The led zeppelin method to world domination

Guitar Tricks Forum > Newsletter Articles > The led zeppelin method to world domination

Guy02

Well done

Without question, LZ was a band with no equals. I believe the reason they worked so well together is that these 4 guys came together at a time in history where rock was still developing as a child growing up. With a background of R&B and a spirit to grow together, these guys came together with abilities which complimented each other. They were masters of their strengths and we the fans witnessed it all. When John passed away, it was like loosing one wheel from a 58' Cadillac. Certainly you can get another wheel, but it's not the original and understandably, it wouldn't feel the same. Thank you for this step back in time.

Well done

Without question, LZ was a band with no equals. I believe the reason they worked so well together is that these 4 guys came together at a time in history where rock was still developing as a child growing up. With a background of R&B and a spirit to grow together, these guys came together with abilities which complimented each other. They were masters of their strengths and we the fans witnessed it all. When John passed away, it was like loosing one wheel from a 58' Cadillac. Certainly you can get another wheel, but it's not the original and understandably, it wouldn't feel the same. Thank you for this step back in time.

haghj500

I just gave this a second read and enjoyed it more than the first time; I saw things on this read I kind of missed the first time. Must have been thinking about something else you said in a paragraph before. You packed Sooo much great information in here; it just can’t all be absorbed in one read.

I was born in1961 and I remember listening to AM stations and my older brothers friends coming over talking about FM and how will change everything and kill AM stations. But I continued to listen to the same 2 AM stations.

Then one year for Christmas my brother got a new 8trk player and some tapes of course. It must have been December 26, my brother pulls out his new 8trk player plugs in a tape of a band that was new to me. Then “Black Dog” started playing. Hey Hey momma like the way you move gona make you sweat gona make you grove, then the band came in behind that and played like I had never heard before.

I remember just standing there staring at that black box with that sound coming out of it. I didn’t move till the song was over. Then of course I wanted to hear it again, but you can’t rewind an 8trk so I had to sit through the rest of the tape to hear it again.

There was other great music on the tape, but nothing quite like that guy Yell/Singing by himself, then the band jumping in to ROCK IT. That was the day I meant Led Zeppelin. 45 odd years later I can still remember the moment of jaw dropping amazement as though it just happened.

I just gave this a second read and enjoyed it more than the first time; I saw things on this read I kind of missed the first time. Must have been thinking about something else you said in a paragraph before. You packed Sooo much great information in here; it just can’t all be absorbed in one read.

I was born in1961 and I remember listening to AM stations and my older brothers friends coming over talking about FM and how will change everything and kill AM stations. But I continued to listen to the same 2 AM stations.

Then one year for Christmas my brother got a new 8trk player and some tapes of course. It must have been December 26, my brother pulls out his new 8trk player plugs in a tape of a band that was new to me. Then “Black Dog” started playing. Hey Hey momma like the way you move gona make you sweat gona make you grove, then the band came in behind that and played like I had never heard before.

I remember just standing there staring at that black box with that sound coming out of it. I didn’t move till the song was over. Then of course I wanted to hear it again, but you can’t rewind an 8trk so I had to sit through the rest of the tape to hear it again.

There was other great music on the tape, but nothing quite like that guy Yell/Singing by himself, then the band jumping in to ROCK IT. That was the day I meant Led Zeppelin. 45 odd years later I can still remember the moment of jaw dropping amazement as though it just happened.

wildwoman1313

Full Access

I enjoyed reading your insight into what made Zeppelin the best band on the planet, Guy02. We were very fortunate to have grown up with them. Who could've guessed back then that in the four-plus decades that would follow, no one would top the Mighty Zep. Thanks for your comment, Guy02.

Hey, haghj500! Glad to hear you got even more info from the re-read. Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed your little anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

I enjoyed reading your insight into what made Zeppelin the best band on the planet, Guy02. We were very fortunate to have grown up with them. Who could've guessed back then that in the four-plus decades that would follow, no one would top the Mighty Zep. Thanks for your comment, Guy02.

Hey, haghj500! Glad to hear you got even more info from the re-read. Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed your little anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

PeterNY

Full Access

Yes, it was lightning in a bottle - uncorked!

I remember back in early '69 when the Zep opened for Iron Butterfly. Poor Iron Butterfly! Their opening act blew the house down with two encores. I stayed for the entire show, but half the room was empty at the end of both the show and Iron Butterfly.

Led Zeppelin came back to NYC that August. This time Buddy Guy and Junior Wells opened for them for two shows at Flushing Meadows. This was a more even playing field, as both bands came to play. It was festival seating at the NYS Pavilion of the former Worlds Fair. We were all crunched elbow to elbow in violation of any sane fire code, but the two evenings became pure magic.

BTW, I saw Buddy Guy perform at BB Kings this past June, and at age 76, the man still has it all—chops, throat, stage presence and an insane sense of humor.

Yes, it was lightning in a bottle - uncorked!

I remember back in early '69 when the Zep opened for Iron Butterfly. Poor Iron Butterfly! Their opening act blew the house down with two encores. I stayed for the entire show, but half the room was empty at the end of both the show and Iron Butterfly.

Led Zeppelin came back to NYC that August. This time Buddy Guy and Junior Wells opened for them for two shows at Flushing Meadows. This was a more even playing field, as both bands came to play. It was festival seating at the NYS Pavilion of the former Worlds Fair. We were all crunched elbow to elbow in violation of any sane fire code, but the two evenings became pure magic.

BTW, I saw Buddy Guy perform at BB Kings this past June, and at age 76, the man still has it all—chops, throat, stage presence and an insane sense of humor.

wildwoman1313

Full Access

You're a lucky man to have seen Zep when they were on the cusp of greatness, Peter. I enjoyed reading about your memories of seeing the band. Takes me back to good times. Thanks for sharing. :)

You're a lucky man to have seen Zep when they were on the cusp of greatness, Peter. I enjoyed reading about your memories of seeing the band. Takes me back to good times. Thanks for sharing. :)

Slipin Lizard

Originally Posted by: wildwoman1313
Who could've guessed back then that in the four-plus decades that would follow, no one would top the Mighty Zep.

Well, according to Wikipedia, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson and Madonna all did. ;)

Who could've guessed back then that in the four-plus decades that would follow, no one would top the Mighty Zep.

Well, according to Wikipedia, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson and Madonna all did. ;)

wildwoman1313

Full Access

Different genres, Slipin Lizard. We're talking hard rock here. ;)

Slipin Lizard

You said "no one", not specifically "hard rock bands"... And are you just talking album sales? Because then you'd also have to look at the fact that Led Zep has been around for a lot longer than many other bands, so is it really fair to say "no one" can top them if some bands have only been around for half the time or less? Regardless, I've never understood the need to say that one band is "the best band on the planet"... there are so many great bands out there, we all have our favorites. Claiming that one band is the "best" over all others is something that really can't be proven, so I don't really see the point of making that claim.

You said "no one", not specifically "hard rock bands"... And are you just talking album sales? Because then you'd also have to look at the fact that Led Zep has been around for a lot longer than many other bands, so is it really fair to say "no one" can top them if some bands have only been around for half the time or less? Regardless, I've never understood the need to say that one band is "the best band on the planet"... there are so many great bands out there, we all have our favorites. Claiming that one band is the "best" over all others is something that really can't be proven, so I don't really see the point of making that claim.

wildwoman1313

Full Access

Hey, Slipin Lizard! You're right, I did say "no one." But since we were talking about Led Zeppelin specifically and not music in general, I didn't think it necessary to clarify with "hard rock bands." Sorry for any confusion.

Yes, it's true. We all have our favorite bands, just as we each have our own unique opinions. It's cool if you don't agree with my assessment of Zep, but for the record, I'm not alone in it. Everyone from Rolling Stone to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame name Zeppelin as the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time. According to Wikipedia, "Led Zeppelin are widely considered one of the most successful, innovative and influential rock groups in history." And no, I'm not talking album sales at all, although there is that. (Zeppelin have sold over 300 million albums worldwide and are the only band in history to have every one of their 9 studio albums reach the US Billboard Top 10, with 6 of them hitting the top spot.) Zeppelin were the pioneers of heavy metal. Rock 'n' roll wouldn't be what it is today without them. Countless groups and musicians cite them as a major influence.

Led Zeppelin were gigantic in their day, and for many of us, they remain so. There's a reason why a reported 20 million people applied to win 18,000 tickets to the band's O2 performance in 2007. There's a reason why they've been offered hundreds of millions of dollars to reunite for one last tour, and why many fans, myself included, wouldn't hesitate a lick to fly across the globe for the chance to be in their presence one last time.

Zeppelin are not everyone's cup of tea, Slipin Lizard, and I don't make a habit of claiming any one band is the best this or that, but in my humble opinion, it's hard to dispute the significant contributions that Led Zeppelin have made to music. I look for the next band to come down the pike who will make such an impact. It would be thrilling to be part of something so immense and exciting in music again.

Your comment seems to have gone missing, Axeman81, but as for my "hotly criticizing" Kurt Cobain, you must have me confused with some other writer. I have never criticized, nor would I ever criticize, Kurt. I happen to be a huge fan. I even made the pilgrimage to his home in Seattle and carved my name into the bench in Viretta Park. I wrote on Cobain once in an article for GT entitled Four Guitarists Who Changed Music Forever. I purposely named Kurt to this list because, although he didn't play to the level the other three guitarists on the list did, Cobain managed to make an enormous impact on music with a fairly rudimentary knowledge of the guitar. No, I've never knocked Kurt for anything. Au contraire. Besides, it's not my style to criticize. ;)

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Hey, Slipin Lizard! You're right, I did say "no one." But since we were talking about Led Zeppelin specifically and not music in general, I didn't think it necessary to clarify with "hard rock bands." Sorry for any confusion.

Yes, it's true. We all have our favorite bands, just as we each have our own unique opinions. It's cool if you don't agree with my assessment of Zep, but for the record, I'm not alone in it. Everyone from Rolling Stone to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame name Zeppelin as the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time. According to Wikipedia, "Led Zeppelin are widely considered one of the most successful, innovative and influential rock groups in history." And no, I'm not talking album sales at all, although there is that. (Zeppelin have sold over 300 million albums worldwide and are the only band in history to have every one of their 9 studio albums reach the US Billboard Top 10, with 6 of them hitting the top spot.) Zeppelin were the pioneers of heavy metal. Rock 'n' roll wouldn't be what it is today without them. Countless groups and musicians cite them as a major influence.

Led Zeppelin were gigantic in their day, and for many of us, they remain so. There's a reason why a reported 20 million people applied to win 18,000 tickets to the band's O2 performance in 2007. There's a reason why they've been offered hundreds of millions of dollars to reunite for one last tour, and why many fans, myself included, wouldn't hesitate a lick to fly across the globe for the chance to be in their presence one last time.

Zeppelin are not everyone's cup of tea, Slipin Lizard, and I don't make a habit of claiming any one band is the best this or that, but in my humble opinion, it's hard to dispute the significant contributions that Led Zeppelin have made to music. I look for the next band to come down the pike who will make such an impact. It would be thrilling to be part of something so immense and exciting in music again.

Your comment seems to have gone missing, Axeman81, but as for my "hotly criticizing" Kurt Cobain, you must have me confused with some other writer. I have never criticized, nor would I ever criticize, Kurt. I happen to be a huge fan. I even made the pilgrimage to his home in Seattle and carved my name into the bench in Viretta Park. I wrote on Cobain once in an article for GT entitled Four Guitarists Who Changed Music Forever. I purposely named Kurt to this list because, although he didn't play to the level the other three guitarists on the list did, Cobain managed to make an enormous impact on music with a fairly rudimentary knowledge of the guitar. No, I've never knocked Kurt for anything. Au contraire. Besides, it's not my style to criticize. ;)

Thanks to both of you for your comments.