Classical scales, is there?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Music Theory > Classical scales, is there?

Well here has lately been much of replies abous scales, and now it's my turn. My questition: is there so called "classical scales"? Scales, which are used a lot in classical music? If there is could you please send me some examples - to the forum or to my email? My email is at; lord_of_taciturnity@yahoo.com

I don't know much about scales and it's annoying to guess what solos fits to the chord etc. So any help with theory of scales are welcome.

Thanks.

/Demoralizer

Well here has lately been much of replies abous scales, and now it's my turn. My questition: is there so called "classical scales"? Scales, which are used a lot in classical music? If there is could you please send me some examples - to the forum or to my email? My email is at; lord_of_taciturnity@yahoo.com

I don't know much about scales and it's annoying to guess what solos fits to the chord etc. So any help with theory of scales are welcome.

Thanks.

/Demoralizer

Hey Demoralizer!
i think that most of the clasical pieces uses
The basic major scale , which is also called the ionian mode
and the minor scale which is know as aeolian mode
the aeolian mode is basicly the ionian one , starting on the 6 note ...
the ionian mode is built in the next way:
I ii iii IV V vi viiĀ°
The big letters is for major chord and the small is for minor...
example scale:
C D E F G A B C
from this one you can build any other , by replacing the C in the beginning by any other note...

hope that i helped you someway :)
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek

Hey Demoralizer!
i think that most of the clasical pieces uses
The basic major scale , which is also called the ionian mode
and the minor scale which is know as aeolian mode
the aeolian mode is basicly the ionian one , starting on the 6 note ...
the ionian mode is built in the next way:
I ii iii IV V vi viiĀ°
The big letters is for major chord and the small is for minor...
example scale:
C D E F G A B C
from this one you can build any other , by replacing the C in the beginning by any other note...

hope that i helped you someway :)
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek

Harmonic minor is another. There is a scale book I bought, called "The Ultimate Scale Book", it has tons of scales, and supplies you with the many genres they are used in.
SixStringShredder

Harmonic minor is another. There is a scale book I bought, called "The Ultimate Scale Book", it has tons of scales, and supplies you with the many genres they are used in.
SixStringShredder

Locrian

The Spanish style likes the Locrian scales.

Locrian

The Spanish style likes the Locrian scales.

Locrian in Spanish music

I don't think locrian is all that common in spanish music (or any kind, for that matter.) While the b2 is common in spanish or flamenco music, the b5 is not, and often there is a n3 present, making phrygian or phrygian dominant a more appropriate choice for spanish sounding styles.
As for locrian, well its used to play over half diminished chords in jazz, not much else comes to mind. Maybe some metal players use it?

Locrian in Spanish music

I don't think locrian is all that common in spanish music (or any kind, for that matter.) While the b2 is common in spanish or flamenco music, the b5 is not, and often there is a n3 present, making phrygian or phrygian dominant a more appropriate choice for spanish sounding styles.
As for locrian, well its used to play over half diminished chords in jazz, not much else comes to mind. Maybe some metal players use it?

Spanish Modes

Thanks Luigi, I meant the LYDIAN modes, I often stay in the realm of Dorian, Lydian, an Phrygian modes. Very often after my performances I have people tell me how Spanish I sound. The Dorian mode is my favorite.

Interesting hey?? Perhaps it was due to my childhood influences growing up listening to Mariachi music from Mexico.

Spanish Modes

Thanks Luigi, I meant the LYDIAN modes, I often stay in the realm of Dorian, Lydian, an Phrygian modes. Very often after my performances I have people tell me how Spanish I sound. The Dorian mode is my favorite.

Interesting hey?? Perhaps it was due to my childhood influences growing up listening to Mariachi music from Mexico.

Spanish Modes

I would think that the Aeolian (based on the 6th) would lend itself to Spanish music. The relative minor will give great contrast to any major key.

Spanish Modes

I would think that the Aeolian (based on the 6th) would lend itself to Spanish music. The relative minor will give great contrast to any major key.

Hey Acoustic Guitar!!!

Thanx for that site info! Seriously that is too kewl.
If you have any more can you e-mail me or make a new forum, call it maybe something like "Cool Guitar Info Sites" or something, or is something like that not a good thing to do on this site?

Hey Acoustic Guitar!!!

Thanx for that site info! Seriously that is too kewl.
If you have any more can you e-mail me or make a new forum, call it maybe something like "Cool Guitar Info Sites" or something, or is something like that not a good thing to do on this site?

Demoralizer,
Thought this might help you out:
http://home.earthlink.net/~vongspillan/
They have alot of info about the different types of scales and what kind of format they are played in.

Later

Demoralizer,
Thought this might help you out:
http://home.earthlink.net/~vongspillan/
They have alot of info about the different types of scales and what kind of format they are played in.

Later