Question about string tension and a floyd rose

Bredtoshred
Bredtoshred
06/21/2021 8:35 pm

[br]Hello everyone. This is my first time using this site. But the reason for me being here is this. I have a schecter apocalypse c1 fr s and its great. So is the floyd. I understand it well enough to change my own strings and adjust action/truss rod when needed. When I press the whammy bar down to the point all the strings go loose except for the second (b) and first (high e) strings. They do lose tension but not to the point of the other strings. The other four get floppy while the first and second are still under a bit of tension. I have feeler gauges to check the relief in the neck which is .006 of an inch/15mm. I capo off the strings at the first fret then fret around the 17'th fret and measure with feeler gauges at the 6'th fret. I also have an action gauge and measure the action at the 12'th fret. I also can intonate as well. I've been playing guitar for about a year now and ive also fell in love with understanding the guitar itself and not just playing. If anyone can let me know whats going on with the first and second strings I would appreciate it. Thank you. And sorry for the long message. I just felt the need to explain that I understand how the guitar and the floyd works

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/22/2021 5:05 pm

Hey there! Great question, but this might be a bit too nuanced for the kind of help you require. We highly suggest taking the guitar to your local shop to have it professionally looked at. Unless there are some luthiers in the forum who can provide some insight??

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/22/2021 6:26 pm
Originally Posted by: BredtoshredWhen I press the whammy bar down to the point all the strings go loose except for the second (b) and first (high e) strings. They do lose tension but not to the point of the other strings. The other four get floppy while the first and second are still under a bit of tension.

In my experience that's completely normal Floyd Rose vibrato functioning. Every video you watch of a locking nut vibrato system shows exactly that: low strings floppy, high strings tighter.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.