How to best learn the major scale

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/07/2021 5:18 pm

I learned the mPenta one shape at a time. I can find the 5 shapes for the major scale online and I can learn in that order. I have however noticed that many people play shape 1 differently. They seem to hit the same note (tones) but use different frets. e.g., they start on A (5th fret 6th tring) and the pattern on that string is 5, 7, 9 (same on 5th string)...whereas the more common Pattern found online, suggests you start also on string 6, 5th fret (5-7), then it goes down to the 5th string, then 4th to complete the scale. I know they sound identical (or near identical), both are correct and that notes are everywhere (shapes are just suggestions.) For easy learning purposes though, can anyone suggest which is the better shape to learn? I want to eventually be able to link all the shapes together like I do with the mPenta so having a consistent road map is very important.

I'll also have to find some slides to link one to the other unless someone knows some good ones that work. Are there any good lessons on this that I can use as a reference? I don't have a great ear- it's slowly getting better but at least for now, I rely (and like) using shapes/patterns.

Thanks!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2021 7:54 pm

The answer to this depends on your current skill & knowledge level, as well as your musical goals.

From our previous conversations I'm assuming you have some basic playing skills but not too much theory knowledge. I strongly encourage you to watch through the basic theory sections of my old fundamentals course. Chapter 1 & 3 in particular are a great place to start with intervals, building into scales, building into chords.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2(discontinued)

That will give you a solid foundation of knowledge to build on as you continue to expand your playing skills. All of the answers to your questions are in those lessons.

Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000I have however noticed that many people play shape 1 differently. They seem to hit the same note (tones) but use different frets.[/quote]

Yes, it's possible to play the same note in more than place on the guitar. So, there's a lot of potential for confusion. And that's exactly why it's important to get clear on the theory as soon as possible. Watch my course linked above.

Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000For easy learning purposes though, can anyone suggest which is the better shape to learn?

Start with the open position of the C major scale in the lesson linked above. Practice it in one octave. Get used to associating the shape on the fretboard with that specific sound.

Learn the next pattern in which you have the same notes but some of them are on different strings! Practice it in one octave getting used to associating the shape on the fretboard with that specific sound.

Learn the next pattern! :) At this point you've got the basics because there are essentially only 3 patterns with multiple ways to combine them. So, next you start to learn to connect & combine them.

I have a whole tutorial on how to practice scales later in that course in chapter 7. It's all in C major & C minor, but it's applicable to any & all scales.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=451

This is when it's important to consider what you are actually going to use them for.

Some guitarists only need one of the basic patterns because they are only going to use scales as bass lines or fills to connect chords. Some players will want to know more about them, so it's important to learn how to see, play & hear the various scale patterns across the fretboard to various degrees.

Usually you learn that stuff as it becomes practical or necessary to your musical goals. How you practice scales depends on where you are in your learning process.

Are you working through one of the GF courses? One of the Style courses? Are you learning songs?

[quote=SRVFan2000]I want to eventually be able to link all the shapes together like I do with the mPenta so having a consistent road map is very important.

Good idea! Start with the theory & scales basics I linked above.

Then you will be ready for my series of lessons on major & minor diatonic scale patterns.

Major Scale Patterns 1

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=453

Minor Scale Patterns 1

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=887

Major Scale Patterns 2

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2643

Minor Scale Patterns 2

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2646

All of these can be found by going to my directory & scrolling down to the section Scales And Intervals.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Have fun learning & practicing scales!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/07/2021 8:29 pm

Thanks Chris. I will follow your advise and practice the major scale in order- and watch your lessons. I am still working on your other lessons but will get to this after.

I understand what you are saying about how you plan to use the scale (musical goals.) I am pretty much a blank canvas at this time so open to anything- but want to learn the correct way. Thank you for providing all this direction.

I was just working through the scale formulas for major and minor keys. It's interesting how the forumulas are different but mathmatically, identical as they apply to the I, IV and V. Those are equidistant but how they get there (steps) is different. This difference notably effects the other degrees of the scale like the II, III, VI, etc. Also, the treatment of the flat 3rd (for minor.) I noticed that in the major key, the I, IV, V are all major and the II, III & VI are minor. It's flipped around for the minor keys. The more I learn basic theory, the more I think of the guitar as math- it's all about intervals, scale, and related steps. Having studied engineering in college, I took calculus. I can't say I much liked it but when applied to guitar, I can appreciate it much more!

I can play a little- yes and I actually do have an understanding of "some" theory. I clearly do however have some big gaps. With your help and all these great lessons on GT, I am confident that the pieces will come together. As I fill in the blanks I think that I will progress quickly. I'm not in a big hurry though- this is a fun hobby for me and I am enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

Regarding songs, I need to work through more complex tunes. I know that is something that should run concurrent with theory as they compliment each other. Having played for many years, my mechanics and speed is decent. I am equally happy playing very slow- and unplugged. One of my favorite concerts was watching Chris Cornell play unplugged acoustic. I was impressed with how he played familiar tunes (like Billy Jean) in a very slow, clean manner. My problem is that I can play many songs- maybe too many, but to a limited degree. I can pull up just about any YTube backing track and play along...but it's thin. After 20 minutes, it's much of the same scales, riffs and chords just repeating. After I watch your lessons, I need to work on playing in time, use a metronome more, master slash chords, rythm and a lot more. I have a long way to go! I use to play drums so you would think my timing would be good- it's not. My first guitar teacher turned on a metronome and what I had just played essentially fell apart. Blues- sure, that's easy to follow but trying to fit notes into measures consistentlyt- not happening. I can fake it- but that is not the end goal. I can play along to songs and sound good but never be able to play it the same way twice.

Thanks again!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/08/2021 12:44 pm
Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000Thanks Chris. I will follow your advise and practice the major scale in order- and watch your lessons. I am still working on your other lessons but will get to this after.

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.