Feb. '07 GT interview -- hunter60

earthman buck
earthman buck
01/12/2007 5:03 am
Hunter60 has been a member of our GT lives for but a short time. In that short time, he has worked his way into our hearts with his wit, kindness, and intelligence. Ladies and gentlefolk, I give you.....hunter60.

You are different from many GT members in the fact that you started playing guitar somewhat later in your life. How long have you been playing now (and if you're okay with mentioning it, how old are you?)?

I've been playing now for about 18 months now. I'm 46 now and I really don't mind mentioning it. I mind hearing it! How can someone so cool be so old? :)

So, after over 40 years of life, what got you interested in playing guitar all of a sudden?

Well, I wouldn't say that my interest was sudden so much as just a question of deciding "Hey, I've always wanted to try this, why not?" It actually came about this way: when my grandmother passed away a few years ago, she left each of her grandchildren $100. I thought rather than spend it on something that would be gone in a short time, I would do something that would always remind me of her. One of the things that my gram and I always talked about and enjoyed together was music. She was a Big Band fan as well as jazz and blues and 'boogie woogie' as she called it. So since I always wanted to learn to play, I took that money and bought my old Washburn and that started me down the path to learning to play.

How have you improved since you first started?

It's funny but I like to think that I have improved in all areas. When I first started, forming a D Major seemed impossible to me. My hands cramped, my fingertips hurt and five minutes with the guitar left me confused and frustrated. But hey, I can play a few songs now and catch myself spending hours just picking around the fretboard and making something that sort of sounds like, well, music!

How often do you practice, and for how long?

I really do try to practice every day for at least an hour or so. I find that if I do it right before I call it a night, it relaxes me and I do much better late at night than during the day. Why, I have no idea.

Do you have any specific guitar goals for the near future?

I have a few goals set for myself. One, I would love to be able to play a few of my gram's favorite hymns in church some day. I think that would be a fitting tribute to a wonderful lady. And two, and I know this is a reach, but I want to play out in front of an audience at least once. Even if it's just a coffee house with me picking through a couple of Dylan and Prine tunes...that would be an accomplishment for me. The thought of it both terrifies and thrills me!

Do you have any advice for beginners?

First, know what you want to accomplish and what it will take to get there. It's really easy to get frustrated and tough to get somewhere if you don't know where you're going. Second, realize that everyone had a first day. There are a very few people who can pick an instrument and master it immediately. It takes work. You're not going to be perfect from day one but you'll get there. Third, practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Hang out with other guitar players. Ask advice. And finally, and this is vital, it's got to be fun. If you don't enjoy it, it's almost impossible to be successful.
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/27/2007 8:50 pm
Thanks for that kind intro. Totally undeserved but well appreciated! :D
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
johnguyers
johnguyers
02/05/2007 9:20 am
I picked a guitar up for the first time in my life two years ago this month, and on the 24th I will be 51.
Thanks to a very good guitar teacher and a freind who plays I can now muddle my way through about eight songs from Oasis to Ac/Dc.
My only regret is not starting when I was younger. I have two grown up daughters who think it is great having a dad who plays rock guitar. So it does not matter how old you are, if you've ever wanted to play guitar have a go, just remember as mentioned you have to practice. Like Hunter60 I play every day for at least an hour often a lot more, but I love it.
Thanks for posting this Hunter60, I'm glad I'm not the only oldie to take up the guitar, and good luck in the future with your guitar playing.

All the best.

Johng
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.