Humbucker Wax

Playing Noyz
Full Access
Playing Noyz
Full Access
04/13/2021 11:59 pm

A couple of months ago I purchased my first electric guitar, a PRS S2 Standard 24 with 58/15 “S” humbucker pickups. While adjusting the height of the pickups, I happened to notice that the pole-piece screws have what appears to be wax in the screw heads. I'm assuming it's wax. Should I remove the wax or is it something that really isn’t all that big of a deal (i.e. leave it alone)? By the way, the humbucker pickups are clean, the wax is only in the screw head slots.[br] [br]Thanks in advance.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/14/2021 2:00 am
Originally Posted by: Playing Noyz

Should I remove the wax or is it something that really isn’t all that big of a deal (i.e. leave it alone)?

Leave it. Less chance of damaging the pickup pole pieces. Pickups are manufactured that way. The wax helps keep the coils tight to prevent microphonic feedback from vibrations.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/learn-about-guitar-pickups-and-electronics-and-wiring/none-of-your-beeswax-potting-pickups-with-paraffin-.html

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Playing Noyz
Full Access
Playing Noyz
Full Access
04/14/2021 3:10 am

Thank you for the reply and the linked resource. I assumed it was there for some reason but didn't understand why. Now I know.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.