Pedals

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Discussion > Pedals

marty farcal

Full Access

Would anyone have any suggestions for pedals to get a Neil Young vibe going? I currently have a Boss DS-2. Really don't know much about them.

Would anyone have any suggestions for pedals to get a Neil Young vibe going? I currently have a Boss DS-2. Really don't know much about them.

Guitar Tricks Admin

Full Access

Great question! Can you provide an example of the sound you are going for? Maybe a song example?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

Great question! Can you provide an example of the sound you are going for? Maybe a song example?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

Tinpan

Full Access

Maybe a flannel shirt, some really meaty sideburns, a great sneer and just go for it until ya bleed. Love Neil.

Maybe a flannel shirt, some really meaty sideburns, a great sneer and just go for it until ya bleed. Love Neil.

matonanjin2

Originally Posted by: Tinpan

Great point! I think the flannel shirts have as much to do with his tone as anything else!

Marty, a lot of his tone has to be credited to the '68 Black Les Paul and his Fender Deluxe. Here he talks about that, the "wang" bar and he touches on the echoplex, but not much more about pedals. He does talk about getting influences for his playing from Hank Marvin and Lonnie Mack. He also talks about combining reverb and echoplex to get try and get a guitar version of Floyd Cramer, the piano player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJNpZZBjxNk

I was hoping I could find a Premier Guitar "Rig Run Down" episode of Neil Young but couldn't. But a little "Google'ing" (Googling?) has to turn up some interviews somewhere with Mr. Young discussing his pedals.

Originally Posted by: Tinpan

Great point! I think the flannel shirts have as much to do with his tone as anything else!

Marty, a lot of his tone has to be credited to the '68 Black Les Paul and his Fender Deluxe. Here he talks about that, the "wang" bar and he touches on the echoplex, but not much more about pedals. He does talk about getting influences for his playing from Hank Marvin and Lonnie Mack. He also talks about combining reverb and echoplex to get try and get a guitar version of Floyd Cramer, the piano player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJNpZZBjxNk

I was hoping I could find a Premier Guitar "Rig Run Down" episode of Neil Young but couldn't. But a little "Google'ing" (Googling?) has to turn up some interviews somewhere with Mr. Young discussing his pedals.

marty farcal

Full Access

Thank you for the replies. Songs I would like to mess with would be anything with Crazy Horse. Huricane is a favorite.

Thank you for the replies. Songs I would like to mess with would be anything with Crazy Horse. Huricane is a favorite.

marty farcal

Full Access

Have to admit I was skeptical at first but dang the flannel works!!!

Tinpan

Full Access

Hehe. Excellent. Keep on rock in in the free world!

Hehe. Excellent. Keep on rock in in the free world!

matonanjin2

Originally Posted by: marty

Hurricane is a great one and one of my favorite NY songs of all time. I would think, depending on what stage one is at, this would be a good song to study Neil Young guitar work. I'm not sure what level it would be condsidered. Advance intermediate?

Seriously? You doubted?!?!

Marty, a little more searching turned up this Guitar World interview with Neil's guitar tech, Larry Cragg.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/neil-young-ragged-glory

Hurricane is a great one and one of my favorite NY songs of all time. I would think, depending on what stage one is at, this would be a good song to study Neil Young guitar work. I'm not sure what level it would be condsidered. Advance intermediate?

Seriously? You doubted?!?!

Marty, a little more searching turned up this Guitar World interview with Neil's guitar tech, Larry Cragg.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/neil-young-ragged-glory

dlwalke

Full Access

My understanding is that a lot of the heavy Crazy Horse sound has to do with his overdriven late '50's era tweed amps that you probably can't replicate at home unless you have a late 50's tweed amp or facsimile, and a soundproofed basement or are single with no neighbors. However, there are a number of pedals that try to emulate that particular overdriven sound. I have looked into it myself and, based solely on youtube videos, I like the CTC Falcon Drive. The Catalinbread Formula 55 is another good option, but look into it yourself and see what other options you might like.

My understanding is that a lot of the heavy Crazy Horse sound has to do with his overdriven late '50's era tweed amps that you probably can't replicate at home unless you have a late 50's tweed amp or facsimile, and a soundproofed basement or are single with no neighbors. However, there are a number of pedals that try to emulate that particular overdriven sound. I have looked into it myself and, based solely on youtube videos, I like the CTC Falcon Drive. The Catalinbread Formula 55 is another good option, but look into it yourself and see what other options you might like.

marty farcal

Full Access

Matonanjin2 thanks for the interview tip. After the interview I looked at the echoplex (?). This is cool!

Matonanjin2 thanks for the interview tip. After the interview I looked at the echoplex (?). This is cool!