a "hey hey, what's up?" from Maryland

Josette13
Josette13
08/06/2011 7:02 pm
Hey,

I'm Josette, but I prefer to go by Joey, cause I'm just a little tom-boy like that. :) I just joined Guitar Tricks, and from what I've figured out about it so far, I really like it! I'm usually very slow at figuring things out on new websites, but I'll get the hang of this soon enough.

I've recently become dedicated to guitar-playing because I've always loved writing songs and singing. I'm about the biggest fan of country music, and to be able to learn my favorite songs from this website is really cool for me.

I also have a slight problem - either my fingers are short or I'm just not having much luck with playing complicated chords like F,B, and all the other ones that involve the index finger falling over all the strings of the guitar. Any tips on that?

Thanks, and I'm just so excited to be on Guitar Tricks!

-Joey
# 1
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
08/06/2011 8:37 pm
They are called bar chords (when your index bar's the strings) and they give every guitar players a hard time when you first start to practice them :)

The only trick is to practice practice practice.
But I might have a quick tip to make thing easier for you. You probably already know waht I'm gone say but its worth mentionning, just incase.
When you play chords, your fingers must press the string with the very tip so you dont mute strings here and there by accident. The best way to achieve that is to lower your thumb behind the neck. The lower the thumb, the bigger the "arcs" the fingers make to reach the strings.

Good luck and have fun with your learning
# 2
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
08/06/2011 11:31 pm
hi Josette13..
Welcome to GT..
your best bet would be to sign up for full membership.. then go thru the core lessons 1 and 2.. You can sign up month to month, but you do save if you can afford a year at a time. I beat the cost of a personal instructor, plus you have no time schedule or travel..
Good luck with your guitar learning. I can't think of a better hobby or self entertainment..
# 3
Josette13
Josette13
08/08/2011 6:25 pm
Thanks for the tips! I'll keep practicing, and hopefully get a full membership soon :)
# 4
hardstyle19
hardstyle19
08/09/2011 12:34 am
Hey i have never met you, please if you have time to respond to me whenever possible i would consider it a pleasure that i have got to meet you
# 5
Marshallmk1
Marshallmk1
08/09/2011 4:00 pm
Practice and practice until you hate the guitar so much you want to smash it against the wall...then get up the next day and you will be back in love with the guitar...repeat over and over again...one day you will forget you ever even had to try to learn those chords...a few years down the line...25 in my case you will laugh at threads like this...and then remember when you couldn't do the basics...and then you will tell someone to practice until they want to smash their guitar...

Just keep going...!!!

Peace...
CraigyJ
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.