Hard cases or gig bag....

04/23/2002 4:29 pm

Just quick question, do you guys use hard case or gig bags to carry your guitar around.

Also, do you use those tripod stands or wall mounted stand to put away your guitar.

Personaly I have a hard case for my SG (since the neck is so fragile)but I like the gig bags a lot.

P.S: I ask those question cause I'm moving soon and trying to figure out how I'm gonna organise my stuff. Maybe some of you have had bad experience that I could spare myself from.
# 1
FretSlug
FretSlug
04/23/2002 6:31 pm
I use a gig bag because it's so light to carry. But if I'm going to play a gig somewhere far from my home and I must go there by buss or car which has a lot of passengers and/or a lot of heavy stuff I prefer a case because it gives a good shelter to the guitar.. If you are moving I suppose it could be wise to keep the guitar in the case instead of moving it around, because a gig bag doesn't offer so much protection..

A very intelligent answer.. Duh. :)
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 2

04/23/2002 7:07 pm
Do you and your guitar a favor and by a hardshell case. They is no excuse for letting a beauty get bumped and banged just because you wanted to go with a $10 gig back instead of a $70 case. I know this because I used to have a gig back, and my guitar would bump all over the place. Finally I invested in a hardshell, and let me tell you, if I didn't have it know my guitar would probably be a pile of parts!
# 3
Slasher
Slasher
04/23/2002 9:55 pm
Right with ya James. I carry mine in a gig bag,n I've had a few accidents. Accidently bashed my beloved Slash model Les Paul into my mates flat door and shattered the selector switch cap. N my local music shop bein **** couldnt get one small enough. So it has a big one with some tape on the inside to make it fit. I still cry to this day. And only last week did I smash my crappy strat into my flat mates hallway and put a chip in the side of the body. So my advice: Get a hard case.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 4
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/24/2002 1:52 am
I traveled with some friends to a jazz festival with my acoustic guitar in a gig bag. Over night, someone must have dropped it (in its bag) pretty hard. $400 (australian) later, my acoustic guitar sounds just as good but has a massive bit of patching on the bottom. I was not happy. To say the least. Get a hard case.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/24/2002 3:24 am
I'm sure you've seen pictures of people playing guitars that have that beat-up, long-haul-road-trip look to them. A gig bag can help you to achieve that look in a couple of cross-town trips! :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/24/2002 7:13 am
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
I'm sure you've seen pictures of people playing guitars that have that beat-up, long-haul-road-trip look to them. A gig bag can help you to achieve that look in a couple of cross-town trips! :eek:

I hear it gives the impression of being good,since you've been in the game that long your guitar looks that old.It's kinda like the bibles you see people carry in church;see a good looking one,and that guy is probably attendinghis first service in three years so his new born baby gets baptized.See an old and thumbed one,that guy probably reads it to the loo.
So this should serve as a warning;next time you go to church and want to look "churchy",don't pass by the christian book store,pass by your granny's.:D
# 7
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/24/2002 11:28 pm
My guitar has that look from actually being played (aside from the massive scar on the back), but I could have kept it in better condition longer. I think electric guitars with the paint worn away can look quite cool, but I always prefer acoustics looking perfect. I get sad every time mine gets scratched.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 8
JAzBone
JAzBone
04/25/2002 12:05 am
I worked at a music store for a while and we always discouraged people from buying gig bags. Sure, it's a little more money for a hardshell, but for how much money you've invested in your instrument, you want to protect it. All my guitars have hardshell cases.

Just my 2cents ;-)
JAz
Just my 2cents ;-)
JAz
# 9

04/25/2002 2:18 am

I use Gigbags for the convenience of strapping them on my back and go.

Do they make hardcases designed for SG's? The one I got is not made for them but I've put foams in it and carved the shape of the my SG. It doesn't look good but the guitar is really secure.
# 10
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
02/01/2021 3:36 pm

When I bought my Fender Strat it came with a TSA compliant locking hardshell case. The case says Fender on it (of course) but it was made by another company, I suspect. It is indestructable!

The first couple times that I flew with it I was still concerned and so I put my cheaper Yamaha Pacifica (S type) in it. And I checked my guitar in luggage. And, of course, it always arrived at the destination airport unblemished. Now when I fly I put the Strat in it.

My Strat is far from my favorite guitar. I don't play it at home that much. But whenever I travel I take it. Definitely if I fly the Strat goes with. But even if I am travelling across town the Strat goes in the hardshell case and thrown on the back seat.

Hardshell cases are expensive. But for me the amount of confidence I am afforded, especially the locking ones, make it worth it. I have looked at cases by third party companies like Gator for some of my other guitars. But for now, when travelling, the Strat goes.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 11
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/01/2021 11:29 pm

So I remember seeing ads for a gig bag. They demoed the gig bag by putting a guitar inside of it and then throwing out a second story window. Then the pulled out the guitar and it was fine. I don't know that it was not more of a trick photography thing than a truth in advertising thing. It did catch my attention, though not enough to go buy one. I stuck with my hard shell. But I still remember that ad many years later.

Has anybody here had good results in real life with a gig bag?

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 12
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
02/02/2021 6:55 am

Horror story: I was excited to take my first electric guitar with me to school in 9th grade, in a gig bag. The shoulder strap came off the bag and it crashed on the concrete, snapping the headstock right off.

I was devastated! No words...

To this day I do not trust gig bags.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 13
bouncee
bouncee
09/24/2021 3:10 pm

Gig bag for the win for me. I move around in urban areas with the guitar. I rather carry the gig bag like a back pack then struggle with a flight case in my hand. Plus a flight case in the hand mmake it hard to use the smartphone in a proper manner. A few scratches and dents don't mean a thing to me, it's only a guitar. I don't need that new look guitar, and I never polish it.

Maybe that is why I am not getting better?

# 14
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
09/25/2021 6:59 pm

I use both. For my acoustic, I have the hard shell it came in and use it when traveling overnight. If I'm going to a friend or local, I have an skb gig bag-which is highly structured/semi hard shell. It's lighter weight and is an excellent in between from a hard shell and a typical gig bag.

for my electric-I indulged in buying a reunion blues gig bag. I don't travel overnight with it-only local and only by car.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 15
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
01/16/2022 10:43 pm

Gig bag when it's just me and my friends at my house or their place.

Hard case all other times. Studio. Parties. Gigs. Anytime traveling.

I've seen too many tears over the years. Axes stomped on by roadies both by accident and on purpose. Thrown in a trunk, suitcase thrown on top, trunk slammed shut - crunch!

If it leaves the house (unless it's in my hands the entire time), pretty much it's in a hard case.

If you're on the road get an anvil case.

You can insure an instrument but you can't insure heartbreak.

# 16
blforman
blforman
01/17/2022 10:10 pm

It baffles me why companies like Fender and PRS continue to force people to shell out for hard cases. I shouldn't have to be buying a $2,500 guitar to get a hard case. Both my Taylor and my Gibson SG came with hard cases.

I have a single guitar with a gig bag, but that's solely because it's a Jazzmaster and I have yet to find an afforable case that actually fits the thing well (I refuse to drop the $250 or whatever it is that Fender asks for the JM case).

# 17
manXcat
manXcat
01/17/2022 10:56 pm
Originally Posted by: blforman

It baffles me why companies like Fender and PRS continue to force people to shell out for hard cases. I shouldn't have to be buying a $2,500 guitar to get a hard case. Both my Taylor and my Gibson SG came with hard cases.

I have a single guitar with a gig bag, but that's solely because it's a Jazzmaster and I have yet to find an afforable case that actually fits the thing well (I refuse to drop the $250 or whatever it is that Fender asks for the JM case).

The why is that the ordinary mass consumer's bottom line voice speaks volumes.

Most manufacturers offer the option in some cases no pun intended. High end units -read that as in overpriced prestige models which I'll wager are a relatively small percentile of overall sales might sometimes come supplied with a proprietary case because they can charge for it to that relatively price impervious demographic, but in my observation they are the anomaly.[br][br]Supplying a guitar in hard case as was has long been passe given the need to remain competitive in a saturated and price sensitive marketplace. Yes my very first Ibanez ('lawsuite' SG) came supplied in a plush hard case then standard practice and for a lot LOT less than a Gibson as was at the time (January,1974). In 2022, Ibanez don't any more, although I can buy a proprietary hard case as an optional extra (vs factored into a higher price point) if I wish. Where's the issue?[br][br]In any case, I don't see a problem. If once reall must have a hard case for any guitar today, there are generic but attractive and well made ABS shell ones that perform their role as good as any available which are inexpensive even in my country, so they must be 'cheaper than chips'/a serve of fries in the US?! [br][br]

# 18
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
01/25/2024 4:25 pm

Hard case. All day long.

Wall hanging or floor stands depends on who and what you have crawling around at floor level that can knock things over. The Hercules and Fender stands that hold the guitars by the neck are pretty stable.

If you use a wall hanger, try to mount it into a stud, or on a horizontal board mounted into studs if you're putting up multiple hangers.

There's also been a rash of non-String Swing wall hangers breaking recently, so I'd stick with the String Swing brand.

# 21

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.