Electric Acoustic Brigdge adjustment

kevinjarratt
kevinjarratt
04/24/2020 8:58 pm

Hi

I hope someone can help?

I have a Takimnine Electric acoustic but feel the action is too high. Can this be adjusted

at the saddle?

Thank you in advance

Kevin :)

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
04/24/2020 10:09 pm

Generally there is no screw type saddle height adjustment on acoustics as there is on most electric guitars.

Because of this, adjusting saddle height is generally beyond the scope of many users, and the majority of beginners with the possible exception of those technically minded and hands on capable.

Saddles on (e-) acoustics are generally precompensated proprietary synthetic mouded single piece or bone set in a wooden bridge slot. Depending upon the type of pickup implemented, yours may also may be fitted with a piezo strip directly under the saddle in that slot. That adds an additional layer of complication.

[br]Take it to a luthier if you want the action lowered and think the saddle height needs to be reduced. It could just be and is most likely that the guitar needs setting up. OOTB the nut cut and saddle heights should be fine from the factory, but [u]the truss rod may need adjusting.[/u]

Sight along the neck. It should be straight and not bowed in either direction. If it is bowed either convex or concave (likely if the action is truly excessively high), it needs correcting by adjusting neck relief via your truss rod which will concomitantly adjust the action. If this is all Ancient Greek to you or you're not confident about adjusting it, [u]take it to a luthier[/u].

If suspected high action is the issue, along with the sight test previously referred to, measure it first with a steel rule and compare with Takamine's recommended specification to ensure it actually is rather than merely perception.

Cheers

manXcat

# 2
kevinjarratt
kevinjarratt
04/26/2020 9:22 pm

Hi ManXcat,

My Guitar has the pickup attached to the bridge :(

I have adjusted the truss rod and that had taken the curve out of the neck :)

But thank you for the advice on the looking on the Takamine website for the spec.

Thank you again

Best Regards

Kevin

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
04/26/2020 9:38 pm

A pleasure Kevin. Pleased for you that you got the problem sorted.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.