Replacing pickups for dummies

Guitar Tricks Forum > Tech Talk > Replacing pickups for dummies

PonyOne

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

Yeah dude. If you're itnerested, lemme know...
more from the self-proclaimed king of long-winded posts
Fox Magic Jiron - Always with us
now with more long-wind power: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tristan_s/

Yeah dude. If you're itnerested, lemme know...

damaged

Great guide :) Now all I need to do is get a guitar worth upgrading :( stupid Ltd f-50 (please no one buy one unless you like insanly high action to avoid fret buzz and muddy pups oh and towering pick frets lol i swear its like playing on a scalopped neck :confused: I dont even touch the Fret board when playing) Well I fixed the action and fret buzz now atleast.
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."

Great guide :) Now all I need to do is get a guitar worth upgrading :( stupid Ltd f-50 (please no one buy one unless you like insanly high action to avoid fret buzz and muddy pups oh and towering pick frets lol i swear its like playing on a scalopped neck :confused: I dont even touch the Fret board when playing) Well I fixed the action and fret buzz now atleast.
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."

BostonRocker51

thanks

Thanks so much for posting this. I have a 1990 Les Paul Junior I want to put a really vintage dog ear P-90 on - have any suggestions for a retarded neophyte?

thanks

Thanks so much for posting this. I have a 1990 Les Paul Junior I want to put a really vintage dog ear P-90 on - have any suggestions for a retarded neophyte?

ScottySLO

"F" size poles vs standard

Can I put a pair of antiquity humbuckers in my 72 RI tele custom deluxe or will the poles not match up?? I read that there is a "F" sizing for fender guitars and that the standard PAF Gibson sizing does not match up the string correctly over the poles. I really want those in my guitar, but is the trembucker the size I need cuz it's not a tremelo bridge its a fixed bridge or is it still fender "F" sizing?? And how is their sound compared to the antiquity? I have seen antiquity hums in telecasters before, but I'm confused??
Scott

"F" size poles vs standard

Can I put a pair of antiquity humbuckers in my 72 RI tele custom deluxe or will the poles not match up?? I read that there is a "F" sizing for fender guitars and that the standard PAF Gibson sizing does not match up the string correctly over the poles. I really want those in my guitar, but is the trembucker the size I need cuz it's not a tremelo bridge its a fixed bridge or is it still fender "F" sizing?? And how is their sound compared to the antiquity? I have seen antiquity hums in telecasters before, but I'm confused??
Scott

ksmith1

Pickup covers

I am new so I am sorry if this is not posted in ther right area. Just wandering if it is possible to put pickup covers on a les paul classic antique? the guitar has uncovered pickups on it now and I like the way covered ones look. Will it affect the sound quality. Any help is appreiciated. Thank you

Pickup covers

I am new so I am sorry if this is not posted in ther right area. Just wandering if it is possible to put pickup covers on a les paul classic antique? the guitar has uncovered pickups on it now and I like the way covered ones look. Will it affect the sound quality. Any help is appreiciated. Thank you

PonyOne

pHj33r my v1r1l17y

Yep.

You buy them, take your strings off, and put them on over the pickups - they slide on. Make sure that the holes go over the screw magnets so those poke through.

Yep.

You buy them, take your strings off, and put them on over the pickups - they slide on. Make sure that the holes go over the screw magnets so those poke through.

ksmith1

Thank you bunches. Will they affect sound quality? Thank you.

Thank you bunches. Will they affect sound quality? Thank you.

weirdfish0507

I'm also curious to find an answer to ScottySLO's question about putting non-Fender humbuckers in a Tele. I myself would like to build a 72 Deluxe Tele replica from Warmoth with Seymour Duncans and a Strat-style hardtail bridge. Do I need to get the trembucker mod to get the proper pole spacing?

P.S. This guide was really informative. Thanks!

I'm also curious to find an answer to ScottySLO's question about putting non-Fender humbuckers in a Tele. I myself would like to build a 72 Deluxe Tele replica from Warmoth with Seymour Duncans and a Strat-style hardtail bridge. Do I need to get the trembucker mod to get the proper pole spacing?

P.S. This guide was really informative. Thanks!

Geoff.T.

I was about to post a topic asking how to fit my D'Marzio super distortion pickups to my BC rich Warlock. Although the answer was obvious, this thread just gave me the confidence to start cutting the BC Rich humbuckers out. I just hope the wires are all the same colour. Now I can put the bc Rich ones into a cheapy Les Paul copy I have, but I need to lower the action, do I need to shave the frets to avoid that annoying fret buzz that comes with cheap guitars?

I was about to post a topic asking how to fit my D'Marzio super distortion pickups to my BC rich Warlock. Although the answer was obvious, this thread just gave me the confidence to start cutting the BC Rich humbuckers out. I just hope the wires are all the same colour. Now I can put the bc Rich ones into a cheapy Les Paul copy I have, but I need to lower the action, do I need to shave the frets to avoid that annoying fret buzz that comes with cheap guitars?

RickBlacker

Full Access

Originally Posted by: Geoff.T.
but I need to lower the action, do I need to shave the frets to avoid that annoying fret buzz that comes with cheap guitars?

I would try not to. Also, I would not say that cheap guitars is the only guitar that causes fret buzz. If you lower your action too much, the strings are going to buzz. Also, you can check the contour of the neck. Before filing down your frets, check your neck.

Cheap guitars can be setup to be very nice playing guitars. I have a Kramer Striker I just bought. Out of the box, it wasn't bad, but spending some time setting things up on it has resulted in an awesome playing guitar.
Ricks Current Mystery Video - Updated Monday March/02/2015

Originally Posted by: Geoff.T.
but I need to lower the action, do I need to shave the frets to avoid that annoying fret buzz that comes with cheap guitars?

I would try not to. Also, I would not say that cheap guitars is the only guitar that causes fret buzz. If you lower your action too much, the strings are going to buzz. Also, you can check the contour of the neck. Before filing down your frets, check your neck.

Cheap guitars can be setup to be very nice playing guitars. I have a Kramer Striker I just bought. Out of the box, it wasn't bad, but spending some time setting things up on it has resulted in an awesome playing guitar.
Ricks Current Mystery Video - Updated Monday March/02/2015