Rocktron Banshee

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/12/2005 12:59 am

paid $150

I have wanted a talk box ever since I first heard one. The sound from Aerosmith's Walk This Way...the old Peter Frampton Show Me the Way...

I don't really need one, or even have a use for one, but you can't try one at the store because you end up getting spit all over it. You wouldn't want to borrow anybody's talk box, either, for the same reason. So, the only way I can try it is to buy it. This year I had a gift certificate and just said, why not? Why not finally find out what it is like?

Here is what it is like....

How a talk box works:

In order to get that talking guitar sound, the amp output is sent into a tube that you stick in your mouth, and then you move your mouth around with all this air pressure coming in from the tube. Your mouth becomes the speaker, sort of. So, you then get your mouth near a microphone and the PA picks up the sound coming out of your mouth.

A standard talk box from Heil requires that you connect the talk box into your amp's SPEAKER output, which is rumored to be difficult to set up. Rocktron Banshee is not the old style talk box. The Banshee is an attempt to get rid of that complexity and get as close to an effects pedal as possible. They get pretty close. Here is how they do it...

How a Banshee works:

The Banshee is basically a pignose amp (a really small practice amp) with the speaker facing up towards the ceiling. The tube fits into the hole over the speaker, and funnels the sound to your mouth.

Moving your mouth changes the sound so that is it speech-like, but you can't use every letter. K doesn't work, but W works great. I am sure over time, I will get better at the different sounds. Doing the basic Bon Jovi or Alice in Chains sound is no sweat first thing without practice.

Here is the strange part: while the banshee is on, your guitar is no longer going to your amp. The banshee cuts the signal to your amp, uses its internal amp and uses your head is the speaker. So, sitting in your room playing your
banshee, it is kind of strange. In a band situation, you would put the banshee tube next to your vocal mic, so the vocal mic would pick up the sound. But at home, kinda weird.

Here is the bad news: The sound is always distorted. There is no clean tone. There is a speaker output next to the amp output. The manual says if you put the speaker out to your amp it could fry your amp. So you would think they wouldn't be right next to each other, but they are. Just be careful.

Summary: The Banshee is a very cool tool. if I were in a band, it would definitely be a wow factor that would make the band stand out in a crowd. I wish I could get a clean tone, though, which the Banshee won't provide. So if I were in a band, I would opt for the Heil version. Since I am just goofing off at home, the whole idea of having my own talk box seems like over kill. But, I do enjoy it.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/12/2005 2:59 am
Very interesting... I've alway's wondered how a talk box worked.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/07/2006 5:42 pm
I ordered one from Musicians Friend thats suppose to be coming today. I'll give my input after I give it a go. Only paid $125 :p (free shipping as well.)
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
Krunek
Krunek
11/08/2006 5:26 am
Originally Posted by: Jon Broderick

The sound from Aerosmith's Walk This Way...

Isn"t that Sweet Emotion? They use a talk box there... Didn"t hear it on Walk This Way... Anyhowz, the reason I brought this up is, I have a video of Aerosmith doing Sweet Emotion on some kind of award thing live. Well, at the outro solo, I could swore that the tones coming from the guitar were actually heard over the talk box thing. You know, like Perry was singing the solo through the talk box. But he was playing it, no doubt about it. Kind of confused here. :confused: Or am I wrong on the subject?
I mean, is this the way it is supposed to work?
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
11/08/2006 7:15 pm
Yeah, it's 'Sweet Emotion'... in the intro Joe Perry mouths "Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Emoooooooooooootiooooooooooooon" into the talk box making it sound like his guitar is saying the words... very cool. Jerry Cantrell gets that almost-a-Wah like sound in Man in the Box with one... Richie Sombora of Bon Jovi uses it in Livin' on a Prayer... and Zakk Wylde uses one on his Mafia record for Fire It Up..... those are some good examples of what a talk box sounds like...
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/08/2006 11:00 pm
Originally Posted by: KrunekIsn"t that Sweet Emotion? They use a talk box there... Didn"t hear it on Walk This Way... Anyhowz, the reason I brought this up is, I have a video of Aerosmith doing Sweet Emotion on some kind of award thing live. Well, at the outro solo, I could swore that the tones coming from the guitar were actually heard over the talk box thing. You know, like Perry was singing the solo through the talk box. But he was playing it, no doubt about it. Kind of confused here. :confused: Or am I wrong on the subject?
I mean, is this the way it is supposed to work?

The Talk Box is (as Jon said) pretty much a small amp that puts the sound in your mouth. It doesn't just make a steady noise in your mouth and you move your mouth to make sounds... you can play any riff through it, the sound just is funneled into your mouth and you move your mouth and the sounds goes into the mic and theough the PA. You can also set it up so the talk box is on as well as the normal sound coming through your amp.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/11/2006 4:57 pm
I got mine a few days ago (the 8th) and its pretty sweet. When I first saw the package, I wondered how big is this thing? I was under the impression from pictures that it was the size of a regular effects pedal, but this bad boy is the same size if not bigger than a POD.The distorion it puts out sounds pretty good and if it could be used as a great distortion pedal if it had the ability. The volume control comes in handy and you can really turn this thing up loud. I learned B.L.S.'s Fire It Up intro as well as Godsmack's Mistakes Intro (they use a talk box live) and they were both fairly easy to master. If I can get clips from my pocket recorder on my computer, I'll see if I can do a short sound clip.

Myspace
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.