acustic string problem

raymee
raymee
12/18/2013 12:53 am
My strings are in tune with my tuner, but when I press the high E string at fret 8 and higher it is out of tune? What could be the problem? Does that mean I need new strings?
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
12/18/2013 7:18 am
Sounds like your intonation is out. Intonation is your guitar being in tune with itself. So when you play an E, be it the low E string, the high E string, or an E anywhere on the fretboard, in theory, they should all be perfectly tuned to E, just higher or lower in pitch.

When your intonation is out on an electric, there are usually adjusters in the bridge or saddle that allow you to adjust your intonation back in tune.

Unfortunately, acoustic guitars have a fixed saddle/bridge, so adjusting the intonation is not so easy. If the guitar is worth more than $300, you'll want to take it to a luthier/repair shop and get an estimate on getting it fixed. You can try yourself.. watch some YouTube videos, but i wouldn't bother if it were me... just let a pro do it.

If the guitar is a cheapy, worth less than $200 with no sentimental value, then put in behind your car in the driveway, back over it, then pick it up, take it to your spouse and show them the guitar with tears in your eyes... I guarantee you will have a brand new replacement in 8 days! ;)
# 2
maggior
maggior
12/18/2013 2:12 pm
Definitely sounds like an intonation problem. Before you back over your guitar in the driveway (lovely imagery with that one :-), you might try putting a fresh set of strings on the guitar. Back when I was a teenager and didn't have money to change strings often, I would build up all sorts of crud and corrosion on my strings. Even with removing the crud on a regular basis, eventually my guitar's intonation would be off. I sweat a lot and my sweat was really corrosive to metal, so if I go too long between string changes, my intonation goes off.

I've also read in the guitar tech forum here that, though rare, you can have a bum string out of a fresh pack that can throw off your intonation.

Something else to look for - you mention that at the 8th fret is where you see the problem. Does you neck dip at that point? If your action is really high at the 8th fret, your intonation can seem off since you add tension to the string bringing it down to the fretboard. If that was the case, it would most likely effect all 6 strings, not just the high E.
# 3
raymee
raymee
12/18/2013 9:05 pm
Thanks a lot for info. I think I best take it to a pro. It is a Epiphone 500 and cost me 600 a year ago. I agree with your analysis. Thanks.
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
01/03/2014 4:35 am
Some acoustic saddles aren't glued down and may fall out when changing strings... if that has happened, be sure you put the saddle back in the right direction. The bottom (e,B,G) strings should have the part of the bridge that is staggered and the top of the bridge should be more smooth.
# 5
marlinputnam8745
marlinputnam8745
03/20/2019 9:28 am

yeah, definitely you need a new pair of strings, and if your guitar is not much costly replace it with a new one.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.