Iridium and Headrush

DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
08/09/2021 4:02 pm

Hi.

Does anyone have any experience with a Strymon Iridium and Headrush FRFR 108. I'm thinking of adding these to my box of toys as a more affordable amplifier solution (plus I can use headphones with the Iridium). I'd also be using a variety of effect pedals.

I'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this or experience of a similar setup.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
08/09/2021 7:34 pm

Great question! We don't have personal experience with that amp, but maybe someone else does!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
09/17/2021 9:35 pm
Originally Posted by: marykristen9072
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Great question! We don't have personal experience with that amp, but maybe someone else does!

You sound like troll.[br]Not here for the content but t9 pedal your website

Oh, that's funny.... Trolling the site admin by saying they're only here to pedal the website. Well, duh!

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/18/2021 1:14 am

And misspelled peddle, too.

Unless, of course, it's a clever guitar pun. Whatcha think?

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
09/18/2021 7:03 pm

I was aiming for the pun, as my original post was pedal related (I also have a serious Strymon addiction, so have pedals on the brain)

# 5
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
09/25/2021 8:46 pm

I finally treated myself to an Iridium. My guitars have never sounded so good ( and I finally have the 'Tele Twang' I've been looking for).

Now all I need to do is get better at playing :)

# 6
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/15/2021 10:09 pm

Update: Iridium has stereo outputs. Twin Headrush powered speakers, 2000W each, and much smaller than an amp/cab or combo.

Timeline + Big Sky = loud ambient noises that go on forever.

My quest for practical and affordable amplification has come to an end (so now I can concentrate on the search for the perfect chord voicing that will bring musical unity to the world)

# 7
paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
10/25/2021 2:56 pm

I am considering this exact setup. Thanks for your post.

I'm thinking the Iridium to Digital Interface into a PC then into headphones. This would enable me to take lessons here and listen to both the guitar and lessons at the same time.

Maybe studio monitors would be better for me with this setup?

# 8
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/25/2021 4:24 pm

I just use headphones straight out of the DI (Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD) if recording. I even use that to play the GT lessons through the same headphones, so I get the sound from those and the guitar/pedals. Studio monitors would work the same way, but I prefer a good set of headphones that can handle the frequency ranges (never go cheap on audio gear unless you're sure it'll do what you need, or have no choice due to budget limits).

Other times it's headphones straight into the Iridium if I want to be quiet.

Purists will still say it's no substitute for the real (and expensive, high maintenance) amps, but I love the sounds that the Iridium can knock out - and it fits on a pedalboard. The specs state it needs 500mA with headphones, though I measured its power consumption which was 300mA (I still play safe and let it have a full 500mA to itself).

# 9
paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
10/26/2021 1:18 am

Thanks for the info. Seriously considering this now with the extra info you provided. [br]I've heard the Iridium through high quality monitors and sounds great to me. Way better tone than my Spark amp. (I almost sold my Tele until I heard it through the Iridium) I only play at home and I think I won't get what tube amps can offer for low volumes plus I would have to buy three to match the Iridium. I really like the Marshal and Fender amps and would also get use out of the Vox. I also heard comparisons to tube amps on That Pedal Show and the difference is negligible. [br][br]

Can you clarify how you connect a PC (playing the GT lessons) to your DI? Plug a cable to the PCs audio output jack (Headphone jack) to the DI? Where would it plug into the DI? I looked at the back of your model and don't see what cable is needed or where it would plug in.

[br]Then its the guitar into the Iridium into the DI out to headphones right. Then you would hear the lessons and your guitar? Is that right?

Thanks again for the info. Really helping me make a decision.

# 10
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/26/2021 8:48 am

USB lead from laptop or PC to DI (this also powers the DI).

Guitar into Iridium, or other pedals before it.

Then it's the audio outputs, mono or stereo depending on what I want (usually mono when playing along to videos) from the Iridium into inputs on the DI.

There was a bit of fiddling around with software audio to get both the sound from the video on the laptop to play through the DI headphones socket at the same time as the audio from the guitar, but that was only when I first set everything up. Now it's just plug n play.

I've not really had time to do much recording other than testing that it works and a few noodling moments, but that all seems fine.

Now I just need another Iridium and I'm all set.... I have two pedalboards, so have to swap it between them.

Another thing you can do with an Iridium is connect it to the Return of an effects loop on any amp that has one, which bypasses the amplification stages and uses the amp like an ordinary powered FRFR speaker.

It's a lovely addition, but not cheap (typical Strymon). Next on the list is a Sunset!

# 11
paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
10/26/2021 11:47 am

Thanks.

# 12
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/26/2021 12:02 pm

You're welcome.

Please post an update with thoughts/opinions/etc. if you get a similar setup.

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.