Guitar Fret Wires Worn

usa4cc
usa4cc
05/27/2020 9:33 pm

I just got a guitar back in March. It's the Fender Squier Telecaster.

I just noticed that the fret wires look like they're already starting to become somewhat flat. Is that normal?

I haven't used a capo except for a few seconds. I am a beginner so maybe I am doing something wrong?

# 1
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
05/28/2020 1:45 am

Your picture didn't post so I'm just guessing here. It seems highly unusual to have that sort of fret wear in a few months. Capoing shouldn't cause that problem either. Could it be a bit of optical illusion? Maybe the frets are more polished where the strings hit them and they look flat? Have you restrung the guitar recently? Maybe get a picture when a couple of strings have been removed.

# 2
Guitar Tech
Guitar Tech
05/28/2020 11:55 am

Hello, usa4cc;

Davem_or made a couple of good comments (and asked excellent questions), here (thanks!) - I agree with everything he said, with one exception: if you're practicing a lot of bending techniques (and/or just playing a lot of Blues guitar), (unfortunately) you could easily have worn several of your 'favorite' note-bending frets quite badly, already...

Davem_or also suggested sending us a photo of your guitar's fingerboard, with some of the strings removed - this is another excellent suggestion, which I would modify slightly, to suggest specifically removing the 2nd and 3rd strings (the 'B' and 'G' strings), to examine the fret-wear, since these two strings tend to show wear, first.

Stephen White

# 3
usa4cc
usa4cc
05/28/2020 11:40 pm

Sorry, here is the picture.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjZAZpuzqUosgtNt0MhkZGPG0SCXhw

I I haven't restrung the guitar recently, other than the first two strings. Also I am still a beginner so I haven't done any note bending or anything like that.

Can you see what I mean in the picture now?

# 4
Herman10
Herman10
05/29/2020 12:50 am

looks to me like it is just the oxidation layer which is rubbed off, not really cavities under the strings, probably your guitar has been hanging in the store a long time without cleaning, something you should do to after every time you played; just wipe the strings with a dry soft cloth.

# 5
Guitar Tech
Guitar Tech
05/29/2020 12:59 pm
Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

looks to me like it is just the oxidation layer which is rubbed off, not really cavities under the strings, probably your guitar has been hanging in the store a long time without cleaning, something you should do to after every time you played; just wipe the strings with a dry soft cloth.

hsnoeckx is exactly right - you're looking at corroded fret-wire. Removing the strings, followed by a thorough polishing with 2500-grit sandpaper on a 'short-block' (this is a hard rubber block, that's made specifically to hold a strip of sandpaper) will make short work of this problem. However, Do Not use any sandpaper coarser than 2000 grit, for this job - sanding frets with coarse sandpaper will result in randomly lowering the frets, which would be a disaster!

Stephen White

# 6
usa4cc
usa4cc
05/29/2020 9:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tech
Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

hsnoeckx is exactly right - you're looking at corroded fret-wire. Removing the strings, followed by a thorough polishing with 2500-grit sandpaper on a 'short-block' (this is a hard rubber block, that's made specifically to hold a strip of sandpaper) will make short work of this problem. However, Do Not use any sandpaper coarser than 2000 grit, for this job - sanding frets with coarse sandpaper will result in randomly lowering the frets, which would be a disaster!

Stephen White

Thanks!

I'm glad that's all that it is.

# 7
Guitar Tech
Guitar Tech
05/30/2020 11:44 am

You're right about that! It's great when a problem turns out to be less than it appears to be. So often, it's exactly the opposite situation...

Stephen White

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.