Line 6 spider ii combo

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Reviews > Line 6 spider ii combo

6strngs_2hmbkrs

Proud Celica Enthusiast

Originally Posted by: PRSplaya
That's no way to treat someones first post. If you were just jokeing, let someone know with a smiley or something. Posts like that scare people off.

hence why I said "nice" congratulating him on such a feat. also, I didn't notice it was only his first post. sorry about that dude, hopefully you knew I was joking.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace

Originally Posted by: PRSplaya
That's no way to treat someones first post. If you were just jokeing, let someone know with a smiley or something. Posts like that scare people off.

hence why I said "nice" congratulating him on such a feat. also, I didn't notice it was only his first post. sorry about that dude, hopefully you knew I was joking.
my spyspace

ott_face

The SpiderII IS a nice amp, good sounds, great versatility, and over all worth the money. But I have recently discovered the Behringer V-Ampire which kicks arse against the SpiderII. I ended up buying the 120watt 112 model and it's amazing. It's range of sounds decimates the SpiderII, and it has 125 storage spaces.

It also has all the extra features that really bring it to the next level above the SpiderII. It has a noise gate, universal EQ aswell as the individual EQ of each patch, a series of cabinet emulations that can be used freely with any amplifer emulation, a driver booster, a number of different reverbs, and a nice effect range with good control, including tap tempo.

The best thing about it though is the connectivity. It has stereo XLR direct outs including analogue speaker emulations, stereo 1/4 inch line outs, 1/4 power outs which can be configered an a variety of ways, a pre DSP effects loop, an auxilery in with individual gain setting and best of all, MIDI in/out. The midi is killer, you can use all manner of sequencers and controllers to change patches and adjust all parameters, you can link it up with a multi-effects board like a Boss GT-6, and my favourite application is full control from my computer.

Theres great software on the Behringer website which allows you to write patches on the computer, control the amp realtime, and save limiless patch libraries (in case 125 patches just isn't enough for you :) ) The software allows incredibly precise control that manual knobs could never give you, and it also allows far better control over the effects. Another brilliant feature is the LED rings around the knobs, so when you change patches you can see the exact settings each patch has. BRILLIANT!

Admittedly Behringer does have a bad reputation for quality... but I've giged mine a fair few times and it hasn't let me down yet.

Considering the fact that the V-Ampire is far cheaper than the SpiderII, I'd say the SpiderII just isn't competition. 10/10 for the Behringer, i reccomend everyone trying one out.

The SpiderII IS a nice amp, good sounds, great versatility, and over all worth the money. But I have recently discovered the Behringer V-Ampire which kicks arse against the SpiderII. I ended up buying the 120watt 112 model and it's amazing. It's range of sounds decimates the SpiderII, and it has 125 storage spaces.

It also has all the extra features that really bring it to the next level above the SpiderII. It has a noise gate, universal EQ aswell as the individual EQ of each patch, a series of cabinet emulations that can be used freely with any amplifer emulation, a driver booster, a number of different reverbs, and a nice effect range with good control, including tap tempo.

The best thing about it though is the connectivity. It has stereo XLR direct outs including analogue speaker emulations, stereo 1/4 inch line outs, 1/4 power outs which can be configered an a variety of ways, a pre DSP effects loop, an auxilery in with individual gain setting and best of all, MIDI in/out. The midi is killer, you can use all manner of sequencers and controllers to change patches and adjust all parameters, you can link it up with a multi-effects board like a Boss GT-6, and my favourite application is full control from my computer.

Theres great software on the Behringer website which allows you to write patches on the computer, control the amp realtime, and save limiless patch libraries (in case 125 patches just isn't enough for you :) ) The software allows incredibly precise control that manual knobs could never give you, and it also allows far better control over the effects. Another brilliant feature is the LED rings around the knobs, so when you change patches you can see the exact settings each patch has. BRILLIANT!

Admittedly Behringer does have a bad reputation for quality... but I've giged mine a fair few times and it hasn't let me down yet.

Considering the fact that the V-Ampire is far cheaper than the SpiderII, I'd say the SpiderII just isn't competition. 10/10 for the Behringer, i reccomend everyone trying one out.

MusicallyMrM

:o I've been playing the guitar for almost 35 years. Seen a lot of amps come and go. I still own a couple Fender (got a SFTR that I love), a really nice Carr Rambler (and if you never heard one, go to Carr Amps ) and a Spider 112 (red one) and pound for pound, dollar for dollar, it is a sweet package. Light weight, decent speaker (Celestion), enough effects for studio use and small venue use. (I play through the board for a good mix any way). Yes Line 6 Spiders make good practice amps but they are good enough for pro gigs too. Don't worry about that cable to the footswitch btw. They sell them at any Radio Shack or computer store in the country. It's just a network cable and you can get them in shorter lengths if that long one from Line 6 bothers you. My only complaint about this amp is that Line 6 should give us the FB4/FBV4 switching pedal for free. :cool:

:o I've been playing the guitar for almost 35 years. Seen a lot of amps come and go. I still own a couple Fender (got a SFTR that I love), a really nice Carr Rambler (and if you never heard one, go to Carr Amps ) and a Spider 112 (red one) and pound for pound, dollar for dollar, it is a sweet package. Light weight, decent speaker (Celestion), enough effects for studio use and small venue use. (I play through the board for a good mix any way). Yes Line 6 Spiders make good practice amps but they are good enough for pro gigs too. Don't worry about that cable to the footswitch btw. They sell them at any Radio Shack or computer store in the country. It's just a network cable and you can get them in shorter lengths if that long one from Line 6 bothers you. My only complaint about this amp is that Line 6 should give us the FB4/FBV4 switching pedal for free. :cool:

earthman buck

My friend Luke has the Spider II, and I think it sounds pretty cool. Whenever we play as a band though (he's the drummer), I just play through my fender frontman 25r and hook the mike up through his spider II. That way the guitar sounds gravelly-er and cruddier (like I like it) and you can get all the cool effects for singing instead, which sounds cooler.

My friend Luke has the Spider II, and I think it sounds pretty cool. Whenever we play as a band though (he's the drummer), I just play through my fender frontman 25r and hook the mike up through his spider II. That way the guitar sounds gravelly-er and cruddier (like I like it) and you can get all the cool effects for singing instead, which sounds cooler.

Danny C.

I can't really speak for the Spider II but I do have the Flextone III which is awesome, I love it. I bought it used with the FB4 included for 150 bucks. That thing has some awesome sounds. And the footpedal cord is wayyy to long ;)

I can't really speak for the Spider II but I do have the Flextone III which is awesome, I love it. I bought it used with the FB4 included for 150 bucks. That thing has some awesome sounds. And the footpedal cord is wayyy to long ;)

CrusadinCrouton

I own a Spider II 212, and although it's far too much amp for me (150 watts in a small 1-bedroom apartment is never a good thing...), dollar for dollar, it's the best deal I could find. I have the shortboard with mine, and the Pontiacsilverdome preset is my favorite one of the bunch. I've also managed to tweak a clean setting with a lot of reverb and a touch of delay for a really cool "surfer" tone. I love my Spider II, I also use a small Kustom Arrow 16R with a Boss GT-3 effects board, and I always go back to the Spider II. Has a really sweet tone that I cannot seem to replicate with the Boss and the Kustom, as hard as I try. I'm not one to fuss on how close the amp modelling is, I just know what I like to hear and I'm definitely hearing it in the Spider. And so are the neighbors. :D ;)

I own a Spider II 212, and although it's far too much amp for me (150 watts in a small 1-bedroom apartment is never a good thing...), dollar for dollar, it's the best deal I could find. I have the shortboard with mine, and the Pontiacsilverdome preset is my favorite one of the bunch. I've also managed to tweak a clean setting with a lot of reverb and a touch of delay for a really cool "surfer" tone. I love my Spider II, I also use a small Kustom Arrow 16R with a Boss GT-3 effects board, and I always go back to the Spider II. Has a really sweet tone that I cannot seem to replicate with the Boss and the Kustom, as hard as I try. I'm not one to fuss on how close the amp modelling is, I just know what I like to hear and I'm definitely hearing it in the Spider. And so are the neighbors. :D ;)

Fret spider

yah someone else ones a flexitone 3. i love mine great options tonnes of tones. only problem i find is theres to much to choose from, ow well thats not really the worst thing that can be said about an amp. :D

yah someone else ones a flexitone 3. i love mine great options tonnes of tones. only problem i find is theres to much to choose from, ow well thats not really the worst thing that can be said about an amp. :D

suicidalmoose

Full Access

everything i've heard about teh spider is bad, but maybe people just expect too much from it, like they expect it to sound like a tube amp or something.

everything i've heard about teh spider is bad, but maybe people just expect too much from it, like they expect it to sound like a tube amp or something.

6strngs_2hmbkrs

Proud Celica Enthusiast

Originally Posted by: suicidalmoose

apparently you've never heard us talking about them on this board before! if you have $200 to spend on an amp, this is your best bet... in fact, if you have $400 to spend on amp, it's still probably your best bet. if you have $700+ to spend, then yes, a tube amp would definately be a better choice. but these things don't sound bad, just not amazing like a tube amp.
my spyspace

Originally Posted by: suicidalmoose

apparently you've never heard us talking about them on this board before! if you have $200 to spend on an amp, this is your best bet... in fact, if you have $400 to spend on amp, it's still probably your best bet. if you have $700+ to spend, then yes, a tube amp would definately be a better choice. but these things don't sound bad, just not amazing like a tube amp.
my spyspace