Ernie ball volume pedal (6166)

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Reviews > Ernie ball volume pedal (6166)

Akira

Pricing

List price: $150 (Ernie Ball jacked up their prices not so long ago) $90 sale price on http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-6166-Mono-Volume-Pedal?sku=152103&src=HC004

Got mine for £90 from ebay. £115 new from http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=818

Pros

+ Tuner output for silent tuning when the pedal is in the heel down position.
+ Solid steel construction; very well built.
+ Ergonomically sound; the size of the pedal is suited so you can fit your whole foot on it, and the pivotal position is just right so the sweep of the pedal feels very smooth.
+ Silent and transparent.
+ Very grippy so your foot won’t slip off.
+ Micro switch means you have access to two different tapers.
+ Stays in the position you leave it in.
+ Choice of volume pedal by many Professionals.
+ Input/Output is on the front of the pedal, not the sides, which could be a bonus if you're trying to fit it onto that already full pedalboard!

Cons

- The insides of the pedal are very open.
- The string system seems scarily feeble.
- Big and heavy, could be a problem for some.

Review

I have owned this for over a year and I get the feeling I’ll have it for a while yet. This thing is solid and although volume pedals are simple in terms of function, they maintain a crucial role in anyone’s rig, and this one definitely does it for me. Ergonomically this thing is sound; although it is a very large pedal, this is soon made up for by the ease at which you can operate it; your whole foot can fit on the pedal, and the pivot point is just right. There’s a handy micro switch on the inside of the pedal that allows you to swap between two different tapers. The first is a gradual and sustained sweep from quiet to loud, and the other makes the sweep stay “quiet” for the first two thirds of travel, before shifting to “loud” in the last third. The only thing that really concerns me about this pedal is the openness of the insides of the pedal. The string system seems scarily feeble, and funnily enough, there have been a lot of complaints about the ease of breakage of this part of the pedal, however this hasn’t happened to me yet, thankfully.

Summary

Although pricey, this pedal should be in every ones rig, just make sure you get some spare parts in case there are any breakages. Overall I’d give this pedal a 9.8/10; marked down only because of the apparently feeble string system, however, the common consensus is that this is the best volume pedal around, so it’s well worth the investment.
You can now find me >here

Pricing

List price: $150 (Ernie Ball jacked up their prices not so long ago) $90 sale price on http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-6166-Mono-Volume-Pedal?sku=152103&src=HC004

Got mine for £90 from ebay. £115 new from http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=818

Pros

+ Tuner output for silent tuning when the pedal is in the heel down position.
+ Solid steel construction; very well built.
+ Ergonomically sound; the size of the pedal is suited so you can fit your whole foot on it, and the pivotal position is just right so the sweep of the pedal feels very smooth.
+ Silent and transparent.
+ Very grippy so your foot won’t slip off.
+ Micro switch means you have access to two different tapers.
+ Stays in the position you leave it in.
+ Choice of volume pedal by many Professionals.
+ Input/Output is on the front of the pedal, not the sides, which could be a bonus if you're trying to fit it onto that already full pedalboard!

Cons

- The insides of the pedal are very open.
- The string system seems scarily feeble.
- Big and heavy, could be a problem for some.

Review

I have owned this for over a year and I get the feeling I’ll have it for a while yet. This thing is solid and although volume pedals are simple in terms of function, they maintain a crucial role in anyone’s rig, and this one definitely does it for me. Ergonomically this thing is sound; although it is a very large pedal, this is soon made up for by the ease at which you can operate it; your whole foot can fit on the pedal, and the pivot point is just right. There’s a handy micro switch on the inside of the pedal that allows you to swap between two different tapers. The first is a gradual and sustained sweep from quiet to loud, and the other makes the sweep stay “quiet” for the first two thirds of travel, before shifting to “loud” in the last third. The only thing that really concerns me about this pedal is the openness of the insides of the pedal. The string system seems scarily feeble, and funnily enough, there have been a lot of complaints about the ease of breakage of this part of the pedal, however this hasn’t happened to me yet, thankfully.

Summary

Although pricey, this pedal should be in every ones rig, just make sure you get some spare parts in case there are any breakages. Overall I’d give this pedal a 9.8/10; marked down only because of the apparently feeble string system, however, the common consensus is that this is the best volume pedal around, so it’s well worth the investment.

PRSplaya

Full Access

I've also got this pedal, and love it to bits. I keep mine out front, and use it to mute everything while tuning, gain reduction so I can got from crunch mode to kill mode on the same channel, and volume swells (these are best achieved with it placed in the effects loop).
Tonja Renee's personal instructor

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW

I've also got this pedal, and love it to bits. I keep mine out front, and use it to mute everything while tuning, gain reduction so I can got from crunch mode to kill mode on the same channel, and volume swells (these are best achieved with it placed in the effects loop).

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW

suicidalmoose

Full Access

could you compare it to competing products? I'm going for a volume pedal soon, but it just seems pricey for what it is, but then again i guess for something that can have such a profound impact on tone it might be worth it?

could you compare it to competing products? I'm going for a volume pedal soon, but it just seems pricey for what it is, but then again i guess for something that can have such a profound impact on tone it might be worth it?

PRSplaya

Full Access

Other volume pedals I've used don't have as smooth of a sweep as the EB. They went from quiet straight to loud, and were very hard to make a smooth transition. With the EB pedal, this isn't a problem at all. It's sweep is very smooth.. not too fast, nor too slow. Plus, it has 2-3 different taper adjustments for the sweep.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW

Other volume pedals I've used don't have as smooth of a sweep as the EB. They went from quiet straight to loud, and were very hard to make a smooth transition. With the EB pedal, this isn't a problem at all. It's sweep is very smooth.. not too fast, nor too slow. Plus, it has 2-3 different taper adjustments for the sweep.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW

suicidalmoose

Full Access

ok cool, well i think a lower range volume pedal will be suitable for my purposes of controlling amp gain.

ok cool, well i think a lower range volume pedal will be suitable for my purposes of controlling amp gain.

Akira

Originally Posted by: suicidalmoose

I would still heavily recommend the Ernie Ball pedal in this review. It's one of those pedals you wont replace... ever, and if you did, it'd be replaced by the same pedal! It's expensive, but I'd say it's more of an investment that an expensive burden on the wallet.

Originally Posted by: suicidalmoose

I would still heavily recommend the Ernie Ball pedal in this review. It's one of those pedals you wont replace... ever, and if you did, it'd be replaced by the same pedal! It's expensive, but I'd say it's more of an investment that an expensive burden on the wallet.

axe2

I need to get a volume pedal,how can u play pink fl with out one.

I need to get a volume pedal,how can u play pink fl with out one.

Chrisser

Originally Posted by: PRSplaya

The EB is the standard. I love mine.

I gave the Dunlop a try, it's also very nice but bigger and heavier than the EB.

I have the EB mounted to my pedal board, the dunlop was just TOO BIG to do that so...

Get the EB, you'll be happy. :D

Originally Posted by: PRSplaya

The EB is the standard. I love mine.

I gave the Dunlop a try, it's also very nice but bigger and heavier than the EB.

I have the EB mounted to my pedal board, the dunlop was just TOO BIG to do that so...

Get the EB, you'll be happy. :D

latestmusicalinstrument

need suggestion

Who can confidently pick the best service among those listed on this site?
https://latestmusicalinstrument.com/best-volume-pedals/

need suggestion

Who can confidently pick the best service among those listed on this site?
https://latestmusicalinstrument.com/best-volume-pedals/