The Led Zeppelin Method to World Domination

wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
01/08/2013 6:24 pm

"We knew we were good. At our best, we thought we could be a match for any band on the planet. And at our worst, we were better than most of them."
John Paul Jones
Guitar World

In the summer of 1968, weary from years of touring and recording, seminal British blues-rock group the Yardbirds decided to call it quits following a final gig in Bedfordshire. Rights to the band's name, as well as a string of concert obligations, fell to their lead guitarist, Jimmy Page. Once one of Britain's most in-demand session guitarists, Page served the last incarnation of the Yardbirds after Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. He saw the breakup as an opportunity to put together the blues-based band of his dreams.

Touring with the Yardbirds and playing in underground clubs had given Jimmy the chance to glimpse a new rock scene developing in the States. FM radio stations had begun playing whole album sides, which affected sequencing and how one song flows into another. Jimmy's eyes were opened to the possibilities. What he envisioned for his group was a new heavy rock that was a combination of Fifties roots, folk and psychedelia, and that was charged with hypnotic guitar riffs. He wanted to aim for the album market, eschewing the singles-oriented AM radio. Jimmy Page wanted to put together an influential group. In the process, he built the mother of all bands.

Page enlisted bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones, who had done session work with acts like the Rolling Stones and Herman's Hermits. He and Jones first met and discussed forming a group when both were hired to back Donovan on his album The Hurdy Gurdy Man. Jimmy had hoped to complete the lineup with drummer B.J. Wilson of Procol Harum ("A Whiter Shade Of Pale") and singer Terry Reid, but neither was available at the time. At Reid's recommendation, he traveled to Birmingham to scout a then-unknown 19-year-old singer named Robert Plant. When Plant agreed to come on board, he in turn suggested Jimmy take a listen to John Bonham, drummer for Plant's old Birmingham group, Band of Joy.

When Page, Plant, Jones, and Bonham came together, they captured lightning in a bottle. All four band members use the word "magic" when recalling their first rehearsal in a basement in Chinatown, London, in August 1968. "I've never been so turned on in my life," Plant told Rolling Stone in 1975. "Although we were all steeped in blues and R&B, we found out in the first hour and a half that we had our own identity."

Billed as the "New Yardbirds," the newly formed band fulfilled the Yardbirds' contractual obligations in Scandinavia before heading back to England to begin work on their first album together. In a matter of months, they would morph into Led Zeppelin and set out on their quest to be the biggest, baddest, best band on the planet.

During their 12-year reign, Zeppelin released nine albums, sold an estimated 300 million units worldwide, shattered concert attendance records, and scored the third best-selling album in US history for Led Zeppelin IV (a.k.a. Zoso or Runes). Whatever alchemy went into creating them, there were a few key principles that Zeppelin adhered to from the get-go that played a role in their phenomenal success. Letā€™s take a look how they did it, and what you can learn from their example.

"YOUR TIME IS GONNA COME" (Fake It Till You Make It)

We are accustomed to seeing Zeppelin as the rock 'n' roll beasts they were in the '70s, but the band didnā€™t arrive on the scene as fully-formed musical giants. It took guts as well as talent to achieve what they did. Check out Zeppelin playing a gig in March 1969, eight months into their career. Listen to the sound of a band attempting something on a vast scale. See the inklings of what was to come in their stage presence.

Robert Plant was barely out of his teens when he accepted the position of Zeppelin frontman, but that didn't stop him from being a god onstage. In a radio interview, Plant made a revealing comment about his transformation from talented singer to rock legend. In 1969 Zeppelin supported the band Vanilla Fudge. Watching the Fudge perform, Plant says he realized that compared to them he had a great big "excuse me" written across his face. To become a top performer, he had to strut his stuff with confidence and make fans believe he was already rock's golden god.

To excel at anything, you must first believe you can.

"FOUR STICKS" (Dead Weight)

There are many top-notch bands with a superstar or two who are the main source of creative output, while other members may seem as replaceable as parts on a bicycle. In many bands talent is not distributed all that evenly.

Led Zeppelin were different. Like table legs, the four band members bore the creative load equally. Each contributed to the group's songwriting. Plant, with his compelling voice and flowing locks, was the archetypal frontman, while the phrase "guitar god" seemed tailor-made for Jimmy Page. John Bonham was a larger-than-life character whose drumming was a distinct part of the Led Zeppelin sound. Just as vital to the success of the group was John Paul Jones' contribution on bass, keyboards and mandolin, not to mention his imaginative approach to songwriting and arrangement.

Be mindful of weak links, and yes, that includes you. Everyone should pull their weight. Take a good look at what skills remain undeveloped in you and work hard on them before you look to others.

"NO QUARTER" (Stand Up for Yourself, Dammit!)

Led Zeppelin took an uncompromising attitude to every aspect of their work, including the business side of things. Their manager, Peter Grant, was almost as legendary as the band itself. In 1968 he secured a $200,000 signing fee from Atlantic Records. It was the most lucrative signing fee that had ever been paid for a new band. The terms of the contract also gave the band control over the contents, design, and release schedule of all their albums, as well as their touring schedule. Grant is reputed to have ensured that the band received a staggering 90% of the takings from their concert tickets.

Peter Grant also enforced the band's strict no-singles policy in the face of enormous pressure to cash in on Zeppelin's popularity. Zeppelinā€™s reputation as an albums band helped to boost their respect among serious rock fans who looked down their noses at the pop charts.

Bear in mind that Zeppelin were operating in an environment where recording artists were routinely exploited by the powers that be in the music industry, so their ability to stand up and fight for what they believed in was one of the things that made them remarkable and added to their mystique.

Donā€™t sell yourself short by undercharging or accepting less than you deserve because you donā€™t want to appear "difficult." Speak up for yourself. Remember it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

"THANK YOU" (Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery)

Artists "borrow" from one another. It's common knowledge that Led Zeppelin were heavily influenced by blues legends such as Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, and Robert Johnson. They were also strongly affected by mystical English folk-rock, Middle Eastern-influenced exotica, quirky pop and every manner of heaviness. The band drew on a wide variety of genres, including world music and elements of early rock 'n' roll, jazz, country, funk, soul, and reggae, particularly on Houses of the Holy and the albums that followed. That Zeppelin piggybacked to fame on the shoulders of the blues legends, as some attest, is far too simplistic.

According to blues expert Robert Palmer, "It is the custom, in blues music, for a singer to borrow verses from contemporary sources, both oral and recorded, add his own tune and/or arrangement, and call the song his own." Whether or not Zeppelin took too many liberties with their source material was debated in court on more than one occasion, but it helps to remember that very few artists create in a void. We are all inspired by one another.

Donā€™t be afraid to be influenced by your heroes. But if you intend to borrow from them, be sure you get the gist of what it is they're trying to say or do and then filter that idea through the lens of your own unique creativity. In other words, put your stamp on the material. And be very generous in acknowledging your influences. Robert Plant gives kudos all the time. And I owe a debt of gratitude to Creative Business Coach Mark McGuinness for inspiring this piece.

"THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME"ā€”Not. (Matters of Creative Integrity)

After the success of Led Zeppelin I and II, the group were expected to deliver a third album that was equally as hard rocking. No one, especially industry execs, could imagine the band would retire to a remote cottage in Wales and record an acoustic-flavored album instead. But that's exactly what Zeppelin did.

The key to Zeppelin's longevity has always been change. They were not at all interested in churning out the same old thing. As Jimmy Page tells Guitar World, "We put out our first LP; then a second one that was nothing like the first, then a third LP totally different from them, and on it wentā€¦a lot of reviewers couldn't understand why we put out an LP like Zeppelin II, then followed it up with III with 'That's the Way' and acoustic numbers like that on it. The fact was that Robert and I had gone away to Bron-Y-Aur cottage in Wales and started writing songs. That was the material we had, so we used it. It was nothing like, 'We got to do some heavy rock & roll because that's what our image demands.'"

The band's third album was more of a shift of emphasis than a complete change of direction. To many, it was one of Zep's best efforts, despite the panning by critics.

Don't follow the crowd, lead them. Don't bend to trends and expectations, create them. Don't compromise your creativity to appease others. Be yourself. Trust your instincts. Follow the muse where she leads. Go out on a creative limb. Your originality may just surprise you.

"NOBODY'S FAULT BUT MINE" (Take Risks)

Zeppelinā€™s over-the-top approach made them an easy target for critics and comics. Self-indulgent solos, fantasy sequences of a lightsaber-wielding dwarf and a mob rubout, the Hobbit references. Even Robert Plant has said that if he could have a do-over, heā€™d probably reconsider writing lyrics about "the darkest depths of Mordor" and "Gollum and the evil one." But fans loved it.

Too many bands play it safe to avoid criticism. Too many reign in their enthusiasm and imagination for fear of looking silly. There are plenty of bands who choose to play it safe, but you and I have never heard of most of them. Zeppelin were fearless. Jimmy Page once said that the band's motto was "Ever onward." Lightsabers for everyone!

Remember, creativity invites criticism. To be an artist requires thick skin. Whatever you do, somebody, somewhere, will have a go at you. Ask yourself what's the worst that can happen. Then ask what's the best.

Since their breakup over three decades ago with the untimely death of John Bonham in 1980, Page, Plant and Jones have occasionally reconnected at events like the Live Aid benefit concert in Philadelphia in 1985 and the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary Show in 1988. Neither of those shows, however, served the band's legacy well.

But on December 10, 2007, the surviving members of Zeppelin took the stage at London's O2 Arena to headline a tribute concert for dear friend and Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. Eighteen thousand lucky fans were in attendance that night, having secured seats through a worldwide lottery of some 20 million who applied for tickets. What followed was a two-hour-plus tour de force that instantly became part of the legend of Led Zeppelin. John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, and Robert Plant were joined by Jason Bonham, son of their late drummer John Bonham, to perform 16 songs from the band's storied catalog, including landmark tracks "Whole Lotta Love," "Rock and Roll," "Kashmir," and "Stairway to Heaven."

Band members have been plagued by rumors of a reunion tour since the O2 show. Although many are frustrated that Robert Plant continues to put the kibosh on what would be a dream reunion, he may be right that recreating a performance of the calibre of the London show, night after night, may be more than he or his bandmates are up for at this point. Five years have already passed since that concert. With band members now pushing 70, they seem to be content to let Celebration Day serve as a reminder of how things were before they had to be different, and to let the performance stand as a testament that Led Zeppelinā€”both in their heyday and for that one magnificent night in Londonā€”ruled the world.
# 1
david.o
Full Access
david.o
Full Access
01/11/2013 2:40 pm
excellent writing
# 2
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
01/11/2013 2:59 pm
Thanks, David. Appreciate.
# 3
PeterNY
Full Access
PeterNY
Full Access
01/11/2013 8:03 pm
Even though they didn't take the stage at the Kennedy Center Gala this past December, it was great seeing the band receive the highest honor which performing artists can receive in the USA. After President Obama had presented them with their medals at the White House, the band was introduced to the Kennedy Center audience by Jack Black, who in gonzo fashion introduced them as the greatest rock and roll band of all time. "Forget the Beatles; forget the Stones; you can even forget Tenacious D. Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock and roll band of all time."

You'll get no argument from me Jack.
# 4
gypsyblues73
Full Access
gypsyblues73
Full Access
01/11/2013 11:28 pm
Awesome article! I love the way, instead of a straight-forward short "bio" of a band, you went with the theme of breaking it down into "pointers". Very cool, insightful, and inspiring!
# 5
LIMEY1
LIMEY1
01/12/2013 3:24 am
You wrote a a beautiful article on prehaps the best rock and roll band in our life time, again you brought back many happy memories for me personally and you raised the bar even higher, Zep would be proud of this article, Thank You Wildwoman.
# 6
suckerfish
suckerfish
01/12/2013 3:34 pm
reminding why I picked the guitar 20 years ago
# 7
darkfrett
darkfrett
01/12/2013 4:26 pm
I read the article and followed the links. This took an hour or more of one of the best Led Zep Experiences a person can have. The article and the videos took me back and kept me in the present at the same time. It brought the whole to a full circle. Thank your for this article and the links. Need more. : )
# 8
haghj500
haghj500
01/12/2013 5:21 pm
You know this is a great site and so much can be learned, but after reading a few of our articals, I'll pay the yearly fee just to be able to read the insightful articals you wright. ...........Thank you
# 9
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
01/12/2013 11:13 pm
The Kennedy Center Gala was awesome, Peter. Did you see Plant tearing up?

Thanks for the kind words gypsyblues73, LIMEY1, suckerfish, darkfrett, and haghj500. I'm so glad you liked. As for the links, darkfrett, it's pretty cool to see one of Zep's earliest performances bookended with what may very well be their last (although I'm holding out for a reunion). Thanks for taking the time to check them out.
# 10
Guy02
Guy02
08/03/2013 1:53 pm
Without question, LZ was a band with no equals. I believe the reason they worked so well together is that these 4 guys came together at a time in history where rock was still developing as a child growing up. With a background of R&B and a spirit to grow together, these guys came together with abilities which complimented each other. They were masters of their strengths and we the fans witnessed it all. When John passed away, it was like loosing one wheel from a 58' Cadillac. Certainly you can get another wheel, but it's not the original and understandably, it wouldn't feel the same. Thank you for this step back in time.
# 11
haghj500
haghj500
08/03/2013 4:38 pm
I just gave this a second read and enjoyed it more than the first time; I saw things on this read I kind of missed the first time. Must have been thinking about something else you said in a paragraph before. You packed Sooo much great information in here; it just canā€™t all be absorbed in one read.

I was born in1961 and I remember listening to AM stations and my older brothers friends coming over talking about FM and how will change everything and kill AM stations. But I continued to listen to the same 2 AM stations.

Then one year for Christmas my brother got a new 8trk player and some tapes of course. It must have been December 26, my brother pulls out his new 8trk player plugs in a tape of a band that was new to me. Then ā€œBlack Dogā€ started playing. Hey Hey momma like the way you move gona make you sweat gona make you grove, then the band came in behind that and played like I had never heard before.

I remember just standing there staring at that black box with that sound coming out of it. I didnā€™t move till the song was over. Then of course I wanted to hear it again, but you canā€™t rewind an 8trk so I had to sit through the rest of the tape to hear it again.

There was other great music on the tape, but nothing quite like that guy Yell/Singing by himself, then the band jumping in to ROCK IT. That was the day I meant Led Zeppelin. 45 odd years later I can still remember the moment of jaw dropping amazement as though it just happened.
# 12
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
08/04/2013 12:37 pm
I enjoyed reading your insight into what made Zeppelin the best band on the planet, Guy02. We were very fortunate to have grown up with them. Who could've guessed back then that in the four-plus decades that would follow, no one would top the Mighty Zep. Thanks for your comment, Guy02.

Hey, haghj500! Glad to hear you got even more info from the re-read. Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed your little anecdote. Thanks for sharing.
# 13
PeterNY
Full Access
PeterNY
Full Access
08/04/2013 4:37 pm
I remember back in early '69 when the Zep opened for Iron Butterfly. Poor Iron Butterfly! Their opening act blew the house down with two encores. I stayed for the entire show, but half the room was empty at the end of both the show and Iron Butterfly.

Led Zeppelin came back to NYC that August. This time Buddy Guy and Junior Wells opened for them for two shows at Flushing Meadows. This was a more even playing field, as both bands came to play. It was festival seating at the NYS Pavilion of the former Worlds Fair. We were all crunched elbow to elbow in violation of any sane fire code, but the two evenings became pure magic.

BTW, I saw Buddy Guy perform at BB Kings this past June, and at age 76, the man still has it allā€”chops, throat, stage presence and an insane sense of humor.
# 14
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
08/13/2013 3:27 pm
You're a lucky man to have seen Zep when they were on the cusp of greatness, Peter. I enjoyed reading about your memories of seeing the band. Takes me back to good times. Thanks for sharing. :)
# 15
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
08/15/2013 3:26 am
Originally Posted by: wildwoman1313Who could've guessed back then that in the four-plus decades that would follow, no one would top the Mighty Zep.

Well, according to Wikipedia, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson and Madonna all did. ;)
# 16
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
08/15/2013 9:15 pm
Different genres, Slipin Lizard. We're talking hard rock here. ;)
# 17
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
08/16/2013 6:13 am
Originally Posted by: wildwoman1313Different genres, Slipin Lizard. We're talking hard rock here. ;)

You said "no one", not specifically "hard rock bands"... And are you just talking album sales? Because then you'd also have to look at the fact that Led Zep has been around for a lot longer than many other bands, so is it really fair to say "no one" can top them if some bands have only been around for half the time or less? Regardless, I've never understood the need to say that one band is "the best band on the planet"... there are so many great bands out there, we all have our favorites. Claiming that one band is the "best" over all others is something that really can't be proven, so I don't really see the point of making that claim.
# 18
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
08/18/2013 2:00 pm
Originally Posted by: wildwoman1313Different genres, Slipin Lizard. We're talking hard rock here. ;)
And yet, you've criticised Kurt Cobain hotly in one of your previous threads - music is music! Especially the King (elvis, not MJ lol!!)

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 19
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
08/29/2013 1:23 am
Hey, Slipin Lizard! You're right, I did say "no one." But since we were talking about Led Zeppelin specifically and not music in general, I didn't think it necessary to clarify with "hard rock bands." Sorry for any confusion.

Yes, it's true. We all have our favorite bands, just as we each have our own unique opinions. It's cool if you don't agree with my assessment of Zep, but for the record, I'm not alone in it. Everyone from Rolling Stone to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame name Zeppelin as the greatest rock 'n' roll band of all time. According to Wikipedia, "Led Zeppelin are widely considered one of the most successful, innovative and influential rock groups in history." And no, I'm not talking album sales at all, although there is that. (Zeppelin have sold over 300 million albums worldwide and are the only band in history to have every one of their 9 studio albums reach the US Billboard Top 10, with 6 of them hitting the top spot.) Zeppelin were the pioneers of heavy metal. Rock 'n' roll wouldn't be what it is today without them. Countless groups and musicians cite them as a major influence.

Led Zeppelin were gigantic in their day, and for many of us, they remain so. There's a reason why a reported 20 million people applied to win 18,000 tickets to the band's O2 performance in 2007. There's a reason why they've been offered hundreds of millions of dollars to reunite for one last tour, and why many fans, myself included, wouldn't hesitate a lick to fly across the globe for the chance to be in their presence one last time.

Zeppelin are not everyone's cup of tea, Slipin Lizard, and I don't make a habit of claiming any one band is the best this or that, but in my humble opinion, it's hard to dispute the significant contributions that Led Zeppelin have made to music. I look for the next band to come down the pike who will make such an impact. It would be thrilling to be part of something so immense and exciting in music again.

Your comment seems to have gone missing, Axeman81, but as for my "hotly criticizing" Kurt Cobain, you must have me confused with some other writer. I have never criticized, nor would I ever criticize, Kurt. I happen to be a huge fan. I even made the pilgrimage to his home in Seattle and carved my name into the bench in Viretta Park. I wrote on Cobain once in an article for GT entitled Four Guitarists Who Changed Music Forever. I purposely named Kurt to this list because, although he didn't play to the level the other three guitarists on the list did, Cobain managed to make an enormous impact on music with a fairly rudimentary knowledge of the guitar. No, I've never knocked Kurt for anything. Au contraire. Besides, it's not my style to criticize. ;)

Thanks to both of you for your comments.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.