Fender Tone App Problem

n8tron3030
Full Access
n8tron3030
Full Access
04/27/2020 7:22 pm

Hi, I've been a Guitar Tricks subscriber for a couple years but I have never ventured into the forums. I went to Fender's website to get help with this, but they have shut their forums down. I installed the Fender Tone app to two different up-to-date Windows 10 machines and tried plugging my Mustang LT25 amp into each of them with the requisite micro USB cable. On both machines, the app fails to recognize the amp and suggests upgrading the firmware on the amp. But of course, the only way to upgrade the firmware on the LT25 is through the Tone app. Which I can't do because it won't recognize it. You see the problem here. I have no idea where to begin solving this and thought I would inquire if anyone here has experienced this problem and would be willing to share a solution. Or if you have suggestions on where to find help I would appreciate it as well! Thank you!

# 1
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
04/28/2020 1:54 am

I'm not really familiar with the app or the amps but the LT25 isn't listed as a supported amp.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fender.tone&hl=en_US

Unless I'm missing something.

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
04/28/2020 2:08 am

davem_or has given you the most probable reason.

I don't own one, but do own a number of modelling amps. Prima facie it appears that Fender have made their software clever recognise that amp model is unsupported, but not clever enough to present other than a generic dialogue to the user inferring that.

On that premise my advice would be to leave it alone until after you've researched everything you can about the issue including emailing Fender product support, checked the Fender forums (?) for a FAQ, and spoken to other LT25 owners, or risk bricking it if you somehow manage to force it to download new firmware it shouldn't which will really cause you a headache.

Until you can, it's working, leave it alone. GL with your quest.

# 3
dj_si
dj_si
05/29/2020 2:54 am

I initially ran into the same problem with Fender Tone (on Windows 10) and the LT25 firmware update, but after a bit of trial and error I got it to work. I think these are the steps I followed:

- Make sure the Fender Tone Win10 app is fully closed (not minimised)

- Ensure that the LT25 is off, connect it to the computer with the microUSB cable, then switch the amp on

- Wait for Windows 10 to confirm the required driver setup has finished and the "device is ready" (just to make sure that the computer and amp can talk to each other!)

- Switch the LT25 off

- Start the Fender Tone Win10 app - it will say it can't find any device

- On the LT25, while keeping the encoder dial's centre button pressed down, switch on the amp and count 3 seconds, then release the button - this puts the amp into Firmware Update Mode, and the LCD display will remain off

- The Fender Tone app on the computer should now offer to update the LT25's firmware

Hope that helps!

# 4
albertareed1988
albertareed1988
12/15/2020 9:57 am

Thanks for the information keep sharing such informative post keep suggesting such post.

# 5
daskole
daskole
04/06/2021 4:13 pm

Thank you so much, dj_si, that actually worked for me!

Originally Posted by: dj_si

I initially ran into the same problem with Fender Tone (on Windows 10) and the LT25 firmware update, but after a bit of trial and error I got it to work. I think these are the steps I followed:

- Make sure the Fender Tone Win10 app is fully closed (not minimised)

- Ensure that the LT25 is off, connect it to the computer with the microUSB cable, then switch the amp on

- Wait for Windows 10 to confirm the required driver setup has finished and the "device is ready" (just to make sure that the computer and amp can talk to each other!)

- Switch the LT25 off

- Start the Fender Tone Win10 app - it will say it can't find any device

- On the LT25, while keeping the encoder dial's centre button pressed down, switch on the amp and count 3 seconds, then release the button - this puts the amp into Firmware Update Mode, and the LCD display will remain off

- The Fender Tone app on the computer should now offer to update the LT25's firmware

Hope that helps!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.