Zager guitars

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Discussion > Zager guitars

epotkay

Full Access

Zager pushes a lot of endorsements by a growing number of artists claiming their guitars are comparable if not superior to Martin, Taylor and others.

Do any of the Guitar Tricks instructors and players have an opinion about their guitars? Are they as good as claimed for the price? Are they “easier to play”?

Thank you for your opinion.

Zager pushes a lot of endorsements by a growing number of artists claiming their guitars are comparable if not superior to Martin, Taylor and others.

Do any of the Guitar Tricks instructors and players have an opinion about their guitars? Are they as good as claimed for the price? Are they “easier to play”?

Thank you for your opinion.

Guitar Tricks Admin

Full Access

This is a great question. I've never even heard of Zager guitars! Maybe one of our instructors, or some other users knows about them?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

This is a great question. I've never even heard of Zager guitars! Maybe one of our instructors, or some other users knows about them?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

davem_or

Full Access

I've not heard anything bad about them (don't own one) but you may get the same result by taking your current guitar to a good guitar shop and having them lower the action and put lighter strings on it. I believe that is the appeal of Zager guitars. However, if you're looking to buy a new guitar feel free to ignore my advice

I've not heard anything bad about them (don't own one) but you may get the same result by taking your current guitar to a good guitar shop and having them lower the action and put lighter strings on it. I believe that is the appeal of Zager guitars. However, if you're looking to buy a new guitar feel free to ignore my advice

epotkay

Full Access

see zagerguitar.com

They claim to be easier to play and equal but cheaper than most.

see zagerguitar.com

They claim to be easier to play and equal but cheaper than most.

snpfarm

Full Access

I too have never heard of them. I went to their website and pretty much read it all word for word. Definitely got my attention. Especially when the site noted how it was built for smaller handed players. I have a small hand and have been frustrated trying to make some of the long reaching chords especially the ones that use the pinky finger. Barre chords are pretty much a no go. I would definitely be interested in trying one out or hearing from others who actually have one.

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!

I too have never heard of them. I went to their website and pretty much read it all word for word. Definitely got my attention. Especially when the site noted how it was built for smaller handed players. I have a small hand and have been frustrated trying to make some of the long reaching chords especially the ones that use the pinky finger. Barre chords are pretty much a no go. I would definitely be interested in trying one out or hearing from others who actually have one.

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!

mjgodin

Full Access

Guitars come in all shapes and sizes. The best thing you can do is go to a guitar store and try as many in your budget out. You'll notice immediately what feels right and what doesn't. I was looking into Zager guitars earlier and even entered their weekly contest to try and win one of their models. Probably have better luck winning the lottery. The problem with zager is there are no dealers. They sell direct to you which is why they have low prices but you need to try them out firsthand. Your only hope is to find one used. As a beginner I wouldn't recommend online ordering unless your sure of the guitar you want, have played it and you just want to get a better deal online. Ex: sweet water or reverb.
If you got smaller hands look into a concertina or parlor size guitars like the Taylor gs mini.
Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Moe

Why don't guitars come with an instruction manual ?

Oh yeah, that's what GuitarTricks is for..

Guitars come in all shapes and sizes. The best thing you can do is go to a guitar store and try as many in your budget out. You'll notice immediately what feels right and what doesn't. I was looking into Zager guitars earlier and even entered their weekly contest to try and win one of their models. Probably have better luck winning the lottery. The problem with zager is there are no dealers. They sell direct to you which is why they have low prices but you need to try them out firsthand. Your only hope is to find one used. As a beginner I wouldn't recommend online ordering unless your sure of the guitar you want, have played it and you just want to get a better deal online. Ex: sweet water or reverb.
If you got smaller hands look into a concertina or parlor size guitars like the Taylor gs mini.
Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Moe

Sasha-B

Full Access

I agree with Moe. Best to go to a guitar store and try a few out. Try and play a few chords (D, G, and C to test how much you have to press down and compare to another guitar). Don't worry about how you play-a good and reputable guitar store will support you as a beginner. We've all been there!

GS mini, parlor (Alvarez, guild m240, cort). The guitar that feels good in your hands. When I got my first guitar as an adult-I was set on either an Alvarez (had one in my youth) or a used Martin (made in Mexico). Tried the Martin, the Alvarez, and a few other brands and ended up with the Guild m240. The lesson I learned-keep an open mind re: trying out guitars in your price range.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

I agree with Moe. Best to go to a guitar store and try a few out. Try and play a few chords (D, G, and C to test how much you have to press down and compare to another guitar). Don't worry about how you play-a good and reputable guitar store will support you as a beginner. We've all been there!

GS mini, parlor (Alvarez, guild m240, cort). The guitar that feels good in your hands. When I got my first guitar as an adult-I was set on either an Alvarez (had one in my youth) or a used Martin (made in Mexico). Tried the Martin, the Alvarez, and a few other brands and ended up with the Guild m240. The lesson I learned-keep an open mind re: trying out guitars in your price range.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

mjgodin

Full Access

Exactly Sasha and one caveat I should add though, after some further research, is zager does have a 100% return policy so if your willing to pursue it you can always return it if doesn't meet your expectations without any gruff back from them. Personally, though I think we all agree that buying gear is half the fun so I would rather immerse myself in a wall of guitars than just place an order online. Where's the fun in that? If you do get one though please by all means leave a review. I still have not met anyone who has one.

moe

Exactly Sasha and one caveat I should add though, after some further research, is zager does have a 100% return policy so if your willing to pursue it you can always return it if doesn't meet your expectations without any gruff back from them. Personally, though I think we all agree that buying gear is half the fun so I would rather immerse myself in a wall of guitars than just place an order online. Where's the fun in that? If you do get one though please by all means leave a review. I still have not met anyone who has one.

moe

snpfarm

Full Access

I've done a lot of research since my last post about Zager Guitars. I find very few bad reviews. 95% of what I've seen has been positive. Does this mean they scour the internet looking for bad reviews and scrub them clean ... as one review I read suggested. Personally, I don't know if that's even possible. Every email I've sent to the company has been answered in a timely manor. They claim to be 100% American made. One negative review said this wasn't true saying that a lot of the construction was done in a foreign country. I emailed the company late last night and asked about this. As of 9am this morning I've not heard back from them. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

I've done a lot of research since my last post about Zager Guitars. I find very few bad reviews. 95% of what I've seen has been positive. Does this mean they scour the internet looking for bad reviews and scrub them clean ... as one review I read suggested. Personally, I don't know if that's even possible. Every email I've sent to the company has been answered in a timely manor. They claim to be 100% American made. One negative review said this wasn't true saying that a lot of the construction was done in a foreign country. I emailed the company late last night and asked about this. As of 9am this morning I've not heard back from them. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

DraconusJLM

Full Access

Something about these guitars seems "off" to me. The website seems to keep stressing that these are supposedly easier to play than other guitars makes, but that just gives me the impression they're targetting new players.

Most acoustic guitars come from the manuafacturer fitted with a set of 12s. All you need to do is swap these out for a set of 11s and you instantly have a guitar that is easier to play (and the change in guage won't mean you have to have any adjustments made to the guitar, assuming it wasn't already in need of a setup before changing the strings).

The other thing I find odd is that these don't appear to be available to buy elsewhere. I have seen some sites that sell exclusively, such as Le Voi guitars (I've played two of these, and they're excellent (also feel easier to play than a Martin)) but this is a luthier selling his own guitars.

Personally, I'd steer clear of Zager. (Looking at Zager's site somehow reminded me of a post from a couple of months ago, where somebody had ordered a Slash custom LP for $99, although I imagine you actually get something for your money from Zager; whether is sounds any good or plays easier than a Martin, Taylor, etc....). The customer reviews also appear to have been written by the same few people, judging from the similarities, writing styles and choice of vocabulary.

Six strings, but only four fingers. Twelve simi-tones, but only eight notes to an octive. Part of me thinks mathematicians should steer well clear of guitars.....

Something about these guitars seems "off" to me. The website seems to keep stressing that these are supposedly easier to play than other guitars makes, but that just gives me the impression they're targetting new players.

Most acoustic guitars come from the manuafacturer fitted with a set of 12s. All you need to do is swap these out for a set of 11s and you instantly have a guitar that is easier to play (and the change in guage won't mean you have to have any adjustments made to the guitar, assuming it wasn't already in need of a setup before changing the strings).

The other thing I find odd is that these don't appear to be available to buy elsewhere. I have seen some sites that sell exclusively, such as Le Voi guitars (I've played two of these, and they're excellent (also feel easier to play than a Martin)) but this is a luthier selling his own guitars.

Personally, I'd steer clear of Zager. (Looking at Zager's site somehow reminded me of a post from a couple of months ago, where somebody had ordered a Slash custom LP for $99, although I imagine you actually get something for your money from Zager; whether is sounds any good or plays easier than a Martin, Taylor, etc....). The customer reviews also appear to have been written by the same few people, judging from the similarities, writing styles and choice of vocabulary.

Six strings, but only four fingers. Twelve simi-tones, but only eight notes to an octive. Part of me thinks mathematicians should steer well clear of guitars.....