Six of music's most influential women guitarists

Guitar Tricks Forum > Newsletter Articles > Six of music's most influential women guitarists

nanselmus

Full Access

What about Wata

Wata from the Japanese band Boris is one of my favorite female guitarists.
I thought The Great Kat was absolutely horrible. From her stereotyped image to the classical covers, yuck. I love a lot of metal, but her version is what makes it a joke.
I do agree with your first four picks though.

What about Wata

Wata from the Japanese band Boris is one of my favorite female guitarists.
I thought The Great Kat was absolutely horrible. From her stereotyped image to the classical covers, yuck. I love a lot of metal, but her version is what makes it a joke.
I do agree with your first four picks though.

Darkrin

Jan Kuehnemund, of Vixen, she im sure influenced a lot of girls to play back in the day

Jan Kuehnemund, of Vixen, she im sure influenced a lot of girls to play back in the day

wildwoman1313

Full Access

Thanks for suggesting Wata, nanselmus. For anyone who's interested, here's a link. Give her a listen.

As for Kat, her image is intentionally exaggerated, meant to be kind of tongue-in-cheek. But I get what you're saying. I'm also a fan of metal. Kat's pretty hardcore. You have to give it to her though—the girl can play.

Hey, Darkrin! No doubt Jan Kuehnemund and Vixen inspired their share of girls to take up the guitar—and grow some big hair! Check out Jan here. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks for suggesting Wata, nanselmus. For anyone who's interested, here's a link. Give her a listen.

As for Kat, her image is intentionally exaggerated, meant to be kind of tongue-in-cheek. But I get what you're saying. I'm also a fan of metal. Kat's pretty hardcore. You have to give it to her though—the girl can play.

Hey, Darkrin! No doubt Jan Kuehnemund and Vixen inspired their share of girls to take up the guitar—and grow some big hair! Check out Jan here. Thanks for your comment.

PeterNY

Full Access

Ana Vidovic

I know classical music gets background status on this site, but if you want to check out a lady with mind blowing chops, visit Ana Vidovic on YouTube. She hass won ALL the top competitions in Europe. If the names Julian Bream, John Williams and Andre Segovia mean anything to you, she is their heir apparent.

I look forward to her recital next month in NYC.

Ana Vidovic

I know classical music gets background status on this site, but if you want to check out a lady with mind blowing chops, visit Ana Vidovic on YouTube. She hass won ALL the top competitions in Europe. If the names Julian Bream, John Williams and Andre Segovia mean anything to you, she is their heir apparent.

I look forward to her recital next month in NYC.

haghj500

Dream Boat Anne, Little Queen, Dog and the Butterfly, Barracuda, ……

I remember where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard the Dream Boat Anne album, just as clearly as I remember where is was and what I was doing the first time I head Black Dog by Zeppelin. I do not remember how many times I sat and listened to it over and over. I own a copy of every album they ever put out. I have spent hours and hours of my life listening to her.

Yet, I don’t think I’ve ever listed Nancy’s name as one of my favorite guitar players. Your article really slapped me in the head as that dawned on me as I read. I have searched for and listened to other woman players, just to hear the different style they may play. I think it is cool how a lot of the best are listed in this thread. Now I have names to go search for.

Dream Boat Anne, Little Queen, Dog and the Butterfly, Barracuda, ……

I remember where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard the Dream Boat Anne album, just as clearly as I remember where is was and what I was doing the first time I head Black Dog by Zeppelin. I do not remember how many times I sat and listened to it over and over. I own a copy of every album they ever put out. I have spent hours and hours of my life listening to her.

Yet, I don’t think I’ve ever listed Nancy’s name as one of my favorite guitar players. Your article really slapped me in the head as that dawned on me as I read. I have searched for and listened to other woman players, just to hear the different style they may play. I think it is cool how a lot of the best are listed in this thread. Now I have names to go search for.

wildwoman1313

Full Access

Ana plays beautifully! Thanks for bringing classical to the table, Peter. Here’s a clip of Ana performing for fellow readers to check out. Enjoy the recital next month. ;)

I think it's a knee-jerk reaction for many of us to choose a male whenever the subject of inspiring guitarists comes up, while equally talented females are typically an afterthought, at best. Glad you're exploring some of the ladies whose names are coming up here, haghj500. Thanks for your comments.

Ana plays beautifully! Thanks for bringing classical to the table, Peter. Here’s a clip of Ana performing for fellow readers to check out. Enjoy the recital next month. ;)

I think it's a knee-jerk reaction for many of us to choose a male whenever the subject of inspiring guitarists comes up, while equally talented females are typically an afterthought, at best. Glad you're exploring some of the ladies whose names are coming up here, haghj500. Thanks for your comments.

Jerry Dylan

I think Emily Remler should be on that list. She's an absolutely amazing female jazz guitarist.

I think Emily Remler should be on that list. She's an absolutely amazing female jazz guitarist.

wildwoman1313

Full Access

Thanks for tossing Emily's name into the ring, Jerry. She has quite an interesting life story. Here's Emily playing "Blues for Herb."

Thanks for tossing Emily's name into the ring, Jerry. She has quite an interesting life story. Here's Emily playing "Blues for Herb."

Blackhearts

Full Access

Joan Jett for sure! 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

Joan Jett for sure! 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

GuitarDude715

Full Access

Let's hear it for women bass players too - Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads (one example).

Other guitarists - Felicia Collins (Late Show with David Letterman), Orianthi, Jennifer Batten.

Let's hear it for women bass players too - Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads (one example).

Other guitarists - Felicia Collins (Late Show with David Letterman), Orianthi, Jennifer Batten.