Scales in general

El Sanchez
El Sanchez
10/03/2001 5:04 pm
This will probab;y sound like a completely inane question, but how exactly do scales work? Why are certain notes preferable to otheres, how do I work out scales etc?
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/03/2001 5:57 pm
scales are basically a study of sounds and tonalities generated by playing a series of notes in a fixed order. The best thing playing through scales will do for you is to train your ear to recognize these sounds & to know how to obtain them on your instrument.
The ultimate goal for any instrumentalist is to be able to think creatively & to reproduce the music one dreams up in there head. To do this one must study sounds and how to achieve these sounds i.e.; playing scales will help you recognize sounds (major, minor, blues, etc..). We put labels on these sounds so that we can better comunicate with other musicians about what we are hearing...I hope this makes sense, and I know this is an incomplete answer to your question, but....simple questions are often diffacult to answer, & it will be interesting to see how others respond. see ya!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.