Should i take lessons???

Guitar Tricks Forum > Music Theory > Should i take lessons???

Hi. I've been playing for exactly one year on a used Strat I bought fromt the local guitar shop. I've always wanted to play, but never had the resources. Once I started playing, though, I gained an immediate passion for it, and surrounded myself with other guitarists who have helped me along the way. I guess I'm an OK player (I really dont have anyone to compair too...) and have spent my the past year learning how to play the guitar, not learning songs to play with it; so when I listen to my friends brag about learning the latest and great song off of olga.net, I dont get much reaction with the rights to being able to playing an A major scale over chords, or improvising with a penatonic. Yet, as kewl as it is to see people in a state of shock when I play them some tabs I read, its not as kewl as hearing the veterans whail away on a half stack when i walk into a guitar store...and the first thing i ask them is if they took lessons? Usual, its a yes and I wonder if I will need them if i ever wanna understand as much as they do. I could stick with my friends...but they just keep playing other peoples songs...I have no one to compare technique too, so i guess ill keep learning the blue 12 - bar progression, or spend what little money i have on guitar lessons...(did i mention i still need to keep school in focus, as well a play practice and work...) IF ANYONE CAN PROVIDE INSIGHT, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

P.S. SORRY SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG!

Hi. I've been playing for exactly one year on a used Strat I bought fromt the local guitar shop. I've always wanted to play, but never had the resources. Once I started playing, though, I gained an immediate passion for it, and surrounded myself with other guitarists who have helped me along the way. I guess I'm an OK player (I really dont have anyone to compair too...) and have spent my the past year learning how to play the guitar, not learning songs to play with it; so when I listen to my friends brag about learning the latest and great song off of olga.net, I dont get much reaction with the rights to being able to playing an A major scale over chords, or improvising with a penatonic. Yet, as kewl as it is to see people in a state of shock when I play them some tabs I read, its not as kewl as hearing the veterans whail away on a half stack when i walk into a guitar store...and the first thing i ask them is if they took lessons? Usual, its a yes and I wonder if I will need them if i ever wanna understand as much as they do. I could stick with my friends...but they just keep playing other peoples songs...I have no one to compare technique too, so i guess ill keep learning the blue 12 - bar progression, or spend what little money i have on guitar lessons...(did i mention i still need to keep school in focus, as well a play practice and work...) IF ANYONE CAN PROVIDE INSIGHT, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

P.S. SORRY SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG!

Go for the lessons.

Especially that you have been messing with that thing for the past year, I think lessons will help you alot and bring what you have learned so far into focusa and with the right teacher, you'll progress alot faster.
My more experienced guitar buddies(all self taught) really dig my how my playing has progressed and even more at the theory stuff!
Any questions let us know.

Go for the lessons.

Especially that you have been messing with that thing for the past year, I think lessons will help you alot and bring what you have learned so far into focusa and with the right teacher, you'll progress alot faster.
My more experienced guitar buddies(all self taught) really dig my how my playing has progressed and even more at the theory stuff!
Any questions let us know.

Learning with lessons

Thanks alot, I appreciate the guidence! I'll be looking for lessons soon then (too bad that D in english diminished my hopes for em though, heh) and I certainly be looking this way whenever I have anymore questions. For some reason, though, I enjoy learning theory, ALOT! I feel more accomplishment understanding what I'm playing and being able to build on it, so I'll certainly will look into lessons soon. Thanks again!

Learning with lessons

Thanks alot, I appreciate the guidence! I'll be looking for lessons soon then (too bad that D in english diminished my hopes for em though, heh) and I certainly be looking this way whenever I have anymore questions. For some reason, though, I enjoy learning theory, ALOT! I feel more accomplishment understanding what I'm playing and being able to build on it, so I'll certainly will look into lessons soon. Thanks again!

get your phonebook out now.

absolutely take lessons and never stop learning.

get your phonebook out now.

absolutely take lessons and never stop learning.

Lessons? yes!

Right now I have only been playing for three years, and currently I am not taking lessons, but when I take lessons, my skills and learning reach new levels. Not only will a good teacher teach you all that good theory ( like what chords you can play a dorian scale in C over) but he will also teach you some fun songs that can impress your freinds. While im writing this, I would like to say, listen to Acoustic-guitar. He knows what hes talking about, and he plays the hardest type of guitar out there.
Peace out, play on.

Lessons? yes!

Right now I have only been playing for three years, and currently I am not taking lessons, but when I take lessons, my skills and learning reach new levels. Not only will a good teacher teach you all that good theory ( like what chords you can play a dorian scale in C over) but he will also teach you some fun songs that can impress your freinds. While im writing this, I would like to say, listen to Acoustic-guitar. He knows what hes talking about, and he plays the hardest type of guitar out there.
Peace out, play on.

Hey Nivek!

Have you started the lessons yet?
It's been over a month dude, whassup?

Hey Nivek!

Have you started the lessons yet?
It's been over a month dude, whassup?

Taking lessons....

NOPE STILL NO LESSONS!!! I probably cant take lessons till summer cause of school and im using the money right now to purchase a martin acoustic, but im still learning and working on scales...recently i figured out the entire beginning bass solo to dave matthews cover of all along the watchtower live at woodstock and i figured out paranoid android by radiohead, so in the mean time ill just be using what i have learned to the best of my ability...thanks again everyone!

Taking lessons....

NOPE STILL NO LESSONS!!! I probably cant take lessons till summer cause of school and im using the money right now to purchase a martin acoustic, but im still learning and working on scales...recently i figured out the entire beginning bass solo to dave matthews cover of all along the watchtower live at woodstock and i figured out paranoid android by radiohead, so in the mean time ill just be using what i have learned to the best of my ability...thanks again everyone!

Wait a minute!

You don't need any money for guitar lessons.
All these answers are found on the internet.

Lesson 1)

What is an interval? Hint: the space between notes

What intervals make up the major scale?
Hint: 1 1 1/2 1 1 1 1/2 1

What is the note names in the key of C for the major
scale?
Hint: C D E F G A B C

If you were to number these notes, what number would you assign each?
Hint: In order I ii iii IV V vi VII VII in Roman numerals.
the small case have special meaning.

What does the small case roman numerals mean?
Hint: these notes if harmonized would be the minor chords in that key.

What minor chords are there in the key of C?
Hint. Dm Em Am

What are all the chords in the key of C.

Cmajor Dminor Eminor Fmajor Gmajor Aminor B7major Cmajor

Now you know all chords in any given song in the key of C.

What intervals are necessary to make a major chord?
Hint: 1 3 5

What does 1 3 5 mean?
Hint: Starting with the first note C, then adding the third in the major scale E, then adding the fifth in the major scale G you have now spelled the chord Cmajor.
CEG.

Lesson 2)
Spell the chord Dm?
Hint this is a little tricky. First find the intervals necessary for minor chords.

Go to DANSM site on the web, it's free and cool.

Later

Wait a minute!

You don't need any money for guitar lessons.
All these answers are found on the internet.

Lesson 1)

What is an interval? Hint: the space between notes

What intervals make up the major scale?
Hint: 1 1 1/2 1 1 1 1/2 1

What is the note names in the key of C for the major
scale?
Hint: C D E F G A B C

If you were to number these notes, what number would you assign each?
Hint: In order I ii iii IV V vi VII VII in Roman numerals.
the small case have special meaning.

What does the small case roman numerals mean?
Hint: these notes if harmonized would be the minor chords in that key.

What minor chords are there in the key of C?
Hint. Dm Em Am

What are all the chords in the key of C.

Cmajor Dminor Eminor Fmajor Gmajor Aminor B7major Cmajor

Now you know all chords in any given song in the key of C.

What intervals are necessary to make a major chord?
Hint: 1 3 5

What does 1 3 5 mean?
Hint: Starting with the first note C, then adding the third in the major scale E, then adding the fifth in the major scale G you have now spelled the chord Cmajor.
CEG.

Lesson 2)
Spell the chord Dm?
Hint this is a little tricky. First find the intervals necessary for minor chords.

Go to DANSM site on the web, it's free and cool.

Later

I thought that B diminished was the B chord in the key of C.

I thought that B diminished was the B chord in the key of C.

Wow...lessons dont do much then...

Thanks a heck of alot acoustic...but in all honestly, i already leanred most of that stuff from the net; i did say i was a theory nut cause i get satisfaction from know what i am actually doing. The major scale interval i learned from a site called http://www.worldguitar.com and the C major scale (and every other major scale) i memorized and/or in the process of memorizing from a book called the complete guitarist. As for the roman numeral progression and blues progression, i took the time to get a basic feel for that through the help of sites like this (most of it makes perfect sense), as well as my own speculation and little past experience from playing the saxamaphone. However, i wanna get more knowledge on the major and minors and such...all in all, i still think an experienced guitar teacher would best be able to bring this all together. I think im overdue for some professional guidence and I'm very pleased with my decision to learn as much as possible on my own. Thanks again!

Wow...lessons dont do much then...

Thanks a heck of alot acoustic...but in all honestly, i already leanred most of that stuff from the net; i did say i was a theory nut cause i get satisfaction from know what i am actually doing. The major scale interval i learned from a site called http://www.worldguitar.com and the C major scale (and every other major scale) i memorized and/or in the process of memorizing from a book called the complete guitarist. As for the roman numeral progression and blues progression, i took the time to get a basic feel for that through the help of sites like this (most of it makes perfect sense), as well as my own speculation and little past experience from playing the saxamaphone. However, i wanna get more knowledge on the major and minors and such...all in all, i still think an experienced guitar teacher would best be able to bring this all together. I think im overdue for some professional guidence and I'm very pleased with my decision to learn as much as possible on my own. Thanks again!