Fender Squier Stratocastor

Tekime
Tekime
07/21/2006 5:16 pm
Fender Squier Stratocastor
Please note, I am a beginner and this is my first electric guitar. All opinions are from this perspective.

Price: $200.00 USD

Pros:
  • Affordable

• Looks/feels great

Cons:
  • Still a budget guitar

Review
Great guitar for the price. Good sound and feel for a budget guitar, and still a good name so it should take a little abuse.

Summary
I've been playing with my acoustic for some time now and decided I really did need an electric guitar. With a limited budget, and not a ton of knowledge (or patience :)), I went to a few local shops and found something in my price range (~$200) that felt good to me.

I ended up coming home with a Squier Standard Stratocaster (Rosewood).

I'm far from an authority on guitars, but for a beginner I have to say this guitar feels great, plays well, and with insurance, case, and some accessories it ran me $300 even. Not bad for getting started.

Just thought I'd share, because I'm completely elated! For the price range, do you think this was a decent purchase for a first electric?
I suck, and I'll probably always suck, but if ever stop sucking, and start talking about how good I am all the time, I encourage you to punch me in the head.
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
07/21/2006 8:03 pm
I've had several Electrics over the years including a Gibson les paul, but my favourite one is a cream fender Squire - it's got the best action i've ever seen/felt and I love it - because of it's low output it's ideal for digital recording
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
deathmetal666
deathmetal666
07/21/2006 10:42 pm
Hey man thats was an ok pick but i would have gone with something a little better, i still play my Fender strat its a 76 and it has all the old fix's from neck to humbuckers, but i would go with a esp 100 or 400 series they kick ass and have a good sound when it comes to playin metal and fast **** all around
# 3
jakej
jakej
07/21/2006 11:11 pm
As a first electric guitar you can't go wrong with a Fender. As long as it has a good set up it should be an easy playing guitar. If you feel comfortable with it thats all that counts.
There's an old saying a $1000 guitar played through a $100 amp puts out a $100 sound. But a $100 guitar played through a $1000 amp sounds like a million bucks. Don't know where that came from just something I heard many years ago back in the 60's.
I believe it's not the guitar but the musician that makes the sound. I bought my first guitar in 1967 a Teisco for $39.00. When I play it it sounds like a $39.00 guitar but I have musician friends, and when they play it its sounds like heaven. I have expensive guitars and it's the same when I play them, they sound just like my skill level.
But one thing to remember is your first Electric Guitar is like your first love, there will never be nothing like it and you will remember it for the rest of your life.
So enjoy it and play it as loud as you can, you have to feel it to enjoy it...Jakej :) :) :)
# 4
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
07/22/2006 1:02 am
Sounds like you did good. As far as what guitar you buy is totally a personal preference thing. Enjoy it.
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2006 1:39 am
I had a Squire Strat in the 80s and it rocked ! I'd love to have a blast on it now to see how it compares to my more recent axes !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2006 2:28 am
I've had my Fender Strat for 5 years now and I absolutely love it, so I was quite intrigued when my
brother showed me his first electric guitar, a $200 Squier Strat, a month ago.
I'd never really tried one out before, and I must say I really liked it!
I can't see any way to get more bang for your buck than a Squier in that price range.
In my opinion it certainly outperforms several of the more expensive "budget-guitars".
Then again I'm quite biased since I'm a Fender guy, but I think most people will agree it's a very well put together axe for that kind of money.
# 7
Tekime
Tekime
07/22/2006 5:08 am
Thanks, I enjoy all the feedback and philosophy. ;)

I'm relieved not to see any "Oh, that axe..." posts, and it certainly feels great in my hands. It's only been a day but I'm completely in love already. :D

The three bands that really attract me to electric right now are System of a Down, Tool, and Deftones. I was recommended Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom nickel wound with this in mind, but I still have the original strings on there now.

I also picked up some GHS Fast Fret, which has been handy.
I suck, and I'll probably always suck, but if ever stop sucking, and start talking about how good I am all the time, I encourage you to punch me in the head.
# 8
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/22/2006 5:16 pm
It's always great when you find a guitar that seems to fit you just right. Congratulations on your purchase. One of the best guitars I've ever played was a Squire Fat Strat. Mind you, it was heavily modified, and pretty much the only things that were original on it were the body and neck, but it was still an amazing guitar.

Also, could you please go back and edit your original post to follow our Gear Reiew Guidelines, that can be found in the sticky thread at the top of this section, titled "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - THIS MEANS YOU-!!!!". Any thread not following these guidelines will be moved to the Gear Discussion forum if they are not revised correctly.

Thanks
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 9
Tekime
Tekime
07/22/2006 9:43 pm
My bad, I updated the original post accordingly.
# 10
fr3ak
fr3ak
07/24/2006 5:23 pm
I own a Black Squier Strat. My first guitar given to me as a christmas present. Pretty sweet if you ask me. I think it's a very good choice for beginners like me in this case. I like it so much that when I went to purchase my acoustic guitar I chose an Squier aswell. First thing I did on the electric was change the Fender strings to DR black beauties. System of a down songs sound pretty sweet coming out of the Squier strat to a Line 6 Spider2 amp.

I say you made a good choice you won't be dissapointed.

Best regards,

fr3ak
# 11
ren
ren
07/25/2006 8:27 am
I've got a squire strat.... it's travelled the world with me, and is always with me when I'm away from home. OK, it may not be the greatest guitar in the world, but it does the job nicely.

I recommend squire strats to all my students and anyone that asks about a first guitar - the standard range is exceptional for the money, even in the UK where they cost about twice as much! Mine has seen so much action it's started to look like a Rory Gallagher custom shop strat! :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 12
TomSr
TomSr
08/02/2006 11:44 am
Congratulations on the purchase of your first guitar! I'm sure you will cherish it in the years to come as you develop your playing skills. If and when you buy a "better" (read more expensive) guitar in the future I am sure you will always look back at this guitar as something special.

Like others have already told you, you can't go wrong with a Fender. You didn't mention what kind of amp you were playing this through. Please get the best amp that you can afford to allow the sweet sounds of that Fender to come through!

Tom
# 13
t2fsu
t2fsu
08/02/2006 2:30 pm
Hey, Dude!

Congrats on your Strat!!!! I purchased my first Squier Strat from an online store about 4 or 5 years ago, and loved the way that thing played. At the time, I could neither afford or justify laying out for the American-made Strats, given my skill level at the time. Since then I have gone through numerous inexpensive ($300 or less) and one or two expensive guitars, and I have to say that for the most part, "it's the magician, not the wand."

The best gift any up-and-coming musician can give to themselves is to just take some time to learn the fundamentals so that you will have a real foundation to build from; sounds like you got this part of the game working for you.

So don't "fret" about playing a so-called inexpensive guitar; this guiter is gonna do you just fine!

Just keep rocking.

t2fsu
# 14
martyjp56
martyjp56
08/02/2006 7:01 pm
I have always had either a Gibson Les Paul, Gibson SG w/ Humbuckers, or a Guild. I decided to try a Fender and found the Squier to be a really pleasant surprise. It was what motivated me to purchase an American Strat with Humbucker and its switching. I don't think that there is any band that I can't emulated with it. I think that I am in love ! Enjoy your Squier, as it has a great neck.

Marty
# 15
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
08/16/2006 3:33 am
Well, it looks pretty nice, and I've never seen or heard many bad things about Squier. But for around $300 dollars, I bought myself a used Mexican Strat, although it looked and sounded new (It even still had the super-bullet sticker on the back). It was actually $280, and I just dropped it off at the shop today for them to drop in some new Texas Special pups. But for $200, and a first electric, that looks like a nice one! Good luck!
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 16
Iron-Toad
Iron-Toad
08/22/2006 9:51 am
Gotta love the Fender, great design.
# 17
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/25/2006 4:04 pm
My first guitar was a Squier strat as well. I still play it more than my Yamaha AE500, which cost as much as the strat and my amp put together. I love the pants off my strat, but I find the quality varies with Squiers. Mine has excellent action and whatnot, but I know people who have almost identical strats that sound and feel like they're made of plastic.

Glad you picked up a good one!
# 18
acapella
acapella
08/25/2006 8:25 pm
Yeah, in my trips to the music store I've played a lot of Strats, and it really varies from guitar to guitar. Having played several of the exact same model, some will sound and fell good, and will sound and feel like they're made of cheap plastic or pumpkins. You're either lucky or smart if you got a good one. Way to beat the system!
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 19
Tekime
Tekime
09/24/2006 10:52 pm
Well thanks again for all the advice and encouragement.

I've been beating on it for a while now and it's still holding a tune, playing nice, and feeling lovely. :) Granted I don't have the experience to really tell the difference, but in the least I am a happy noob. ;)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.