New to the forum and progress with stats.

Keys_
Keys_
11/13/2019 4:47 am

I already knew a bit of guitar before joining the website but it was so minimal that I don't really think it counts. I found the website by watching Guitar videos on Youtube and it pop'd on my recommendation list.

I saw about the 60 day thing so I decided to give it a try.

From then to now I went from looking 24/7 my fretboard to barely looking unless I'm on the 12+ frets.

At the moment I can play (although not perfectly) 9ish songs being;

Nirvana - Smells Like Teens Spirit

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

Judas Priest - Breaking the Law

Judas Priest - Living after Midnight

Royal Blood - Little Monster

Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop

Arctic Monkeys - R U Mine?

Jack White - Lazaretto (Still learning solo)

Jack White - Over and Over and Over (Still learning solo)

Since I started I've been trying to keep my progress my sessions tends to be around 40 mins / 1 hour (x2 on certain occassions) and completed Fundamentals 1 and 61% on Fundamentals 2.

There has been some days that I don't really want to play or feel like I'm stuck and wont get anywhere. But looking at the stats and how much work I've put into it, it helps me by pushing me forward.

My fingertips feels like are going to explode and I'm trying to not push it too much because it makes my wrist hurts a lot, I still don't know how to properly hold the neck without making my wrist suffer, same when playing chords for too long, so I would love some tips on that.

Overall I love the website and how helpful it has been even tho I'm not yet on the day 60 but I will keep on using it everytime I can. So, thank you!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/13/2019 5:35 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: Keys_

From then to now I went from looking 24/7 my fretboard to barely looking unless I'm on the 12+ frets.

At the moment I can play (although not perfectly) 9ish songs being;[/quote][p]Wow! Congrats on your achievement so far. That's wonderful!

Originally Posted by: Keys_There has been some days that I don't really want to play or feel like I'm stuck and wont get anywhere. But looking at the stats and how much work I've put into it, it helps me by pushing me forward.

That's a great way to motivate yourself.

[quote=Keys_]

My fingertips feels like are going to explode and I'm trying to not push it too much because it makes my wrist hurts a lot, I still don't know how to properly hold the neck without making my wrist suffer, same when playing chords for too long, so I would love some tips on that.

Some of that might be just needing to build strength & dexterity in order to gain more endurance. But in my experience the biggest reason beginner guitar players get finger & wrist pain is playing too hard.

When you first start it's just about all you can do to squeeze the neck & strings to make a sound happen! But gradually as you build skill you will find that it's easier to play. As you start to notice the guitar is easier to fret, your calluses get built, your muscles learn what to do, it's important to adjust how much pressure you apply.

You only need a certain amount of pressure & tension to play each note or chord. Any amount more than you need is going to result in fatigue, pain & actually hinder your ability to get to the next note or chord. So, start to assess how much tension you are using & back off until you are applying just enough pressure to get the notes to sound.

Make sense? Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Congrats again & best of success with your guitar learning & playing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Keys_
Keys_
11/14/2019 2:11 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey & welcome to GT!

When you first start it's just about all you can do to squeeze the neck & strings to make a sound happen! But gradually as you build skill you will find that it's easier to play. As you start to notice the guitar is easier to fret, your calluses get built, your muscles learn what to do, it's important to adjust how much pressure you apply.

You only need a certain amount of pressure & tension to play each note or chord. Any amount more than you need is going to result in fatigue, pain & actually hinder your ability to get to the next note or chord. So, start to assess how much tension you are using & back off until you are applying just enough pressure to get the notes to sound.

Make sense? Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Congrats again & best of success with your guitar learning & playing!

Thank you! I've been trying to re do it again and try to put a lot of pressure at first and then loose it til my note are mute so I can find a sweetspot where the note can sound without muting itself.

Is still hard tho since I have to get used to not applying too much force anymore.

Another question not related to that; How can I get better at improvisation? At the moment there is not much about improvisation on the lessons and what I've found on the Internet is that I need to learn music theory to do it?

I would love to learn how to improvise since playing songs from bands is super fun and all but I would like something coming from myself too. Thank you.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/15/2019 7:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Keys_I've been trying to re do it again and try to put a lot of pressure at first and then loose it til my note are mute so I can find a sweetspot where the note can sound without muting itself.[/quote]

Take your time & be patient with yourself. I've been playing for over 40 years & I still have to remind myself to relax when learning something new or playing something complex.

[quote=Keys_]Another question not related to that; How can I get better at improvisation? At the moment there is not much about improvisation on the lessons and what I've found on the Internet is that I need to learn music theory to do it?

Improvisation requires a vocabulary of things to play that you can draw from. You can start to improvise simply by trygint to recombine things you already know in a new way.

I'm not sure how much skill you've built yet. In order to play lead guitar, to improvise melodies & solos you need the skill of playing single note melodies.

With that in mind, I have a whole series on improvisation here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
Keys_
Keys_
11/17/2019 2:37 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Take your time & be patient with yourself. I've been playing for over 40 years & I still have to remind myself to relax when learning something new or playing something complex.[/quote][p]

Thank you! I'm relaxing more and now it doesn't feel like my fingers and wrist are going to explode.

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

Improvisation requires a vocabulary of things to play that you can draw from. You can start to improvise simply by trygint to recombine things you already know in a new way.

I'm not sure how much skill you've built yet. In order to play lead guitar, to improvise melodies & solos you need the skill of playing single note melodies.

With that in mind, I have a whole series on improvisation here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Hope that helps!

I didn't think about combining things I've learned, but I will try. I will check the link, thank you very much for all the help!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.