Zeppelin
Zeppelin
02/27/2001 8:37 pm
Today i was jamming with few guys on my guitar lesson
and we were playing the next progression:
E7/9 % % %
A13% E7/9
B13 A13 E7/9 B13

while soloing we were using E blues scale.. and it didnt has that funky sound we needed for those chords so if anyone can suggest a funk scale for those chords please let me know
thnx
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/04/2001 1:21 am
Well, first I'd like to say be careful with those funny chords. You might hurt yourself.

If I were playing with you guys, I would probably start with soloing in Em pentatonic. In particular, I would start on the 7th fret with the fingering that looks like an Em chord:

E |-----7-------10----------------|
B |--------8----10----------------|
G |-----7-----9-------------------|
D |-----7-----9-------------------|
A |-----7-------10----------------|
E |-----7-------10----------------|

I hope this helps out.

Jon

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
03/04/2001 3:34 am
The funk solo sound isn't in the scale you use, what's distinctive about funk soloing isn't in the harmony implied. Jon had the right idea, it's basically pentatonic. If you'll look you'll notice that those chords resemble very very closely an E 12 bar blues. The way to make a solo sound like a funk solo instead of a blues solo is in the feel. Play rythmically, try including a lot of octave jumps, those are common in funk riffs. Maybe try playing muted notes, and try including chords in your solo. These are just ideas, but what it comes down to is that you have to make it sound like funk, and no one scale will do that for you. (You could also try arpeggiating the chords to be more interesting. I'm not sure if its a funk sound, more of a jazz thing, but it will make your solo more harmonically interesting.)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.