Cheap vs. expensive guitars: four common misconceptions

Guitar Tricks Forum > Newsletter Articles > Cheap vs. expensive guitars: four common misconceptions

gypsyblues73

Full Access

All valid points, but especially cheap does not=bad. I have several $1000+ guitars, and the one guitar I regret not keeping the most was an Ibanez RG2EX2 (a Guitar Center "special", at that) that I bought for $140. That thing had some mojo to it!

All valid points, but especially cheap does not=bad. I have several $1000+ guitars, and the one guitar I regret not keeping the most was an Ibanez RG2EX2 (a Guitar Center "special", at that) that I bought for $140. That thing had some mojo to it!

SebastBerg

Full Access

I just bought a brand new Godin Redline 3 weeks ago for 500$, including a case.
They usually sell for 650$/700$ so its a good deal. Its a bit more expensive then what we would call "cheap" guitar but it rivals with guitars twice that price easily.

I also have an accoustic guitar from the same company that I got for 350$ a while back and it killed most of the 600$/700$ range guitar from big companies.
I love Godin.
- Seb
http://www.sebastienberger.com

I just bought a brand new Godin Redline 3 weeks ago for 500$, including a case.
They usually sell for 650$/700$ so its a good deal. Its a bit more expensive then what we would call "cheap" guitar but it rivals with guitars twice that price easily.

I also have an accoustic guitar from the same company that I got for 350$ a while back and it killed most of the 600$/700$ range guitar from big companies.
I love Godin.
- Seb
http://www.sebastienberger.com

Smurfe

There is cheap and there is inexpensive. Big difference in my opinion. I love inexpensive guitars. For example I will use a Telecaster. Fender has the Affinity Squire, Custom Vibe Squire, Made in Mexico Tele, American made Tele, Custom Shop Tele. I would gravitate toward the Custom Vibe or MIM models. The Affinity are cheap, the CV and MIM models are inexpensive. The CV is cheaper than the MIM, I have played around on quite a few of each, I lean toward the CV Tele as my next guitar purchase.

There is cheap and there is inexpensive. Big difference in my opinion. I love inexpensive guitars. For example I will use a Telecaster. Fender has the Affinity Squire, Custom Vibe Squire, Made in Mexico Tele, American made Tele, Custom Shop Tele. I would gravitate toward the Custom Vibe or MIM models. The Affinity are cheap, the CV and MIM models are inexpensive. The CV is cheaper than the MIM, I have played around on quite a few of each, I lean toward the CV Tele as my next guitar purchase.

Nomad2

Many years ago I had a yamaha fg180, sounded good & enjoyed playing it.
As far as I can remember it didn't cost much either. Finally sold it to a work mate who was over the moon with it. Now have a Fender acoustic. As has been mentioned, I sought advise from the shop owner & having looked at a few, went for the above. A good place to start I think was the comment.
The point is, it would be a very expensive mistake to pay a lot of money then have the guitar sit in the corner unused & unloved.
Many thanks again Wildwoman, another great piece.

Many years ago I had a yamaha fg180, sounded good & enjoyed playing it.
As far as I can remember it didn't cost much either. Finally sold it to a work mate who was over the moon with it. Now have a Fender acoustic. As has been mentioned, I sought advise from the shop owner & having looked at a few, went for the above. A good place to start I think was the comment.
The point is, it would be a very expensive mistake to pay a lot of money then have the guitar sit in the corner unused & unloved.
Many thanks again Wildwoman, another great piece.

wildwoman1313

Full Access

Thanks, Nomad2! Good point. There's nothing sadder than an unused, unloved guitar sitting lonely in the corner, no matter the cost. Ultimately, the goal is to find the guitar that's right for you. ;)

Thanks, Nomad2! Good point. There's nothing sadder than an unused, unloved guitar sitting lonely in the corner, no matter the cost. Ultimately, the goal is to find the guitar that's right for you. ;)

Nomad2

Buying a guitar.

I know there will be many groans about this, & yes I did go against the norm of going to a known dealer,(which I have done in the past). I have bought two guitars from Thomann's musikhaus, Treppendorf, in
Germany. First was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II HCS, with hard case.
It arrived within 7 days of placing the order, was very well packed & no damage.Minor retuning was required,but not a problem. The second, & it beats any uk price for purchase & delivery, was an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe Limited Edition with case,+ delivery within 7 days, for £245. My local dealer could only do the guitar for £300, the hard case being another £70+. Whilst I would still say check your local dealer first, do not be put off checking the various web sites for a good deal, maybe try to haggle, though it is not the way us brits usually do things.
Good luck & stick with it. Remember....practice,.. practice,..practice.

Buying a guitar.

I know there will be many groans about this, & yes I did go against the norm of going to a known dealer,(which I have done in the past). I have bought two guitars from Thomann's musikhaus, Treppendorf, in
Germany. First was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II HCS, with hard case.
It arrived within 7 days of placing the order, was very well packed & no damage.Minor retuning was required,but not a problem. The second, & it beats any uk price for purchase & delivery, was an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe Limited Edition with case,+ delivery within 7 days, for £245. My local dealer could only do the guitar for £300, the hard case being another £70+. Whilst I would still say check your local dealer first, do not be put off checking the various web sites for a good deal, maybe try to haggle, though it is not the way us brits usually do things.
Good luck & stick with it. Remember....practice,.. practice,..practice.

gypsyblues73

Full Access

Nothing beats going into a store and personally finding and laying hands on a great guitar...but with the advent of the internet, it does make it awful tempting to be able to get practically any guitar you want with just a few keystrokes (especially if dealers in your area are lacking in their stock). It's risky ordering a guitar that you've never played before, but the more experience you have with many different kinds of guitars, it's a bit less so, since you'll have knowledge of different pickups, woods, neck shapes, etc., so you should be able to have a general understanding of what a guitar will be like just from the specs. Still, sometimes some guitars will surprise you, for better or worse.

Nothing beats going into a store and personally finding and laying hands on a great guitar...but with the advent of the internet, it does make it awful tempting to be able to get practically any guitar you want with just a few keystrokes (especially if dealers in your area are lacking in their stock). It's risky ordering a guitar that you've never played before, but the more experience you have with many different kinds of guitars, it's a bit less so, since you'll have knowledge of different pickups, woods, neck shapes, etc., so you should be able to have a general understanding of what a guitar will be like just from the specs. Still, sometimes some guitars will surprise you, for better or worse.

Nomad2

Whilst I agree with you on the buying, hold it, feel it, try it, I have gone against that rule & gone on gut instinct. Don't really know why, but it seamed the right thing to do at the time.
I bought two guitars from Thomann Musikhaus, Treppendorf, in Germany.
Both have arrived very well packed with no damage, prices have been better than those given on the uk market. Very little re-tuning has been required, and very satisfied with the service given.

Whilst I agree with you on the buying, hold it, feel it, try it, I have gone against that rule & gone on gut instinct. Don't really know why, but it seamed the right thing to do at the time.
I bought two guitars from Thomann Musikhaus, Treppendorf, in Germany.
Both have arrived very well packed with no damage, prices have been better than those given on the uk market. Very little re-tuning has been required, and very satisfied with the service given.

gypsyblues73

Full Access

Yes, I have gone against that rule as well (even though I'm holding my breath every time), and everything turned out fine. Also, some places make a habit of detuning guitars that they ship, to keep tension off the neck while it's traveling. Sometimes I've had to do a near-full setup once I've gotten a guitar, but I haven't gotten a "dud" yet.

Yes, I have gone against that rule as well (even though I'm holding my breath every time), and everything turned out fine. Also, some places make a habit of detuning guitars that they ship, to keep tension off the neck while it's traveling. Sometimes I've had to do a near-full setup once I've gotten a guitar, but I haven't gotten a "dud" yet.

jesusrocker

I must admit, the only REAL regret I have in my 44 years, was trading in a Lyle copy of a Gibson ES-335 in cherry burst. I played it all thru high school jazz band, and I loved it. But one day I was stupid and traded it for an off brand V that turned out to be waayyy less guitar! It took me about a year to fully miss that guitar, and I have missed it every day since. Moral of the story: Never get rid of a good guitar! I don't remember how I came by it, but I have never seen another one in 25 years! And I look everywhere!

I must admit, the only REAL regret I have in my 44 years, was trading in a Lyle copy of a Gibson ES-335 in cherry burst. I played it all thru high school jazz band, and I loved it. But one day I was stupid and traded it for an off brand V that turned out to be waayyy less guitar! It took me about a year to fully miss that guitar, and I have missed it every day since. Moral of the story: Never get rid of a good guitar! I don't remember how I came by it, but I have never seen another one in 25 years! And I look everywhere!