Guitar Rig 2.0

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
08/31/2006 10:35 pm

Guitar Rig 2.0

PRICING: $499 street price

PROS: Amplifier and effects emulator software that includes a foot controller, with assignable expression pedal. Has a wide variety of effects, including tons of distorted sounds, excellent clean sounds. The system is very flexible, with many modulation possibilities. Built in slow-downer works great, as does tuner.

CONS: I couldnā€™t get a signal from the built-in sound card that wasnā€™t noisy. Re-assignable footswitches arenā€™t marked, so you have to remember what they are supposed to do.

REVIEW: I got Guitar Rig 2.0 to use in my home studio. Prior to making that decision, I had downloaded the 30-day trial from the Native Instruments website:

http://www.native-instruments.com/

I would encourage anyone to do this, even if you aren't looking for this kind of product. The download is free, and you will learn a thing or two just by trying it out. Guitar Rig includes simulations of several classic ampliers, with simulated cabinets, simulated cab mics, simulated distortion pedals, simulated everything. Basically, it simulates the entire inventory of a guitar store. You can have a lot of fun just trying the different distortion boxes, and the different amp heads and cabinets, etc. You can use it to answer the question ā€œwhat do all these different amps sound like?ā€

The software also has some unique features, which allow you to split your signal and send it down several different chains of processing. So, you could send the highs to a Fender twin emulation with a chorus, and the lows to a Marshall emulation with a delay.
Or you could split the signal and delay one side to get a doubled effect. Or you could split it, and assign an LFO to rotate from one back to the other. I havenā€™t fully explored this feature, but the presets have some interesting applications of it.

The trial download has the complete software, but the full version comes with the software and a very sturdy pedalboard with six stomp switches and one expression pedal. The switches and expression pedal can be assigned to just about any knob. So, you could have the expression pedal turn the distortion up/down, or the volume, or the delay time, or the compression ratio, or whatever you like. This is very flexible.

I am not using the included audio interface. It was noisy when I tried it, and I didnā€™t want to go to the trouble to find out why. I already have an audio interface, so I really didnā€™t need that part. Native Instruments is marketing this as a stage tool, which explains the audio interface and the use of the super rugged footswitches. The software is stable enough to use for the stage. I think their idea is this and a laptop would be your rig. I donā€™t know how popular that idea will be, but I do like using it in the home studio very much.

SUMMARY: Overall, I like this product a lot. The software is very easy to use. It has encouraged me to play around with my sounds more than I have done in quite a while. There are so many different pieces to mix and match. I canā€™t vouch for all the amp emulations, but I love the Fender Twin emulator. It is the only one I have ever heard that sounded like a twin.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/31/2006 11:08 pm
Any idea how this compares with say a PodXT Live Jon ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
09/01/2006 1:14 pm
Do the simulators actually label the real name or are you left to decrypt what "lefty haze" means? That's been a frustration for me with other software. Instead of labeling it "Fender Twin" or "Marshall", it's always something like "stadium" or "Stones". Rather frustrating, but I can imagine it's hard to get approval from all those companies without having to pay some serious royalties.
# 3
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
09/01/2006 7:40 pm
I have been using Guitar rig for a year or so.
I upgraded GR1 to Gr2 6 months or so ago.

I don't use the outboard GR2 foot pedal or that soundcard, I still use the GR1 foot pedal just to switch things and for a wah/volume/parameters pedal.

I use an SB Audigy Platinum sound card and an external M-Audio firewire solo card. I get and get zero noise and 2ms latency with my sound cards.

I have recorded many tunes using Guitar Rig, it is the ultimate Guitar studiio tool. Not just for the amp tines but the multitude of effects are awesome too.
I have made everything from Camel belching noises to space ship sound effects using GR and my guitar.

The only real competitor to GR that I know of is Amplitube. A pod is not even close to having all the features and so I don't put them in the same category.

The only con I have is that Native Instruments is very lacking in customer service. Not that I need any service but people on the official GR2 forum always complain about NI.

Here's a link to the GR forum
Guitar Rig forum
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/04/2006 11:06 am
Does this software facilitate re-amping? For example, you play a piece of lead DI to soundcard where the first pass is a clean signal (which can be recorded as such) and the second pass is effected (through the speakers). So, you can get you clean take and then manipulate the effects, distortions and amp settings etc in real time? I know you can do this on the GT-Pro but I havent been able to get it working yet... reamping was the reason I got it in the first place.
# 5
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
09/05/2006 1:11 pm
You do that in your recording program. GR can be used as a VST plug-in and a couple other plug-in formats also. You record dry in your software and then apply GR as a VST or what ever plug-in as an effect.

I don't record that way, I record the exact sound I want as if I was doing it in a studio, but lots of people do record dry and apply Gr as an effect.

I have used GR as a VST effect for stuff other than guitar. It has a zillion effects that don't have to be used for just guitar.
# 6
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
09/05/2006 9:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Scotttaylor72Do the simulators actually label the real name or are you left to decrypt what "lefty haze" means? That's been a frustration for me with other software. Instead of labeling it "Fender Twin" or "Marshall", it's always something like "stadium" or "Stones". Rather frustrating, but I can imagine it's hard to get approval from all those companies without having to pay some serious royalties.

They don't use the real names. I think that is a legal/copyright issue, and so it probably will be the same for all simulator software. In this case the fender twin is called a twanger. However, the GR2 interface has a picture of the amp with all it's controls, and that picture looks like the familiar amp head, so that should help you figure out what is what.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
09/05/2006 9:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonAny idea how this compares with say a PodXT Live Jon ?

I haven't made that comparison, so I couldn't say.

Download the trial version? I bet you would have an interesting take, I know you have some great gear.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
09/06/2006 2:59 pm
Yes, they don't call the Fender Twin a Fender Twin but you can tell exactly what the amps and most of the effects are by looking at them.

A tube screamer is green and looks just like a green tube screamer but it's called a Skreamer

My favorite effect is not a real life effect. It's called a Psychedelay. It can do forward/ reverse delays and really complex sound effects.

There are tons of effects and you can set up all kinds of series parallel arrangements and put things in any order you like just by dragging amps, effects modifiers into the rack.

You can save up to 100 presets in each bank and you can have lots of banks.

Each amp or effect has a bunch of parameters that can be dialed in and then you can save that preset in each effect or amp. So for example, you dial in a cool Dual rectifier sound you like, save it and then it is available in a drop dwon preset menu inside the Dual rectifier amp.

You have 9 amps to choose from. Classic stuff like Plexi's, JCM800, Vox AC30, Tweed Bassman, Ampegs, Fender Twin, Roland Jazz amp and probably th most favorite of many guys, the Boogie Dual rectumfrier.

10 different distortion boxes like Tube screamer, Deamon, Fuzz face, Big Muff, Cat, Metal zone, etc.

25 misc effects like
Tremolo, 3 types of wah pedals, chorus, flangers, octavia, phaser, rotator, pitch pedal, several types of eq's, volume pedals, noise gates, compressors, limiters, 4 kinds of reverbs and delays.

There's also a tools section which lets you create split racks for parallel sound chains.
There's two tape deck records.
There's a loop machine.
And some way cool sequencers, envelope followers and tools that can follow your signal and trigger different effect parameters to fire or be changed live as you play.

One of the strongets features in GR is the speaker cabinet emulations.
There's also a bunch of different speaker cabinets from 4x12's to Tweed alnico cabinets.
There several microphones to choose from like sm57, tube mics, etc.
The mics can be placed on the speaker cbinets in several ways like stright on, angled, back of cabinet, far away from cabinet.

There are tons of effects and you can set up all kinds of series parallel arrangements and put things in any order you like just by dragging amps, effects modifiers into the rack.

You can save up to 100 presets in each bank and you can have lots of banks.

Watch th movie at the Gr web site to get a feel for how it works.
Guitar Rig web site info

By the way, the downloadable demo is only good for something like 30 minutes. There's so much to Guitar Rig that you won't be able to get the big picture before the demo shuts down. It took me several months to dial in some very cool sounds. You just want to play at first so making custom sounds seesm to take a back seat until you start to figure out how it all works.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.