Scale Length Advice

revdave10
revdave10
08/23/2021 1:22 am

I'm not a noob, but I've only recently begun playing again after many, many years. I'm looking to buy a new acoustic and need advice on scale length. Here's my story:

I stopped playing years ago, because my fingers are short and I have some webbing in between, therefore, my stretch is limited. My playing was becoming frustrating, I was largely self-taught, and I just gave it up.[br][br]

As I've begun playing guitar again, for about the last month or so, I'm running into the same issue, only I'm now 37 years older. I'm playing my wife's guitar which has a 25.4" scale. My short fingers are having difficulty with scales and forming stretchy chords. [br][br]

I'm looking to buy my own guitar. Tone is a huge factor for me. I've played some 3/4 scale guitars and hate the boxy and limited tone. I want an all-hog 000. I'm a Martin fan, so looking at both the 00015M and the 000-10 (Road Series) all-sapele. I adore the tone of the 15, but the shorter scale length of the 10 also seems appealing, even though the tone is not as appealing to me as the 15. The 15 is standard 25.4". The 10 is 24.9". Price is not particularly a consideration.

My question is: do I look at the shorter scale length and sacrifice tone, thinking it will be easier to play, or do I go for tone and hope I'll "work into" the longer scale length as I progress? Some further info: I've played electric bass for 30 years. But bass technique is different; I rarely play more than one string at a time. I understand the ergonomics of playing, just not guitar-specific. What I need is perspective from someone who's taught guitar, understands physical considerations, and has experience seeing players progress physically. Is it feasible that my aging fingers will stretch out again with playing, or do I just need to accept some physical limitations? Or... is the half-inch scale length difference even enough to worry about?

All things considered, I'd buy the 15 in a heartbeat for the tone alone if I thought I'd work my way into it. I'm really wondering how much of this is likely just "beginners clumsiness," and is likely to get better as I gain strength and get the muscle memory working? I can buy one guitar. I can't buy one and then "upgrade" later.

Thanks!

# 1
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
08/23/2021 1:56 am

I'm not a expert by any means and certainly not a teacher but if it was a choice between tone and playability I would take playability any day. A guitar that frustrates you every time you play it isn't going to be one you pick up very often. If you find things progressing well with the shorter scale you can always go back to your wife's guitar and see if things have gotten easier. Maybe trying different brands of strings will get you a better tone on the shorter scale.

# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
08/23/2021 9:47 am

A scale length difference of 0.6" shouldn't make much difference to the tone. That's mostly down to body size, wood type, and many other factors

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/23/2021 11:25 am
Originally Posted by: revdave10

I'm not a noob, but I've only recently begun playing again after many, many years.[/quote][p]How much technique you had in the past is often a big factor in how quickly you can regain that skill level.

Originally Posted by: revdave10My question is: do I look at the shorter scale length and sacrifice tone, thinking it will be easier to play, or do I go for tone and hope I'll "work into" the longer scale length as I progress?[/quote]

Yes. If it's the difference between playing or not playing, then yes, you do whatever you can to play. Even if that means the tone is not ideal. Look at the alternatives you've set:

1. Play guitar with a less than ideal tone.

2. Do not play guitar.

That's a pretty easy decision if you really want to play guitar. :)

It's possible you can regain enough strength & dexterity to play a larger scale guitar, but it sounds like it could be a deal breaker for you if it doesn't.

Originally Posted by: revdave10What I need is perspective from someone who's taught guitar, understands physical considerations, and has experience seeing players progress physically. Is it feasible that my aging fingers will stretch out again with playing, or do I just need to accept some physical limitations?[/quote]

Both. As you practice you will certainly regain some strength & dexterity. But we all have certain limitations. You'll never know how much until you try!

[quote=revdave10] Or... is the half-inch scale length difference even enough to worry about?

That's a great question that I can't answer without seeing you play both guitars. I encourage you to try as many guitars as possible. There's no substitute for first hand experience.

[quote=revdave10]I'm really wondering how much of this is likely just "beginners clumsiness," and is likely to get better as I gain strength and get the muscle memory working?

There's only one way to find out. :)

[quote=revdave10]I can buy one guitar. I can't buy one and then "upgrade" later.

I'm not sure why you couldn't buy one, then trade it in or sell it to get another.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.