GT interview - Leedogg - June '07

earthman buck
earthman buck
05/21/2007 3:57 am
I'm not gonna lie to you, I don't have much of an introduction for Leedogg. This isn't because I have something against him, it's simply because I don't know much about him. It is my understanding that he was a loyal member of GT before I joined, then he basically disappeared. Recently he has returned, and we're all glad to have him back (even folks like me who hardly know him).

How long have you been playing guitar, and what got you started?

I've been seriously playing guitar for just over 6 years now. I started over spring break of my sophomore year of college, which would've been March of 2001.

I'd had a few false starts prior to this; starting when I was 16. I gave my buddy in high school 200 bucks for a Strat knockoff, a crappy amp, and the ubiquitous orange distortion pedal. I played around with it for a couple of weeks, learned beginner stuff like the "Smoke on the Water" riff, but soon grew frustrated that I wasn't instantly able to wail. In short, I lacked the persistence and diligence necessary to pursue the guitar, got frustrated, and threw my ax in a closet.

Two years later I went off to college and decided to bring my closet-confined instrument with me. I met this kid Jarrod who lived a few doors down the hallway in my dorm who was an amazing player and was inspired to try to learn again. Unfortunately I still lacked the patience necessary to stick with something that didn't come easy; however, during this time my tastes in music changed from a hip-hop persuasion to classic/psychedelic rock, namely Pink Floyd. Perhaps it's cliche but I would return from getting hammered at house parties and throw on "Dark Side of the Moon" and be amazed at Gilmour's playing on an almost spiritual level. By the next year, I had gone through some tough times that made me grow up; and my third attempt at being a guitar player really was a charm and I've been playing ever since!

What was the first song you could play all the way through?

It was either "Friend of the Devil" by The Grateful Dead or CCR's "Midnight Special." I can't exactly recall which one, just that it was an easy 3 or 4 chord song that you could kind of strum along to when you were at a party or something like that. The first solo I learned all the way through was AC/DC's "Shook Me All Night Long."

Word on the streets is that you’re a huge Slash fan. What draws you to him?

As a kid growing up in the late 80s everything was pretty cut and dry concerning the bests in a given field or activity. We all knew Joe Montana was the best quarterback, we all knew that Michael Jordan was the best basketball player, and we all knew that Guns 'n Roses was the best rock and roll band. As a child, my interest in music started during the heyday of Guns 'n Roses. I remember shopping for school clothes right before starting 5th grade and begging my mom to buy me the "Appetite for Destruction" album, and wearing that tape out after she did. I must admit that my appreciation for the man was superficial at this point and was mostly wrapped up in his whiskey-slugging badass portrayal on TV. However, that would change a few years later.

The summer before I bought my first guitar I went on a week-long fishing trip with my step-dad to Canada. It was a good 8-hour long car ride to get there from my home in Northeast Ohio so I made sure I brought my favorite CDs for the journey. Grunge was still popular at the time so after I finished up listening to my token Nirvana and STP albums, I was flipping around my CD collection and saw my GNR albums. I decided to play them all chronologically just for the fun of it, not realizing the musical revelation that was about to ensue.

"November Rain" was old news by this time, but sitting in that van with the huge ear-enveloping headphones covering my auditory receptacles, actively listening to the music, I had an epiphany. You know the outro-solo to that song? It has a tension-filled build up for a minute before the solo starts with the marching drum beat, then out of nowhere Slash's guitar cuts through the maelstrom with pure brilliance and blinding white light. At that moment I had chills shoot down my spine and goose flesh erupt on my arms. I was a guitar addict at that point and I had Slash to thank for it. Furthermore, I had the first inkling that maybe I could someday make music like that. Of course, from my previous answers, it took a few tries to get to, and I'm still on my journey. But it doesn't take a lot to remember this event and become inspired all over again.

What’s your favourite Guns n’ Roses album, and why?

Without a doubt, "Appetite for Destruction," for a few reasons. First of all, it was the first one I ever owned as I mentioned earlier. Second of all, it was more raw and less self-indulgent than their later efforts (even though I love the Use Your Illusions). And finally, later on in my early 20s when I was just beginning to play, I realized that Slash would've only been 21 or 22 when he recorded all of his parts on this absolutely classic album which I'll always believe is a testament to his raw talent when it comes to playing from the heart.

I know your birthday is coming up this month because it’s the same day as mine. How old will you be turning?

The same day? That's so cool dude. I was born in 1981 so I guess that'll make me 26. :eek: I'm not old yet am I? :D

I guess not. :p
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.