny themselves and these ladies absolutely rocked!

Best of luck.

Alice

Fanny

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Joe105
Joe105
02/06/2020 9:11 am

Hi Noelia and a warm welcome to you.

That was an interesting post. I'm all for more women musicians as I feel they bring subtle differences to the music scene and can enrich the musical experience.

I'm glad you find Guitar Tricks helpful. Very good lessons and support.

I wish you heaps of success and much fun and enjoyment.

Kind regards

Joe

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/08/2020 12:07 pm

Hi Noelia,

Welcome! It sounds like you are doing wonderful work, not just on behalf of your own music, but also by all you do to encourage more folks to get involved and discover the power of music. Yay! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.