TS9 Overdrive and Boost pedal?

T3_Dallas
T3_Dallas
08/04/2020 1:54 pm

hello- I sometimes get confused between an overdrive and a Boost pedal. I recently add the Ibanez TS9 to my board which already has the Spark Boost pedal.

Does having both on my board make sense or can the TS9 be used as a boost. Ive read that folks usually use the Boost pedal for pumping up leads. I also have a DOD Gunslingers, which seems liek a overdrive if i cut the gain all the way down.. looks i'm going in circles :)

So back to the original Q, would the TS9 do what the Spark TS9 does and i can have one less pedal on my board?

Thank you

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
08/04/2020 2:23 pm

Both pedals have a use in my opinion but I am biased and use many different pedals.

I would set them to differnt levels of boost so one increases volume and the other pushes the amp even harder into break up. You can also experiment with both pedals on together for another tone.

Personally I like using the TS9 with the volume up fairly high to nearly full and then use the gain control to set the overall volume of the pedal, I think it works better that way than using it like you would a conventional pedal.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/04/2020 6:21 pm
Originally Posted by: thanusht

Does having both on my board make sense or can the TS9 be used as a boost.

[/quote]

It depends on how you intend to use them. They do have some overlap. But they can both be used for specific purposes. I did a tutorial on using an overdrive type pedal as a boost, and in addition to an overdrive ("stacking pedals").

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2609

Originally Posted by: thanushtIve read that folks usually use the Boost pedal for pumping up leads.

Definitely. And since you already have a DOD Gunslinger, which is an all out distortion pedal, you could say you don't need the TS9 & the boost. On the other hand depending on the music you play & the options you want available, you might want 3 distinct levels of gain:

1. Boost (clean but louder)

2. Overdrive (mild gain & potential volume boost)

3. Distortion (full gain & potential volume boost)

[quote=thanusht]would the TS9 do what the Spark TS9 does and i can have one less pedal on my board?

Probably, yes. But there might be some tonal charactertistics that you like in one, versus the other.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
T3_Dallas
T3_Dallas
08/04/2020 8:37 pm

Appreciate the responses !

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.