Ibanez RG770DX

ren
ren
07/05/2006 8:38 am

Price

£450 used

Mine is a 1991 Model

Pros

I dreamt of this guitar when I was a kid but couldn't afford one (it was top of the range in 1991!), and then I had one up until a couple of years ago when it got stolen. It's taken me until now to find one. Pro - it's making me very very happy!
Build & Finish perfect - no flaws at all! The guy must have kept it in mothballs for years! The fretboard is bound, which is odd for a maple faced Ibanez...
Edge Trem stays perfectly in tune despite abuse
I love maple fretboards, and they are fairly rare on Ibanez's
Low low action, and no buzz
DiMarzio pickups (F2 & C2 IBZ)
out of the ordinary inlays

Cons

None - guitars this good should never come up for sale used, but I'm so glad they do!

Review

My favourite guitar for burning lead.... not as nice as my JS for neck radius, but it's faster. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking. Very low action and the trem never wanders. Not as comfortable for playing chords all day, but that's not really what I do... :D

Pickups are DiMarzio IBZ - not quite as high output as Evolutions or Breeds, but a nice powerful tone and good sustain generally. I might have the last 4 frets scalloped though....

The guitar looks new, which is incredible. Sadly, it won't do for long once I'm using it in anger, but I don't mind the battle scars - badge of honour. I've always liked the visual impact of guitars like this, and for live work it gives me an edge. I'm going off JEMs now - maybe I'm getting old but they're just a bit too showy so have retired mine to studio use only. I still feel like I can get away with this though!

Summary

When you have a guitar that's like an old friend, never let it out of your site! The 770DX was top of the Ibanez range 15 years ago, and it's a no questions asked pro-level instrument.... for the price of a mexican strat. When you find treasures like this on your travels, grab 'em quick! I prefer buying used guitars when I can, not just to save money but so they have a 'history'...

Apologies for nicking a pic off ibanezrules - a bit cheeky but I haven't got my digicam with me, and cannot contain my excitement at finally finding one of these!

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
07/05/2006 11:33 am
looking good, got myself an Ibanez RG 370DX (same style) and it's also really sweet, new it was 450euros or something
only trouble with mine is the 'how do you call it' sustain? how long a tone holds its tone, might have to do with the pickups, cause my amps a beauty, the Line 6 Spider II

nice to see you're so glad with it, even if you got a JS and a JEM, just sweet!
= good music is good drinking =
# 2
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
07/05/2006 4:36 pm
Sexy guitar! You don't see them that colour very often. My favourite colour for them is Desert Yellow and they're rare too.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.