Is this how scales/modes work?

reddiva
reddiva
07/09/2001 2:25 pm
Ok I learn the A Pent on 5 fret, so if I want to play the f pent i go up to the 1 fret on high f, or I want to play the b pent so I go to the 7 fret and play high B. Is this how it works?
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/10/2001 4:35 am

Yup, just slide it up and down to the desired root note.
# 2
fingers
fingers
07/16/2001 6:20 pm
You have the basic concept right. Remember the pentatonic scale PATTERN you have learned beginning at the fifth fret, is only one of five different patterns you can use in the key of A. Each different pattern starts on a different note with in the 5 note pentatonic scale. The whole set of patterns is movable up and down the neck.

If you trying to solo using only the one pattern, your music is going to be limited to only that position on the neck. Watch any guitar video and you will see thats is not how soloing is done. Every good lead player will use the many if not all fingering postions in their solos.

Learn all five positions, and you can play all up and down the neck as still stay within the same key. You will shift up and down the neck, but your still playing the same group of 5 notes. They will be in different octaves but they will be the same 5 notes.

If you practice one postion a week, in a month, you should know all five. Then you are ready to take off. Each one so well you no longer have to think to play them. Learn to move from one to the next as you learn each new one. Learn to work up a position and down a position.
From your posts, you sound as if you want to know how it all works, rather than earn random pieces at a time, Take a few nights and work through a basic on line course (there are many out on the web.) One I like is here: http://www.zentao.com/guitar. There are lesson and theory pages to learn, and they are presented in a logical way. When you are finished with a set of lessons (and can do the exersises and play and understand what is happening with each one, you will be a long way toward being a better guitarist.

As the song goes walk don't run.
# 3
emmanuel79
emmanuel79
07/19/2001 3:17 pm
To play a pentatonic scales, it is not necessary to play the root note first, you can start anything that is related to the chords. say, when Aminor is the chord, you don't have to start from the 5th fret 6th string or maybe 7th fret 4th string. You can start anywhere, say you know, the pentatonic scales,

e.g
Simple Aminor pentatonic
e---|---|---|---|11-|---|---|12-|---
b---|---|---|---|-9-|---|---|10-|---
g---|---|---|---|-7-|---|-8-|---|---
d---|---|---|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|---
a---|---|---|---|-3-|---|-4-|---|---
e---|---|---|---|-1-|---|---|-2-|---

You can start anywhere either from this numbers or the octave of these numbers.

It is good you wanted to know about this because this is what a new lead guitarsit should begin with. Take your time to master all this stuff. Oh, by the way, make sure your picking and fingering technique should be in the right way.
Up-Down-up-Down, this finger, that finger, the other finger... and so on...

HACK THE GUITAR *** KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
*Aliens Understand Music*
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.