Fender Locking Tuners on MIM Strat

J.Pitzer89
J.Pitzer89
04/29/2019 7:04 pm

Hey all,

So I have a Fender Player Series Strat and looking to change out my tuning machines for Fender locking tuners. One of the things I noticed is that the tuners on now are not staggered. The locking tuners have 3 tuners at one height and 3 at a lower height. My question would be, that if keep all else the same (String gauge, etc), do you think throwing these on with mess up the set up of my guitar? I hate to install and restring then realize that my trem is all out of wack because of it.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Cheers,

Jim

# 1
bookas58
bookas58
04/30/2019 8:59 pm

Should not make any discenable difference . I have locking tuners on most of my guitars , either Gotoh or Sperzel . A set up is from the nut to the the bridge . So I cannot see a miniscule change in the string break angle making a noticable difference to the truss rod setting . You could always do a before and after check with a set of feeler gauges and adjust accordingly .

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
04/30/2019 10:55 pm
Originally Posted by: J.Pitzer89 My question would be, that if keep all else the same (String gauge, etc), do you think throwing these on with mess up the set up of my guitar?

No.

[br]Quoting Fender: "Set of six locking tuners [u]designed to fit most modern-style Fender electric guitars[/u] with [u]dual-pin mounting configuration[/u]. Tall post tuners are used for the wound strings and shorter post tuners are used for the plain strings. [u]Staggered tuners increase the break angle over the nut and improve tuning stability[/u]."

Truthfully I use a mix of both locking and non-locking tuners on my 7 electric guitars, all of which get used regularly. A mix of Gotoh, Wilkinson, Grover, & Yamaha OEM. Unless you're a massive tremolo user, apart from the genuine advantage of easy & lightning fast string changes, if the OEM tuners are [u]stable[/u] and mechanically smooth with an acceptable to you gear ratio, changing out to lockers is just GAS driven and largely expensive boasting rights eye candy. But hey, it's [u]your[/u] money. I'm certainly in no position deny the influence GAS can exert over logic. If you can [u]easily[/u] afford it and buying them makes you happier with your guitar, go for it I say.

# 3
J.Pitzer89
J.Pitzer89
05/01/2019 12:27 am
Originally Posted by: bookas58

Should not make any discenable difference . I have locking tuners on most of my guitars , either Gotoh or Sperzel . A set up is from the nut to the the bridge . So I cannot see a miniscule change in the string break angle making a noticable difference to the truss rod setting . You could always do a before and after check with a set of feeler gauges and adjust accordingly .

Appreciate the note. I thought I would be safe!

# 4
J.Pitzer89
J.Pitzer89
05/01/2019 12:28 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: J.Pitzer89 My question would be, that if keep all else the same (String gauge, etc), do you think throwing these on with mess up the set up of my guitar?

No.

[br]Quoting Fender: "Set of six locking tuners [u]designed to fit most modern-style Fender electric guitars[/u] with [u]dual-pin mounting configuration[/u]. Tall post tuners are used for the wound strings and shorter post tuners are used for the plain strings. [u]Staggered tuners increase the break angle over the nut and improve tuning stability[/u]."

Truthfully I use a mix of both locking and non-locking tuners on my 7 electric guitars, all of which get used regularly. A mix of Gotoh, Wilkinson, Grover, & Yamaha OEM. Unless you're a massive tremolo user, apart from the genuine advantage of easy & lightning fast string changes, if the OEM tuners are [u]stable[/u] and mechanically smooth with an acceptable to you gear ratio, changing out to lockers is just GAS driven and largely expensive boasting rights eye candy. But hey, it's [u]your[/u] money. I'm certainly in no position deny the influence GAS can exert over logic. If you can [u]easily[/u] afford it and buying them makes you happier with your guitar, go for it I say.

I hear ya. Truthfully, it is to make string changes a bit easier/ faster. Thanks for dropping in!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.