Epiphone LP 100

x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/23/2005 9:29 pm
First off, this guitar always gets a bad rep. Well, most wouldnt touch this brand because of people saying Epi's suck. I couldnt believe anyone who said that, and yet i was getting alittle nervous about buying this guitar. However when it came I knew most of those people have never really played one, or have gotten the misfortune of playing a bad one. Now getting that out of my system, here we go....

Picture- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/518661/

Mahogany/alder body
Mahogany bolt on neck
Rosewood fingerboard
2 stock humbuckers
Stock tuners(3 on each side)
Tunomatic bridge
Chrome hardware
24.75" scale
Limited Lifetime Warranty
3 way selector switch
2 volume, 2 tone controls
Dot inlays
Made and set up in China

Pricing-
This guitar set me back $299 because i got the vintage sunburst which is $20 more.
The pickups are not good or incredibly bad. They dont have much highs which was the only disappointment for me, and the lows are a bit muddy. But thats easily fixed.

Pros-

-The tone on this thing is great, its the deep tone Les Paul's are known for.

-I got the vintage sunburst and its gorgeous, it has alotta sex appeal. The pickguard is creme, along with the humbucker plates. The finish is very glossy
Because of the mahogany back, this guitar is quite heavy. But I like the heft, It doesnt feel like one drop and its done for. There were no dents or nicks, and the finish was flawless.

-The input jack is very sturdy, it isnt loose or anything. The tuning heads are nice and sturdy though unlike my other guitar.

-This is just an over all nice guitar.

Cons-

- The volume and tone controls feel cheap.

-The tuners on this guitar are...not the best. I tuned it and before i was done it had slipped out of tune again.

-The frets were fine except the 12th fret was little damaged.

-Overall-

I really love this guitar. I dont care what people say about Epiphone or about this model. I would choose an Epiphone over a Gibson any day. It was worth waiting for. The only things I will replace is the tuners and the humbuckers, both of which i had already knew I would have to replace. If this thing were stolen i would make it my meaning in life to find that prick and beat his ass, then i would buy another. Its great.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/23/2005 10:11 pm
Not bad, but you need to edit it to follow our gear review format.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/23/2005 10:50 pm
Sorry, im one of those ignorant people who never take a look at those "read me" posts. Ill remember in the future. :D
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
06/23/2005 11:41 pm
Might wanna check about changing the pickups to higher end stuff. Sounds like a nice guitar, though.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/24/2005 12:42 am
Yeah, I had spent a long time just listening to all the clips on the Seymour Duncan site and decided on the Duncan Distortions.
# 5
oracleguy
oracleguy
06/26/2005 7:10 pm
Looks like a nice axe. My EPI (Std +) came with Grovers which I'm just fine with. They hold true to pitch despite my "gorilla bends" -- al'a Hellicasters' Will Ray.

I think the EPI's on the lower end of the cost scale are made in China. (I could be wrong about that though). The more $++ stuff is made in Korea and come with better T/machines and P/Us. (guest that's why they cost more)

The Hum-Bs on my EPI arn't all that bad either. I can live with the tone, but they are not linear on their output. Thus I'm going to pull them for Duncan's or Dimarzio's... choices, choices.

You might want to fool around with string guages as well. For me, Markley Blue Steel 10-43's provide the most versitility with sufficient "balls" to get the right sound. #12's on my EPI defy 1.5 step bends, but for rythm playing -- oh s w e e t !

Enjoy your new EPI, I'm just luv'in mine. And welcome to the "pariah" club!

CHeers...Randy

Check-out what owners have to say:
Other Reviews
# 6
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/27/2005 8:55 pm
Thank you Dr. Simon for getting that picture in there!!!

I prefer using 10's, i can get good bends, and theyre awesome for rhythm.
# 7
oracleguy
oracleguy
06/30/2005 8:13 am
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0xThank you Dr. Simon for getting that picture in there!!!

I prefer using 10's, i can get good bends, and theyre awesome for rhythm.

Don't know what you play, but blow 6$ and try #12's for rhythm with the EPI. Trust me. It's a rush! Huge clear sound. Now if you can only bend the buggers! That's where I miss my Strat.... :(

Bon' pick'en fellow pariah!

Cheers...R
# 8
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/30/2005 6:18 pm
Yeah, ill try the 12's but im really comfy with the 10s because i switch between lead and rhythm so if i put the 12s on id have to use my other guitar for lead...
# 9
fretboarddragon
fretboarddragon
07/17/2005 10:50 am
I love my Epi LP Standard...what a nice guitar!! But I have a little tuning troubles myself....maybe replacing the tuners is the first step. The other problem I'm having right now is the bridge...the saddles are a little loose, and when I tried setting the intonation the screws wanted to pop out of the slots! If it hadn't been for the retaining spring, they would have. So a better bridge is in order, too. I have the chrome covered pickups and while I keep talking about replacing them, my bandmates keep telling me to leave it alone that the tone is nice and it fits well with what we're doing.
For a quick snack, picks is good eatin'
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.