looking into buying a telecaster

just undecided on which one.

read lots of reviews

torn between

Squier 50s classic vibe £380

Fender player MIM £570

Fender telecaster MIA £1000

This Is just for home playing on.

I Know the American Fender is the Daddy, but don't think the wife would be happy with me spending that much on a guitar.

Hoping some of you experienced guys can give me a little advise

thanks

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
11/21/2020 5:12 pm

I'm more of an acoustic player myself, but I picked up the cheapest Squire Telecaster over the summer like you said for home playing and it's pretty nice for the price. $180 US. The classic vibe probably better, but at the price your showing your not too far away to the MIM. I picked one up at the store and just felt a noticable difference in build quality to the Squire, but thats comparing it to the Squire Affinity not the classic vibe. If I was in that price range I'd go with the MIM, but if every dollar counts then you won't be disappointed with the Vibe either. There are many video and sound comparisons on youtube. Have you checked there?

Moe

# 2
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/21/2020 5:42 pm

thanks for the feedback Moe

I've been on you tube all day lol.

listening to the sound & pros & cons etc

In all honesty I don't think I'm worthy yet of a £1000 guitar.

maybe it's something I'll treat myself too when I'm more established player.

I'll appreciate it more too & feel I've earned it

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
11/21/2020 7:24 pm

I understand exactly, I'm the same way. Just don't feel right buying an expensive guitar and "expensive" is relative to everyone, unless I feel like I've "earned it" but there is something to be said about a good quality instrument that can make learning more fun and easier. That's why I think middle of the road with the MIM would be a good fit. That's a good price cause in the states there about 700-800 last I saw. I didn't mention earlier but if your looking for a T style guitar cause you like the looks, but if it doesn't have to be Fender related have you checked out other brands like Harley Benton or Cort? They make some nice looking Tele's as well. Don't forget about an amp, unless you already have one.

Good Luck in your decision. Let us know what you get.

# 4
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/21/2020 7:34 pm

swaying towards the MIM unless I get something on ebay.

I got a new amp in May, went with the line 6 v 60 mk ii modelling amp.

I'm really happy with it.

having the pedal board that goes with it for Christmas

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/21/2020 7:47 pm

It's always fun shopping for gear. This is a link to my Squire and this is a Canadian price. It's a very high quality guitar. Made in China.

Good luck with your hunting and let us know what you get.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/48060/Guitars/Electric/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Vintage_Modified_Telecaster_Custom_-_3-Color_Sunburst.htm

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 6
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/21/2020 8:19 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

It's always fun shopping for gear. This is a link to my Squire and this is a Canadian price. It's a very high quality guitar. Made in China.

Good luck with your hunting and let us know what you get.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/48060/Guitars/Electric/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Vintage_Modified_Telecaster_Custom_-_3-Color_Sunburst.htm

thanks for sharing, looks a nice guitar

# 7
manXcat
manXcat
11/21/2020 10:16 pm

Reading your prior posts, with considerations that you've been playing a while.

[br]Four points, two questions. 1. Can't go wrong with a conventional config Tele (my bias, see point 3 ..LOL) 2. What price point fits comfortably within your budget. 3. Consider bias. Who are you really buying for? Yourself, or to impress others. 4. Fit.

The first is already answered, as is the second really. Pertinent to it, don't permit potential relationship resentment with your significant other or buyer's remorse to be overridden by desire for headstock label status.

3. Bias, an irrational emotional drive different from considered preference, is something inherent in all of us all even if denied within the self. It's also the one most difficult to ignore as if you don't buy what you really desire if it's within your means, there will always be a nagging element of total satisfaction absent.

4. Fit. In my experience this is THE singular most important consideration in concert with means/budget. In Squier & Fender model choices alone, there are different neck profiles, fingerboard radii and materials before one gets to body and bridge/saddle considerations.

Now for my personal two bob's worth. From a [u]personal playing perspective[/u], I don't like Squier Classic Vibes and Fender Players [u]for their neck profiles[/u]. If you have ecto fingers or larger hands, they might be perfect for you?

I like a quality instrument too, but there's no need to spend megabucks on a Fender to get it unless perception of the name on the headstock is crucial to you. Fender USA? Not unless the spend is immaterial, you won't be content with anything else or your skills would challenge Hendrix.

Have a look at what these gals do with a cheapie Epiphone Les Paul Studio here, and cheapest Squier Bronco Bass here. It's not about the name on the headstock or price of the instrument. As you should know by now the build quality and component fitout of most instruments around the price point of the Squier Classic Vibe these days is well and truly of a component, finish and overall standard they won't be the weak link/limitation in any average player's playing. Until she was sponsored recently by Fender, this is the Fender Tele Helen Ibe played. Impossible to find fault with unless the neck profile/radius not an ergonomic personal fit.

Lastly, reference Teles, especially Fender and Squier this guy's channel is well worth spending some time on, although I expect you will have already paid him a visit?

And although it's preaching to the choir as you undoubtedly don't need convincing given your Tele remit/quest, Kris Barocsi who demos for Thomann among his other talents, is worth a watch here where he offers his perspective on the Tele.

Ultimately, it's your $$$$ to spend. All the best in finding that personal fit with you. Enjoy the search.

P.S. Here's mine, the choice determined by my bias. = ] Although mine is in the Blue Ice Metalic scheme. Three years on, still my favourite guitar of my eight electrics.

# 8
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/21/2020 11:09 pm
[quote=manXcat]

Reading your prior posts, with considerations that you've been playing a while.

[br]Four points, two questions. 1. Can't go wrong with a conventional config Tele (my bias, see point 3 ..LOL) 2. What price point fits comfortably within your budget. 3. Consider bias. Who are you really buying for? Yourself, or to impress others. 4. Fit.

The first is already answered, as is the second really. Pertinent to it, don't permit potential relationship resentment with your significant other or buyer's remorse to be overridden by desire for headstock label status.

3. Bias, an irrational emotional drive different from considered preference, is something inherent in all of us all even if denied within the self. It's also the one most difficult to ignore as if you don't buy what you really desire if it's within your means, there will always be a nagging element of total satisfaction absent.

4. Fit. In my experience this is THE singular most important consideration in concert with means/budget. In Squier & Fender model choices alone, there are different neck profiles, fingerboard radii and materials before one gets to body and bridge/saddle considerations.

Now for my personal two bob's worth. From a [u]personal playing perspective[/u], I don't like Squier Classic Vibes and Fender Players [u]for their neck profiles[/u]. If you have ecto fingers or larger hands, they might be perfect for you?

I like a quality instrument too, but there's no need to spend megabucks on a Fender to get it unless perception of the name on the headstock is crucial to you. Fender USA? Not unless the spend is immaterial, you won't be content with anything else or your skills would challenge Hendrix.

Have a look at what these gals do with a cheapie Epiphone Les Paul Studio here, and cheapest Squier Bronco Bass here. It's not about the name on the headstock or price of the instrument. As you should know by now the build quality and component fitout of most instruments around the price point of the Squier Classic Vibe these days is well and truly of a component, finish and overall standard they won't be the weak link/limitation in any average player's playing. Until she was sponsored recently by Fender, this is the Fender Tele Helen Ibe played. Impossible to find fault with unless the neck profile/radius not an ergonomic personal fit.

Lastly, reference Teles, especially Fender and Squier this guy's channel is well worth spending some time on, although I expect you will have already paid him a visit?

And although it's preaching to the choir as you undoubtedly don't need convincing given your Tele remit/quest, Kris Barocsi who demos for Thomann among his other talents, is worth a watch here where he offers his perspective on the Tele.

Ultimately, it's your $$$$ to spend. All the best in finding that personal fit with you. Enjoy the search.

P.S. Here's mine, the choice determined by my bias. = ] Although mine is in the Blue Ice Metalic scheme. Three years on, still my favourite guitar of my eight electrics

thanks for all the info , I'll take a look.

I've never heard of Cort before in all honesty.

your guitar looks really nice.

# 9
manXcat
manXcat
11/22/2020 12:02 am

I suspect you'll find those hotlinks I provided interesting & informative.

The Classic TC is a Hugh Manson custom collaboration, made to his spec & design and marketed by Cort under their brand name. The design, build quality and finish is second to none. Value, unsurpassable.

Cort are the OEM manufactuturer for many models from both prestige and emerging brand names. i.e. PRS, Harley Benton. The PRS SE is made by Cort for PRS in Cort's Surabaya factory in Indonesia as evident on the reverse of the headstock. e.g. Cor-Tek. The spin from Cort's website. "Cor-Tek (Cort) is a global instrument manufacturer that produces and exports more than one million guitars and 300,000 amplifiers per year worldwide".

Cort make truly awesome playing and sounding world class instruments. I wanted one of these in that colour, but NLA new. I currently own 2 Cort acoustics and the 1 electric. They won't be my last guitars from Cort. There are a couple of current model Corts I currently lust after, which should I live so so long will see them in my GAS inventory, but in a couple of years when my acoustic and electric playing is at a point I can do them the justice they deserve. What I already have in acoustics is adequate, and in electric, anything new is sheer indulgance really. For now and the next couple of years, my focus is completely orientated to developing my playing and performance skills. I already have sufficient tools.

Cort and Yamaha are a good ergonomic fit with me, and I admire their ethos. Here's my personal guitar hero/role model playing a Yamaha Revstar.

All the best with your own journey. I hope for you that you find that guitar you fall in love with.

# 10
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/22/2020 8:33 am

Found out about G & L now

it's like a rabbit hole Ć°ÅøŽĀøĆ°ÅøĀ¤Ėœ

# 11
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
11/22/2020 9:22 am
Originally Posted by: AustinUK___9teen70eight

G&L make great guitars, the tribute range is made by Cort guitars and the made in Fullerton are American made guitars. Leo fender claimed that G&L guitars were the finest guitars he'd ever made and if you do buy one I don't think you will be disappointed.

# 12
manXcat
manXcat
11/22/2020 10:07 am
Originally Posted by: AustinUK___9teen70eight

Yes it is isn't it. Ć°Åøā„¢Å Ć°Åøā„¢Ė†Ć°Åøā„¢ā€°Ć°ÅøĀ¤ĖœĆ°ÅøĀ¤Ā£

A mate of mine recently bought an Indonesian (Cort) G&L Tele and a G&L Strat. He's currently infatuated with the brand. That'll change though, as he's like that with everything he buys until the novelty wears off and next new best thing comes along. I'll confirm they are a tasty piece of kit though.

The G&L Tributes are reasonably priced around the same as a Fender branded MIM Tele. The USA Fullerton made G&Ls are priced much like USA made Fenders and Gibsons. I don't own either, but definitely worthy of consideration.

Heres a great demo of a Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Classic Tele. MFD pickups. Jonathan is a strong G&L fan and Fender Strat player.

# 13
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/22/2020 11:39 am

think its down to these

[/quote]
# 14
manXcat
manXcat
11/22/2020 12:27 pm

In terms of overall playability if they are a literal fit and what you want, can't go wrong with either IMV. In that respect, pick the neck profile and aesthetic you like most, and take this into consideration.

Fact. Fender will retain far better resale value if you don't like it if that's important to you. G&L don't in my country. Like Tokai, as soon as you walk out the door, G&L are a hard resell on anything other than price regardless the condition or their quality.

NGD soon. Ć¢ĖœĀŗ

# 15
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/22/2020 12:56 pm

yeah, I know what your saying

i'd never heard of G & L until last night.

Everyones heard of Fender.

But like you said " not about the name on headstock"

Think I'm going to wait until shops are open again & take a look at both, hopefully play them

# 16
manXcat
manXcat
11/22/2020 8:19 pm

That's the best idea if you can, although it might be challenging to do so.

As is, that website image (Andertons?) iillustrates the Fender out of stock and the G&L available on pre-order only -no in-store stock held or possibly even extant with the UK distro which is pretty much the COVID 'ops normal' status worldwide. Same here BTW.

Potential brand orientated resale wouldn't deter me either if I wanted a particular guitar as is apparent with my Cort Manson Classic TC, although it'd still enter into any buying decision I'd make as a consideration regardless. Not generally an impulse driven or sale floor excitement suggest sell buyer, I buy to play and haven't resold anything yet, nor am I likely to within the next few blue moons, and then possibly only to upgrade/change with a maintenance and use driven 'one in one out' guitar GAS policy I decided upon some time ago.

On the Fender Player.

If you've watched Landon Bailey's comparison review of the Fender Player, Squier Classic Vibe and Squier Affinity Tele side by side right through its entirety, you'll be aware they have very different neck profiles with the Player's being the fattest. That'd be a total turnoff [u]for me[/u]. So wise to try it first unless you already know you prefer that kind of neck. For me the neck generally, i.e. profile, fingerboard radius & nut width are the most important aspects of any guitar before consideration of others. I don't mind the Affinity's neck profile but even the Classic Vibe is too traditionally fat for me.

G&L Tribute

Just in case, you're aware the advertising on that website image G&L Tribute listing [u]borders on[/u] deceptive practice aren't you. No doubt in my mind intentionally, it's cleverly worded but misleading in its sub heading. The G&L Tributes are of Indonesian manufactured origin. The [u]MFD pickups[/u] its fitted with however are all still [u]made in Fullerton USA[/u].

Did you like the tone of that Fullerton G&L Deluxe played by Jonathan in that link? When I listened to it even with the encumbrance of YT's audio all the word which immediately came to mind was "tone!".

Cheers.

# 17
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/22/2020 9:07 pm

yes it's Andertons website.

I'd noticed it was made in Indonesia, but has you say quite misleading.

They all sound good.

Even the Squier sounds good which is even cheaper too.

Just got my eye on eBay still.

watching a few American Fender & a Japanese one

# 18
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
11/23/2020 3:56 pm

as a bit of a tele fanatic, G&L is fantastic! you cannot go wrong with either guitar you are caught between. G&L is known as Fender 2.0 in my circles.

Depends on what you want to spend.

Also, there is a telecaster forum (TDPRI) where you will get honest reviews and takes on which one. G&L is well respected on this forum.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 19
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
AustinUK___9teen70eight
Full Access
11/23/2020 6:56 pm

thanks, I've had a read through

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.