Live sound

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
01/26/2004 12:02 am
I play my peavey bandit that is like 100 watts and i play it pretty loud and it sounds good sometimes but it isnt really clear it, all of the playing kinda gets all jumbled up and its hard to really here the definition in my playing but if i was to hook it up to a board then power amp then into a nice peavey speaker(s) would it be much clearer????????????, cuz im guessing the amp just sounds worst the louder it gets becasue it cant handle the sound as much as when i turn the amp down it sounds more clearer and i can here much of defintion, anyone know what could help and if the speakers would change the blurryness of the sound???, thanks
Mike ;)
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2004 12:34 am
Ok ever heard of Fletcher Munson Curves ? They basically show that your tone changes with volume. This means that you have to adjust your tone as you turn up.

If you can try turning on the vacuum cleaner, turn your amp up to stage volume and set your tone.

If not then during your sound check get a very long guitar cable, get as near to the back of the hall as you can and have a good listen to your self with the rest of the band. What do you sound like ? Try turning your mids or bass down a bit if you want more definition. Also laying off on the distortion can help !

best of luck dude
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
SPL
SPL
01/26/2004 11:27 pm
As you turn up your amp louder your ears will hear a greater increase in high and lows than in mids, this is what causes you to lose definition in your sound. Add to that the fact that your highs and lows will be drowned out by other instruments in the band, and you end up with a battle within the band just ot get heard.

Solution? Compensate for the "loss" of mids" when turning up your amp either by turning down the highs and lows or turning up the mids.
The middle fequencies are what make your sound clear, defined, and make you poke through the mix of a band.

Sending your signal through a PA system will not make your sound any clearer, only louder. You'll have the exact same problem, if not worse, if your sound is not adjusted to be played that loud in the first place.

[Edited by SPL on 01-26-2004 at 05:30 PM]
# 3
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
01/30/2004 12:47 am
does your lows and mids get drown out even if you have monitors??? But maybe my amp sounds bad when it is loud because of the speaker from the amp, u know, if i get the signal through the main speakers in the pa i think my sound will be better, do you agree? please answer back
Mike ;)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.